So as you might of already guessed I have a 2002 American Superhighway deluxe strat, and I might be wasting your time by telling you I just picked up this bad boy and got it at my house last thursday:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/orange-amplifiers-thunder-series-th30c-30w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp/h70168000001000?src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=748247328

The sad panda part comes in because when I play through it I get some crazy noise, especially when I crank the distortion to a good 90% or 4 to 5 o'clcokish. So loud that in super high gain the noise is just shy of the volume of the distorted guitar.

Now I know that orange amps in their high gain glory can be noisy amps, but when I plug in any other guitar even a similar American strat with the same pickups the noise is substantially less. Again the problem exists in the clean channel, but not nearly as noticeable as on the dirty side.

So, hence my forum choice, I KNOW the problem is my guitar. I have a friend who is a pretty well versed guitar repair man for a local shop taking a look at it. He's replaced the jack and redid the wiring, and opened the pick guard and re-soldered every connection in the guitar, and has ruled out the pick-ups. But it's stumped him. He's having their senior guy look at it tomorrow.

But maybe, if I'm lucky, this is where the lovely folks in this community come in!

Thanks for the help, and, any takers?
...is that the primary ingredient is something called "olean" which I have since learned is Latin for "Unwashable & Indestructible Ass Grease."
Sounds like a grounding issue. Is the claw grounded?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I've never understood why the spring claw has a wire soldered to it until now. Is there anything similar on a hardtail guitar?
When he was working on it, it looked like it was grounded. But maybe it could of been a shotty job?

And, I'm not sure, but I would assume he re-did that connection when he did the others, but maybe not? I'll definitely ask him tomorrow.
...is that the primary ingredient is something called "olean" which I have since learned is Latin for "Unwashable & Indestructible Ass Grease."
Quote by Butt Rayge
I've never understood why the spring claw has a wire soldered to it until now. Is there anything similar on a hardtail guitar?

On a lot of Hardtaill Fenders, they run a bare ground wire out through the top of the guitar and underneath the bridge. The wire makes contact with the bridge and there's your ground.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Butt Rayge

And on TOM guitars, there's a wire leading to a bridge post.

TS: Shield that sucker's pickguard!
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku

Seems like another obvious potential culprit that could of been overlooked. I'll definitely mention that this afternoon as well, and let you guys know what kind of feedback I get. Thanks.
Last edited by sixstringdfreak at Sep 19, 2011,
Quote by Shinozoku

So he told me the pick guard was already shielded? I don't know nearly as much about fixing guitars as I do playing them, so I took his word for it.

He told me they were able to get most of the noise out though, and I'm meeting him at his shop tomorrow to go over what they did and give it a test drive.

Is a stock pick guard on an american strat commonly shielded? If so is it good enough of one?
So I got my guitar back finally, only to encounter the same problem. The guy said he re-did every connection in the guitar, made sure every ground was solid, and tested different pick ups in it to be sure.

Played it through the amp for about 15 min, with that same awful noise. Then, as if Henry winkler possessed my hand for a brief moment, I grazed something on the guitar with my pinky and the noise was gone. I've been ballsy enough to test it and it as yet to come back. Now this combo sounds amazing, indescribably so even. Thanks fonzie....

But I mean, WTF right? How is this possible?
could be a bad pot then, I have a bass with a bad pot and I have to shake it around to get it to stop squealing.

only reasons I haven't replaced it is because it's a concentric pot in a guitar with an active preamp which translates to absolute bitch to wire.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Hmmm, I don't know if either of us even tested those? It would make sense though, because I bumped either the volume or one of the tones the first time it fixed itself.

Last night it played fine again, but the day before I took it to a friends (amp and guitar) and the horrible buzzing was ever present. Like it has a mind of it's own, and I'm not sure what to do because I've got a big show coming up fast this weekend...

If it was a pot that needed to be replaced, why would such a light bump on one translate into the buzzing disappearing and returning seemingly randomly?

Edit: Also would it be possible that the shielding on the pick guard just isn't a great one? Or is this a black and white issue?

