Poll: How long take to get serious?
Poll Options
View poll results: How long take to get serious?
Marriage and Beyond
0 0%
Engagement and Beyond
8 6%
1-Year and Beyond
31 23%
6 Months and Beyond
45 34%
To Infinity and Beyond
50 37%
Voters: 134.
Page 1 of 2
So pit, I'm just sittin here thinkin about a past relationship and wondering if I could call it serious or not. I know its a pretty subjective term, but there has to be some sort of consensus.

I mean, is it serious only if its a marriage? or does it become serious at engagement? or maybe its serious at one year? Sooner?

My idea of a serious relationship looks something like this.
-Straight up chemistry
-Sex
-Amount of time spent with the person
-ADMITTANCE that both parties involved believe it to be "serious"

I think the admittance is part is crucial.

TL;DR So pit, what do you think constitutes a serious relationship and how fast can that possibly occur?
Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
Could be overnight/a couple of months/a couple of years. I think your last point on the couple agreeing that it is serious is probably the best indicator. For someone outside, I would suggest that when a couple starts saying they love each other it is pretty serious, but that probably wouldn't apply to 90% of all secondary/high school relationships.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
When you're older than 18 and not in it just for the sex.
Check out my band Disturbed
it's serious when you start to commit to each other... biggest commitment is marriage, engagement is also pretty serious, but you probably know how committed you are to them... e.g. if you had a bit of a fight, would you stay or go... if you'll stay through the hard times then I'd say thats getting serious
---
All of your criteria work for me. I'd add "relationship based on an intimacy and love that transcend sexual attraction," though (a bit poorly worded, but it's late and I can hardly articulate what I want to say...).
Quote by StewieSwan

Sounds about right.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
As soon as the door with the sign 'EXIT' starts fading.

When you start thinking dumping him/her is becoming less an option, I would call it serious.
Does that mean you have a good relationship? No.
Just because I have some strong opinions doesn't mean I agree with everything I say.
Quote by Portuguese_boy
When she lets you take a shit on her chest.

While the other points are valid, this wins.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by Dynamight
Easy: when you move in together.

I would say thats a good indicator.

That being said, everyone who moves in together is serious, but not everyone who is serious moves in.
Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
i think this is a very subjective question with more than one right answer. It depends on factors of maturity, what each partner wants out of the relationship, personal belief if love at first site exists, and several other factors.
If the couple is immature it probably take a long time to get serious. More than likely the relationship will never reach a serious level. This due to as soon as things get too real a person with bail.
If the couple in a relationship want different things out of the relationship then one might see it as serious when the other person is just having fun.
If you believe in love at first site then time doesn't make a difference. For example Danny Bonaduce and now his ex-wife Gretchen. They went on a blind date, fell in love, and got married the same day. They stayed married for more than 15 years. Time was irrelevant.
Personally i believe youre serious when exclusiveness has been established. Another big step is when you have passed your first big argument and are still with him/her. Finally the L bomb can be an indicator too. However not always the case as people overuse love or sometimes confused love for simple physical attraction.
Again all subjective and only the people in the relationship know, and sometimes they are in the dark
I am not siging you jackass
I accidentally clicked Engagement and beyond because I am a herpderp.

However, 6 months in is long enough to say it is a serious relationship.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
It was about 4 months with my current girlfriend before we felt it was serious and not just some summer fling.

Now it's about 15 months, still going strong.
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
Quote by sharpshootr55
It was about 4 months with my current girlfriend before we felt it was serious and not just some summer fling.

Now it's about 15 months, still going strong.

Quote by drop-dead666
Quote by MakinLattes
))<>((

If there is any tragedy it's serious.

but high schoolers make everything tragic...
Castles made of sand
Fall to the sea
Eventually
Best joke option ever. Engagement is pretty serious. I'd say a year is, too, but that's mainly because I've never had anyone for more than a week.
the longer we stay together the more my perception changes.

been together 5 n a half years. It's not serious.........

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

somewhere between 1-2 years.
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Quote by devourthekitten
To hell with "serious." "Serious" for me is having to share my bed with the bitch after we do the deed. And by "serious," I mean "a serious problem."

hahaha, qft

Quote by Butt Rayge
Best joke option ever.

I won't lie, I'm a bit proud of it myself
Quote by drop-dead666
It's really different for everyone. I think more than anything, it depends on the mindset and maturation of the people involved. For some, it may take a couple years, for others, it may take a couple months. I think it has a lot more to do with the chemistry, maturity, and mindset of the people in the relationship.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Meh, dunno, I just came out of a relationship that was pre-time limited at three months when we were going to uni in different cities. Partly because she had been a very close friend of mine for years, and partly because it was such a compressed thing, I felt like it got quite serious quite quickly. So I don't know.
No set time, but when you actually fall in love. Also, don't mistake me, love isn't the feeling you get at the beginning of a relationship. Love isn't what drives you to go out and win the girl or whatever, that's infatuation and/or lust. Love is a very passive feeling. Love is a realization that you know this person now and you're better off with them than without them. Love often isn't realized until you're faced with losing the person you love. It annoys me when people are like "I fell out of love with this person". No you didn't, you never loved them, you just let that beginning feeling overwhelm your decision making and now they generally annoy you, you don't fall out of love with someone unless they make hard left turn changes, like they become drug addicts through the course of your relationship or something (does not apply if they were an addict beforehand).
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
When it's official on Facebook. Everybody knows that.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: A bunch of forced listening by my composition teacher... some great stuff by Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Liszt...

GTA V! ... the 120th game of the franchise.
Last edited by Wolfinator-x at Sep 19, 2011,
Quote by Portuguese_boy
When she lets you take a shit on her chest.

You made me spit water

OT: It is serious when it is serious. There is not a set definement. I feel like 3-6 months is usually pretty good, but it can definitely happen much earlier or later.
Quote by travs2448

How many of you are vegan?
Hopefully none

Does anyone know any fun recipes?
Yeah a big juicy flank steak

What can be done with tofu?
Nothing it taste like crap

Is there such thing as vegan meat? Vegan sausages ect
WTF ARE YOU ON?
It gets serious when, during sex, you try a little bit of sodomy and she still stays with you.
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
When you decide that it is.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Serious is more of a feeling. You can stay with someone for a long time just to use them. There's nothing wrong with that, btw.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
When it's official on Facebook. Everybody knows that.

My girlfriend started a facebook relationship with a female friend of hers while I was in vacations

On topic, we're both quite mature and feel like it's a serious thing, despite only being together for 1 month
Quote by StewieSwan
Pretty much this.
It's more of a mental thing. There are people who live together and have been dating forever but aren't serious. When you really commit to each other, then it's getting serious. Some amount of time is needed, but time doesn't equate to quality.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
You guys have got some pretty interesting takes on it but one thing that seems to be agreed upon is that time is negligible for the most part, which is what I was truly curious about.

I was in a relationship/fling over summer. It was a 4 month deal. I was bummed when it ended but I was trippin last night wondering what I could call it. After reading what people think, I would say it wasn't serious. Though we both really dug each other, or so it seemed, and spent loads of time together, sex, etc; I don't feel like we were committed to each other.

Commitment seems to be one of the largest factors in determining seriousness. 4srs.
Quote by drop-dead666
I think it's up to you. You both could be serious after a day. People aren't going to take your relationship seriously after that period of time, and I think it needs to be about a year before people properly take your relationship seriously.
By some of you guys definitions, I've been in a serious relationship. weird.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Page 1 of 2