I'm sure we've all been there, but lately I've just been in a really deep ditch of songwriting limbo. Everything I come up with just isn't satisfying me. And I listen to some of my favorite songs/bands, and it just kills me that I can't write these epic things.

I'm not stupid, I'm not expecting to be writing mega hits or anything, but I just want to write good songs, or at least good guitar parts.

Half blowing off steam, half question...
What to do?
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
I get the same way sometimes. There will be times when I can't write a god damn riff to save my soul, but other times I can pump them out like I was genetically manufactured in a lab to see if they could create a riff writing, part machine, part human.
Just write. Don't wait for inspiration.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Stop caring = better songs. Really.
What do you guys listen to when playing video games?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Sorry, didn't realize I was that loud.

I'll be leaving your closet now.
Look for someone else to jam with... It helps! You can bounce ideas of each other and mix your own styles together...

When I sit their alone writing stuff or recording stuff, it feels like Im running in circle with the same boring riffs or chords just in different keys....

When you play with someone else they might say "Oh add this to the end of that" or something, and that will then lead you to say "Oh yeah and then play THIS ... HERE".. etc...
Quote by AlanHB
Just write. Don't wait for inspiration.

This x9001

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Quote by Snakebite94
Look for someone else to jam with... It helps! You can bounce ideas of each other and mix your own styles together...

When I sit their alone writing stuff or recording stuff, it feels like Im running in circle with the same boring riffs or chords just in different keys....

When you play with someone else they might say "Oh add this to the end of that" or something, and that will then lead you to say "Oh yeah and then play THIS ... HERE".. etc...

This is so true. Its also a very good way to learn new things.
for me...i leave music behind and explore other art expressions...painting, writing, theater, film..read auto-bios of artists...discover their lives and how they approach their craft...on the visual side..study some of the works or Dali or Escher..(you can hear music when you view their work)some of the best writers in fiction & non-fiction can inspire emotions and ideas that can be translated into musical prose..elmore leonard's' crime novels have a musical soundtrack in every chapter...

most importand..relax with the creative process..you cant force it..it will grow at its own time and place

play well

wolf
Sometimes learning something new can spark your imagination.

Find a new chord/voicing, an exotic scale (and harmonize it), or maybe learn a cover tune and "mutate" that riff.
I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to.

"To be successful, you need to be a good musician. To be popular, you just need to be fashionable" - Ritchie Blackmore
Go find a Thesaurus of Melodic Patterns for scales. It's a great rut buster and if you work through it very slowly, it will definitely expose you to fresh ways of looking and hearing what you play. That, in and of itself isnt your full answer, but a lot of times we hit a rut because we have a very limited vision of what these notes can be, we tend to learn whole scales and then blaze through them, almost forgoing listening or being creative, in the interest of speed and technique, and then we look around wondering why we arent feeling that great about our playing.

Change up what you do intentionally, and you'll start to experience growth.

Good luck.

Best,

Sean
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
I'm sure we've all been there, but lately I've just been in a really deep ditch of songwriting limbo. Everything I come up with just isn't satisfying me. And I listen to some of my favorite songs/bands, and it just kills me that I can't write these epic things.

I'm not stupid, I'm not expecting to be writing mega hits or anything, but I just want to write good songs, or at least good guitar parts.

Half blowing off steam, half question...
What to do?

I would suggest that your biggest problem is envy, which is very common amongst guitarists these days. In a culture where our role models are worshiped it's easy to get into a position where you judge every single note you play and deem them unworthy. the problem with this approach as you are now learning, is that it stops you in your tracks. you end up defeating yourself.

the solution I would suggest is to stop being overly judgmental and allow yourself to enjoy the act of playing the instrument/ writing music.
shred is gaudy music