So im loooking to set up some recording equipment in my room, microphones and stuff. i know nothing about any of this so what are some suggestions on what to get.
please help
Music is a universal language and it need not be translated, with it soul speaks to soul.
a lot of people seem to like the Shure SM57, it's a decent quality mic for a reasonable price. maybe try asking in the Recording forum, they might know more about this sort of thing.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
oh okay, sorry about that
Music is a universal language and it need not be translated, with it soul speaks to soul.
Sm57 - Guitar, Vocal
Sm58 - Vocal

You need audio interface if you are working on a computer
and a shit load of expensive equipment. But for now those 2 mics and an audio interface!
Quote by truiteleague
Sm57 - Guitar, Vocal
Sm58 - Vocal

and a shit load of expensive equipment. But for now those 2 mics and an audio interface!

Or you can take the head off of a 58 and it becomes a 57, pretty much.
Quote by truiteleague
Sm57 - Guitar, Vocal
Sm58 - Vocal

I'd only get the sm57. The 58 is practically the same.

Maybe get a condenser as well?

Ok, this is what we need to know:
budget?
genres?
what you will be recording [ie just guitar, guitar and vocals, drums, an orchestra, whatever]?
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Sep 18, 2011,
Quote by mulefish
I'd only get the sm57. The 58 is practically the same.

Maybe get a condenser as well?

Ok, this is what we need to know:
budget?
genres?
what you will be recording [ie just guitar, guitar and vocals, drums, an orchestra, whatever]?

okay so im not planning on recording anyone but me. im just guna try and get a feel for recording and try to get the hang of it. Mainly just guitar. i dont have a very big budget but i could save money. and i do acoustic songs with my acoustic guitar and rock songs on electric guitars, so something thats good for both would be best
Last edited by logan97 at Sep 18, 2011,
For acoustic you will want a condenser mic. On the cheap I recommend an at2020.
For rock, you may want an sm57 for close micing the cab.

Then you will want an interface. Now, if you have firewire on your computer, then I recommend an interface that uses firewire, but otherwise usb2 is fine. I'd avoid usb1 if possible. Strangely, there are a lot of usb1 interfaces out, even though the technology is pretty outdated.

I don't know many interfaces but maybe look at the m-audio fast track range

For software, use reaper [if on a pc] or garageband on a mac.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by mulefish
For acoustic you will want a condenser mic. On the cheap I recommend an at2020.
For rock, you may want an sm57 for close micing the cab.

Then you will want an interface. Now, if you have firewire on your computer, then I recommend an interface that uses firewire, but otherwise usb2 is fine. I'd avoid usb1 if possible. Strangely, there are a lot of usb1 interfaces out, even though the technology is pretty outdated.

I don't know many interfaces but maybe look at the m-audio fast track range

For software, use reaper [if on a pc] or garageband on a mac.

okay thank you. this helps alot
God, Mulefish is the only person in this thread to post something useful. Stop by the Recording subforum, they can help more than the worthless pit monkeys
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp