Just bought my first guitar with a floyd rose, and i was pretty not keen on tuning etc, but i've got to say, it was almost exactly the same as tuning a regular guitar and not the slightest bit difficult..

So why do so many people say FRs are such a pain.. I've heard things along these lines countless times, and it's what really steered my away from getting a guitar with an FR for a while. I just don't understand what's so difficult about using them? The only time i can see it being a pain is if you're playing live an you need to change tunings quickly and only have one guitar. Under any other circumstances though, i just don't understand..

Somebody enlighten me please.
You answered your own question. It takes longer to change strings on a FR than any other system there is. It's a pita.
They are also very touchy to use. The smallest pressure will make the trem move. That can be considered a good or a bad thing depending on your taste/technique.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Sounds like you intentionally bought a FR to prove a point
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
well they can be a pain to change the strings and if you need to do intonation or want to change the gauge of strings it could take a while to get it right

it isnt as bad as people say it is thought i think its worth it when your up on stage and you end a badass solo with a divebomb and a flutter and you feel like a boss
I thought the same thing when I first got one but things can happen that will irritate the living hell out of you. If you learn how to use them and maintain them then they can be your best friend but if you do something like trying to lower the bridge action without knowing EXACTLY what you are doing you might permanently screw up the tuning stability. Sigh, that happened to me. It didn't turn me off from them but maintaining them is a learning experience.

P.S. What happened is I tried to adjust the bridge height without first loosening the strings. DO NOT DO THAT IT WILL DULL THE KNIFE EDGES OF THE FLOYD AND PERMANENTLY SCREW U[ THE STABILITY.
Because they're dificult to set up. They're easy to keep maintained though.

It's annoying if you're the type of person who MUST change strings every week or so. Keep 'em on until they break and you might not ever need to retune it again.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
I think a fair bit of it is people who dont use the trem getting annoyed at the added fuss of changing their strings and having second thoughts about the guitar they now own.
---
The only ones that think they are annoying to use are those that dont know how to use it.
Quote by vayne92
Just bought my first guitar with a floyd rose, and i was pretty not keen on tuning etc, but i've got to say, it was almost exactly the same as tuning a regular guitar and not the slightest bit difficult..

So why do so many people say FRs are such a pain.. I've heard things along these lines countless times, and it's what really steered my away from getting a guitar with an FR for a while. I just don't understand what's so difficult about using them? The only time i can see it being a pain is if you're playing live an you need to change tunings quickly and only have one guitar. Under any other circumstances though, i just don't understand..

Somebody enlighten me please.

give it time, you'll see. with that being said, once set up, they are fun to use
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Last edited by madh4ttr at Sep 19, 2011,
Quote by Cathbard
The smallest pressure will make the trem move. That can be considered a good or a bad thing depending on your taste/technique.

this.

if that's something you consider to be a bad thing, then it's going to be extremely annoying.

but at the end of the day it's subjective. some people like them, some don't. and sstony, it's about preference, not competence
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
1. longer to tune and set up
2. can't change tunings whenever you feel like it
3. knife edges wear out and need replacing
4. tuning stability can be a problem
5. decreased sustain (usually not always)

Overall its a hassle not worth it if you A. don't own other guitars and B. don't use the FR enough to warrant it.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
1. longer to tune and set up
2. can't change tunings whenever you feel like it
3. knife edges wear out and need replacing
4. tuning stability can be a problem
5. decreased sustain (usually not always)

Overall its a hassle not worth it if you A. don't own other guitars and B. don't use the FR enough to warrant it.

What he said...
But i've never replaced a kife edge
And i own 7 guitars with Floyds so changing tunings is as easy and changing guitars
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions
What's the advantage to having a fr is there's so many downsides to it?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by kutless999
What's the advantage to having a fr is there's so many downsides to it?

They're fun to use
Quote by jeffmetalhead
They're fun to use

That's it?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Mainly...there is some string stability and sustain properties, but it's mainly for making cool noises and player expression...think of it as a wah pedal or any effect pedal
Quote by kutless999
That's it?

It opens new doors to your playing.

Give a person who has never played an FR before I will be he will rest his/her palm to hard on the bridge and hate it because the pitched changed.

It really becomes second nature and you don't even think about it. Then you start using the bar and it sounds like shit.... then one day you can't make it sound of of tune even if you tried.

Great system and just give you more control and more options. You can't possibly know unless you play one.

If you want 1 guitar and love to change tuning then it isn't for you.
or the fact once tuned up it wont go out of tune.

they can also make the way the ugitar feels better, I dont use trems but love the string spacing and the feel of the bridge.

they allow you to do both traditional vibrato or mental wanking

you can block it and make your guitar rock solid tuning

you can make horse noises

some great guitars only come with a trem

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
FRs are rock solid once you get them setup well with the strings streched properly imo more solid then most other bridges. This is why you'll find people that block them off but still use them over the likes of hardtails and tuneomatic because the double locking adds quite a bit of stability.
The only downfall for me is the tuning swap...but, thats why i own 11. And to be honest, constant tuning swaps has to be hard on your neck...
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
Quote by BreeBreeMiikey
The only downfall for me is the tuning swap...but, thats why i own 11. And to be honest, constant tuning swaps has to be hard on your neck...

yep, in the long run it's better for the neck to maintain a constant level of tension rather than to keep changeing it often by doing things like changing tunings. obviously certain techniques including whammy techniques do change the tension on the neck but only momentarily so it's not a problem.

since i always keep guitars in a particular tuning for long periods of time and set them up appropriately that side of owning a FR isn't a problem at all for me, but i just don't use trems for anything more than very subtle vibrato effects so a FR is pretty redundant for me. besides, i like bigsbys better for subtle things.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I personally think the main upside with the floyd rose is the setup for a specific tuning thing.
More guitars for different tunings are good!
Quote by madh4ttr
give it time, you'll see. with that being said, once set up, they are fun to use

Yup. Wait until you have an issue and realize how damn touchy that thing is. Of course it works well out of the box when set up... If it didn't it'd never sell. The annoying part is keeping working that way indefinitely.

I hate all trems, FRs I wouldn't even consider.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Blompcube
yep, in the long run it's better for the neck to maintain a constant level of tension rather than to keep changeing it often by doing things like changing tunings. obviously certain techniques including whammy techniques do change the tension on the neck but only momentarily so it's not a problem.

since i always keep guitars in a particular tuning for long periods of time and set them up appropriately that side of owning a FR isn't a problem at all for me, but i just don't use trems for anything more than very subtle vibrato effects so a FR is pretty redundant for me. besides, i like bigsbys better for subtle things.

Im honestly a kahler trem guy...the myths about tuning are due to poor set up.

But, i mean, i've abused the hell out of a few of my cheaper trems. One being a TRS101 which came on my Vester...has held up amazing.

Yup. Wait until you have an issue and realize how damn touchy that thing is. Of course it works well out of the box when set up... If it didn't it'd never sell. The annoying part is keeping working that way indefinitely.

I hate all trems, FRs I wouldn't even consider.

Thats why you learn to properly set them up...it's honestly not very hard to get it to balance if you understand how it works(which you should know before touching one.) Just chalk of this excuse as being lazy and be done with it.

Also to address the palm muting complaints: You dont have to hulk a guitar around...good technique will show you this in time i guess...
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220