Ok, I'm gonna buy axe fx. I have been playing around with 1 for a couple of weeks now that was loaned to me. I generally as a rule hate amp sim multi fx units cause they sound to fake. More to the point, they clai
to sound as good as the real thing and as much as I tried to replicate the sound of my 5150, pod or gt never got close. The axe fx does.

What I wanna know is, should I get a 2nd hand axe fx ultra or get the new one with dual processor. Is there really much diff between the 2?
Originally Posted by ibanez_guru
ARE YOU TONE ******ED??????

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.
I hear the new Axe FX 2 has more realistic simulators, I think it's all just placebo. People need to justify burning 20g on a supposedly revolutionary piece of gear that is hardly better than its predecessor.
I forgot to mention that most of the time I'm gonna run it through my mode 4 head and cab. The mode 4 cab sounds insane with my 5150 as it is.

Quote by gregs1020

I think the best approach would be to sell your JCM800, 5150, and ModeFour cab. Save up, buy the Axe FX 2, then instead of a 4x12 cab get two Atomic 2x12 powered cabinets. Another possibility would be to just get some nice powered monitors like the Mackie HD line and run the Axe through there. Depends how much money you want to spend though..
the axe 2 has separate processors for amps and effects. it seems like it will be better for deeper editing and more elaborate patches. and i'm sure it does some a good bit better though.

but if you are just trying to get a few good basic tones, the original axe will probably be good enough
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by polishedbullet
I think the best approach would be to sell your JCM800, 5150, and ModeFour cab. Save up, buy the Axe FX 2, then instead of a 4x12 cab get two Atomic 2x12 powered cabinets. Another possibility would be to just get some nice powered monitors like the Mackie HD line and run the Axe through there. Depends how much money you want to spend though..

The JCM800 was left to me from my uncle. He bought it in the 80's and i will never sell it. My 5150 is one of a kind. Never come across another one that sounded so good. Money isnt so much of an option. Its more that i want the versatility of the axe fx and im wondering if its worth the extra $$ for the newer model as opposed to the original.

Quote by gregs1020

I am VERY interested in trying the new one.. I really want one one.. but at this point I can't drop the money to upgrade.. Especially considering I am perfectly happy with my standard.

If you have the cash for an Axe II rig I would go for it.. 6 months ago that was the price of a new ultra almost
/rig
honestly, polished bullet gave a good example tbh.

with the dual tone processing, if its anything like the pod500, it can sound amazing. being able to eq 2 seperate amps and blend them together really helps you (especially me since i run straight to the mixer on stage). would it get the exact jcm800 response? no, but i've tried a plexi and a jcm 800, blended them, had a comp after, and a booster before. it sounded like a high quality recording

edit: haven't heard the axe fx 2 yet, but if they say that its a genuine improvement across the board, so i would imagine so.
Last edited by 00_hns_00 at Sep 19, 2011,
Yeah i agree, it just wouldnt be the same response as the JCM or 5150. I always said i would never get another multi fx but after playing around with the axe fx, i changed my mind. They are worth the money. Im definately not gonna sell any of my other gear because its been my sound for a long time, its more i just want some more tonal variety with some other projects i am going to undertake.

Maybe im just becoming a tone *****!

Quote by gregs1020

maybe. you can also blend the amps actual effect, like you can dial them out, so that dry signal passes through. that way you can do just ALITTLE bit of tweaking to the tone.
yeah i think i might shell out the $$ for the new model.

Quote by gregs1020

i heard comparison between the ultra, axefx2, and 11r. the guy who did it said just get the axefx2, but the difference in sound was almost neglible.to the point where through my laptop speakers i didnt hear it, through my external speakers i coudnt hear it, just barely through my sony headset. so its very minimal to me, if i were to get an axe fx itd be the II version just so its the most recent one and all, but a used ultra would work just as well, especially if you find a good deal on an ultra.

Im actually debating getting one too. the portability and versatility is drawing me to it, but ITd be my main live Rig, THEN a recording tool, and im not 100% convinced on the axefx live yet.
The Ultra is FULL. As in, there's practically no more room for improvement, which is why they developed the Axe2. The Axe2 stil has a lot of room for upgrades (yet sounds a bit better than the Ultra) , not to mention USB and internal reamping options.

If you don't need that stuff, then the Axe Ultra is great. The Axe Ultra is just the Axe 1 with less memory/processing power, but the same tone, AFAIK.

I have an ultra in my rack case, but I wouldn't gig without a backup. However! That's true for any rig, regardless of if it's digital modeling or tubes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OxpPPjl_Xs&feature=player_embedded

Excellent Axe FX ultra live tone.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Yeah im gonna go with the II. Only prob is, Im in australia, the place where we throw shrimp on the BBQ, everything is worth twice than what the rest of the world pays, the only other country that drinks more is Ireland and our Prime Minister is a Female Ranga....

ITS GONNA COST MEGA $$$$$$$

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by ibanez_guru
Yeah im gonna go with the II. Only prob is, Im in australia, the place where we throw shrimp on the BBQ, everything is worth twice than what the rest of the world pays, the only other country that drinks more is Ireland and our Prime Minister is a Female Ranga....

ITS GONNA COST MEGA $$$$$$$

There is a Fractal dealer in australia, but I don't know what their prices are.

But again, I cannot stress enough the importance of getting a quick backup rig. Right now I'm running an Engl e530 and TC electronics Gmajor 2 for backup, and my old pedalboard for backup backup.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra