I saw one in a pawnshop Rack style for $49.99, It was red and black I think that makes it the 362NR? I've Recently decided I want to go the way of the rack albeit a very simple one 3-4 spaces and I wondered if this would be a good addition. I currently have a Crate TDP tube preamp, which gets me a warm hairy clean, and a lead channel which can be downright brutal. My idea, is eventually Bass > Tuner > Sovtek Big Muff > Auto wah > Preamp > Sonic maximizer? EQ? > Power amp

Also where should a compressor go if I ever decide I should need one in that lineup?
I have a Sonic Stomp that I use for both bass and guitar to great effect. Although, I would suggest putting it in your effects loop at the very end of the chain to get the most out of it.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Waste of money if you're getting an eq. Despite all its marketing about phasing the high and low frequencies, the maximizer is just a super easy-to-use smiley face EQ.

It makes it sound like "a blanket has been removed from your cab" by boosting highs and lows, while cutting the "boxy" sounding mids. If you want that sound, it's fine, but the eq you get down the line will do the exact same thing.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Waste of money if you're getting an eq. Despite all its marketing about phasing the high and low frequencies, the maximizer is just a super easy-to-use smiley face EQ.

It makes it sound like "a blanket has been removed from your cab" by boosting highs and lows, while cutting the "boxy" sounding mids. If you want that sound, it's fine, but the eq you get down the line will do the exact same thing.

Same thing and more? I've read similar to what you've said some places about the BBESM. I've also read though, in some places that an EQ (as in a rack mount 14-50 slide etc) is pointless, you should just use a preamp you like. I am all about not spending money so I just want to get my facts straight.

Edit: I meant Sonic or an EQ whats a better thing to get if any? but I got your answer now I guess

2nd Edit: I am new to power amps, Why do they all seem to be over 1000 watts, yet most heads and combos stay under 500 watts? I don't think my cabs could handle that much and don't want to redo my rig just to power it
Last edited by askrere at Sep 18, 2011,
Quote by askrere
Same thing and more? I've read similar to what you've said some places about the BBESM. I've also read though, in some places that an EQ (as in a rack mount 14-50 slide etc) is pointless, you should just use a preamp you like. I am all about not spending money so I just want to get my facts straight.

It can do a lot more. The advantage of a nice graphic eq is that with 15 or 30 bands you get much more control than you do in a typical preamp (or even one with a graphic eq section as they usually only have 6-9 faders). It's not necessary for most people, but if you like it, it only gives you more sonic options which is never a bad thing. Deciding if it's worth the cost is completely up to you.

If you want to rig up a switch, you can even get a 2 channel eq and switch between them as you would channels on an amp for different sounds.

I personally try to keep it simple and stick to the tone options on my amp and pedals. But there are days when I know exactly what the tonal emphasis I want is and I know it's actually more work to try to coax that out of 3 bands (with a semi-parametric mid) than it would be with a good graphic eq.
Quote by askrere
whats parametric mean?

real parametric means you can adjust the frequency of the band (choose if my mid is say 600 or 800hz) and the bandwidth of the affected area (so how skinny or fat that crest or trough is when you eq a single band). Amps with them usually just have a semi-parametric eq for mid, which lets you adjust the frequency, but not the bandwidth.

I"m sure google can give you a more articulate description than I can though.
I think I get it. You're saying a parametric Mid or any tone pot, lets you select a preferred frequency and shape it.

Thanks, now do you know any EQ rackmounts for under $100
^^I know dbx is pretty popular, but I'll have to defer to the other forum member's expertise there. My only relevant advice is, don't get a behringer. I think their rack gear is a lot better than their guitar and bass gear, but it's still ridiculously fragile. I had their two-channel eq for under $100 and it sounded great, but it took no time at all for the faders to start breaking, and I used it as studio, not gigging, gear.