I have problems with well... EVERYTHING I end up writing, I always have the same strum pattern...

I always strum like this:

http://soundcloud.com/biting-the-bits/strum-pattern-problem

I REALLY need help with this, my girlfriend just said "It all sounds the same still."

So please help me with spicing up strum patterns to sound different!!!
Last edited by Never KnowsBest at Sep 18, 2011,
Quote by Martindecorum
your wife? DOB 1994?

Sorry, corrected. I got into a habit of calling her wife because we got these cool marble rings and we started to pretend to be married. We've been together for 5 months lol.
So far so good other than calling eachother wife and husband. XD
listen (and I mean really listen) to a few different bands that helped me out a lot with the same problem. Try playing without a pick. it tends to make you do different things with your right hand also helped me out quite a bit. If both of those fail try counting with a different weighting. i.e. waltz-y 3/4 as opposed to the 1 2+3+ you get more often in most modern stuff. Also try using different types of mutes or mutes in different places that can help.
Those things kept me going with different strumming patterns for quite a while. Hope you find them useful.
sorry to get off topic, but 5 months and youre calling each other husband and wife? thats only setting yourself up for depression later on
Quote by fungusigloo
sorry to get off topic, but 5 months and youre calling each other husband and wife? thats only setting yourself up for depression later on

You may have missed the part how it's a joke. Also; FOR ME, 5 months is the most I've ever gone with a woman. If I ever lose her or get tired of her, EVEN if I get depressed-- It will eventually pass over and I'll find someone who will last longer eventually.

Why be in fear of setting yourself up for depression when you can enjoy it at the moment, after-all you never know when you're going to die by natural causes. I'm not saying to go get drunk, party, do drugs and have crazy sex with random people. I'm saying, I'd rather enjoy a relationship with being who I am and them being who they are without dying an having not made happy memories.
In person if you saw us calling eachother wife and husband, knowing we've already been together for only 5 months, you would ignore it and continue either a conversation or just let it pass by.

But of course on the internet it is your private and personal manner to question it and have your own opinions on it because you're mentally bored and will say anything to keep a conversation going with someone or just to help.

It's also ironic how the happy memories make you more depressed than the bad memories. It's odd, is it not?
Quote by Never KnowsBest
You may have missed the part how it's a joke. Also; FOR ME, 5 months is the most I've ever gone with a woman. If I ever lose her or get tired of her, EVEN if I get depressed-- It will eventually pass over and I'll find someone who will last longer eventually.

Maybe don't let her see this^.
this thread.

Listen to and learn other songs, OP. Learn different strumming patterns by looking for them. Look up video lessons online.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
This is a really generic pattern. Do you know how to count and subdivide?

Also, throwing in small licks to transition chords makes it a lot more interesting. It's how Frusciante and Hendrix got by without rhythm guitarists.
modes are a social construct
Who cares if he calls his girlfriend wife, it has no affect on you, so you shouldn't care. As for your strumming problem, I'm not exactly sure how to help as I've never been caught up by that before. I also don't do a whole lot of strumming open chords, though. I'm sure if you Google "guitar strum patterns" it'll return with a plethora of material to keep you busy and practicing.

EDIT: After reading your profile I have two things to say. 1. The Pillows are awesome and write really fun music. 2. Saying you can't really express much on an acoustic guitar is a very foolish thing to say, and probably the biggest lie I've ever heard.
Last edited by MatthewLeisher at Sep 19, 2011,