The more I research the more it's sounding like it could be a combination of bad pot / shielding, though my friend said it's already shielded. Because when the 2 and 4 of the Single Coils are selected the noise is reduced when the problem's occurring.
Last edited by sixstringdfreak at Oct 3, 2011,
I mispook above, the sound of the noise slightly changes with pickup selection, but depending on the pick up if I turn the corresponding tone knob all the way down I can eliminate a significant amount of the noise.

This is obviously an unfortunate solution as I am sacrificing a lot of tone control...
So, rather then start a new thread it seems to make sense to keep it all here, despite a recent lack of responses?

But maybe everyone is as lost as me.

Same thing happened. The 'master' repair man at the shop took it this time. Replaced I believe at least one pot and tested every connection in the guitar.

Brought it home, plugged it in, the problem was gone, euphoria for a couple hours.

I came back later before a show to just test it out again, and it was back... This is blowing my mind and driving me up a wall simultaneously.

One new hint now I've noticed is that if I point the pickups in very specific directions the buzzing will almost completely disappear. Do I need new pickups? I really don't want to lose the unique sound of my guitar I've grown to love.

Should I try replacing all the pots before that step?

As before any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
TL;DR

Give it to me
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
dude, the shielding should all be checked with a meter.

and try a star ground system.

and i'm sure the master repair guy is great and all,
but the guitar isnt fixed so....

all i'm saying is that if he was a doctor, i'd say get a second opinion.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
One new hint now I've noticed is that if I point the pickups in very specific directions the buzzing will almost completely disappear.

How far from the guitar are you when this happens? It could be that the particular pickups in your guitar just happen to be picking up your amp as interference.
I've been having the same situation with my BC Rich Avenge. I think it must be the shielding. How can I tell if the electronics inside are properly shielded?
My gear:
Fender Showmaster FMT HH
BC Rich Avenge
1971 Gibson SG Pro
Vox Valvetronix VT100
1980 Martin D-18 (message me if you're in the market for one; my tiny fingers would prefer a Taylor)
Celebrity Ovation
Quote by jpnyc
One new hint now I've noticed is that if I point the pickups in very specific directions the buzzing will almost completely disappear.

How far from the guitar are you when this happens? It could be that the particular pickups in your guitar just happen to be picking up your amp as interference.

I'm standing with it with a strap. If you meant how far from the amp, the distance doesn't seem to make a difference but I've tested it at 1 - 7 feet.

TL;DR

Give it to me

Sorry for the lengthy posts, just want to be sure to give sufficient info. But no, you can't have my baby... :P
Quote by jj1565
dude, the shielding should all be checked with a meter.

and try a star ground system.

and i'm sure the master repair guy is great and all,
but the guitar isnt fixed so....

all i'm saying is that if he was a doctor, i'd say get a second opinion.

Sorry for the delay. Left town with no internet for a while, but I totally agree with. The kicker is that both of these guys have taken my guitar in 3 times and have yet to charge me a dime.

But now, the younger guy is suggesting it's the pickups. Something interesting, that the same buzz occurs on a Mexi-strat only when position one is selected (or 5 not sure which way that goes (closest to the pots)).
Could be that the pickups aren't potted.

But I mean, they are single coils. You're going to get noise, regardless.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Could be that the pickups aren't potted.

But I mean, they are single coils. You're going to get noise, regardless.

Yea, on other guitars w/ similar pickups there's noise, but the STN ratio is more like 10:1, instead of say 2:1 or 1:1.

Would potting them be the same as completely re-wiring / recoiling them? He mentioned that, but followed saying mine as well get entirely new pickups.

Also, OT but, I like the last line of your sig.
I don't know a whole lot about it, but I believe it's a delicate process. And also pricey? And I think it's easy to mess up. I've heard some bad results from people trying to pot their own pickups.

And thank you
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yea, I think that's why he suggested I just get new pick ups.

He seemed to be pretty against the idea of me buying new upgraded fender single coils, and pointed me to Seymour Duncan.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?