I play in two bands. One of them is an acoustic/grunge band, influenced by Pearl Jam, Audioslave, Stone Temple Pilots and The Pretty Reckless mainly, in this band I play with fingers most of the time.

The second one is a math rock/metal band influenced by Tool, A Perfect Circle, Foals, Soundgarden and Megadeth (I know, weird mix but trust me, it's got a little bit of every band mentioned), here I play pickstyle most of the time.

I love Justin Chancellor's tone, it's my favorite. It's f*cking insane. Also like the bass tones APC get. As for the acoustic/grunge band, Jeff Ament and Timmy C's tones are awesome.

I have a Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio with Quarter Pound P/J pickups.

My question is, what kind of strings should I look for to get the tones I kinda want?

(If I have to pick just one it would be Justin's tone, but I'd prefer something that I can use with both bands.)
Current Gear:
Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio (Bass)
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Boss ODB-3 (Overdrive Pedal)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
It's a matter of personal taste though nickle string will have a rounder tone while the stainless will have a piano like tone.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
As I recall, Justin Chancellor uses Ernie Ball Power Slinky strings, and these are nickel plated. Sadly, Chancellor also uses a Wal bass and a boatload of uber-expensive gear, so his sound is not available on the cheap.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I've heard both Justin Chancellor and David Ellefson use nickel plated strings though they both have very bright tones that cut through the mix, I don't get it, why is that? Is there really a huge difference between stainless steel and nickel strings?
Current Gear:
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
I know that David Ellefson picks near the bridge.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
they boost the mids, how well you cut through the mix is all in the EQ, not the strings. Chancellor plays somewhere around 4-8-5. I don't know about Ellefson, I can't think of his songs in my head right now.

That said, I personally prefer the sound of steel, but nickel strings feel better on my hands
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
I'm currently using Rotosound Swing 66s and am not very pleased with the sound. It sounds dull and the strings are just 2 weeks old. I'm thinking of switching to nickel.
Current Gear:
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)