Hello UG,

I want to know a good guitar in the price range of roughly 400 - 700 euro/dollars.

I know some people personally who play taylors and I liked the sound, but they had guitars in the 1000 - 1200 dollar range.

I want to know if the lower priced taylors are much lower quality, both in sound balance and build quality.

(read something about laminated sapele used for their bodies)

- I play mostly fingerstyle guitar, and I want a fairly loud guitar, with a good balance of bass and treble. Especially not too boomy of a bass.

- I prefer a full sound in the top strings, due to playing a lot of single note melodies.

- I prefer a more bright character then a dark character.

- I play with 0.12 regular string set

- A cutaway would be nice, but not necessary.

- semi-acoustic would be nice, but not necessary.

- I have no preference of brand, just that I liked the taylors I played.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
i personally wouldn't go for a taylor 100 or 200 series, but i don't like bright guitars. i expect that taylors are more expensive where you are, but i suspect that if you can find a used 114/110 or 214/210, you'll like it as long as you don't mind the narrower nut. most - but not all - fingerstyle players prefer a somewhat wider nut. i prefer the 114 to the 214.

i find that yamahas tend to be brighter than some guitars, and they make some nice ones. although the fg's have a 1 11/16" nut like the taylors. you might consider this one http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_fgx_720sc_bk_b_stock_2.htm

it's b stock, but the guitars usually in your price range are all laminate where this one has a solid top. it's got electronics and a cutaway. you might be able to find the non-b-stock model cheaper at a different store. here it is in natural with recordings on the page so you can hear it in action http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_fgx_720sc_nt.htm
if you're looking for smaller, you might want to look for the fsx 720.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
i personally wouldn't go for a taylor 100 or 200 series, but i don't like bright guitars. i expect that taylors are more expensive where you are, but i suspect that if you can find a used 114/110 or 214/210, you'll like it as long as you don't mind the narrower nut. most - but not all - fingerstyle players prefer a somewhat wider nut. i prefer the 114 to the 214.

i find that yamahas tend to be brighter than some guitars, and they make some nice ones. although the fg's have a 1 11/16" nut like the taylors. you might consider this one http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_fgx_720sc_bk_b_stock_2.htm

it's b stock, but the guitars usually in your price range are all laminate where this one has a solid top. it's got electronics and a cutaway. you might be able to find the non-b-stock model cheaper at a different store. here it is in natural with recordings on the page so you can hear it in action http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_fgx_720sc_nt.htm
if you're looking for smaller, you might want to look for the fsx 720.

Alright, so why the wider nut?

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
wider nut generally means wider string spacing - more room between the fingers - it's very good to have for your plucking hand, but i find a wider nut is also way more comfy for the fretting hand because it's less cramped. i won't even buy a 1 11/16" nut guitar any more, but some people find it more comfortable.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Sep 19, 2011,
Quote by patticake
wider nut generally means wider string spacing - more room between the fingers - it's very good to have for your plucking hand, but i find a wider nut is also way more comfy for the fretting hand because it's less cramped. i won't even buy a 1 11/16" nut guitar any more, but some people find it more comfortable.

Ah I see.

You seem quite knowledgable in this area.

I also wonder how people can tap on acoustic guitar. I can do it, and I'm 100% sure my technique is al right, but the sound is too thin. The overall consistency of the individual notes is alright when tapping, but it's just a general low volume.

I reckon it has to do either with the action, string gauge or just not enough projection from the guitar itself. (it's a low end Richwood). Or maybe you get a better sound when mic-ed/jacked?

Also the Yamaha is not that expensive, is it more of a lower end sound/guitar? I'm really searching for a step up, and I might even settle in the end for a 1000 buck guitar anyway if I can't be convinced for a middle end.

Also I looked through the site you linked me (thomann.de), and I noticed a big stock from a company called seagull. Could you enlighten me more on these guitars if you can?

My sincere thanks.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
i've been playing fingerstyle for a looong time

my husband can tap really well on both acoustic and electric - i don't tap very well on either i agree that action or string gauge could be the reason, but it could be slightly different technique. an acoustic electric plugged in might bring the sound out more.

it's not lower end than the taylor as both are solid top guitars with laminate back and sides. yamaha tends to price their guitars lower than taylor, but they make some good ones. since i don't care for bright guitars, i'm not the most useful person when it comes to bright. my preferences tend to have plenty of bass as well as nice treble. with taylor and martin, part of what you are paying for is the name. that's not to say that the taylor low end guitars aren't pretty good - they are - but i would say that if you go a step up to the yamaha L series, taylors are no better, either.

i used to have a taylor gc8 with a 1 3/4" nut - very nice guitar. perhaps a used gc4 might work for you. and you might want to try some used larrivees and guild GADs. they're both good quality guitars that have models that are fairly bright.
Quote by Skeet UK
if your looking for a steel string there are some nice recording kings that are all solid for not too much money (a sub brand of johnson, asian made but nice for the cost for sure, I love mine), blueridges are nice too but a bit more up in the money, not as much as taylors depending on the model.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
recording kings a sub brand of johnson? i think they are both sub brands of The Music Link.

if you can order from elderly where you're at, this might be a guitar well worth looking into. all solid, 1 3/4" c shaped neck, scary good value, and all the rk 000's i've played are both balanced and pretty loud. i wouldn't call this a bright guitar like a taylor, but it's not boomy, either. to be fair, most of my experience with rk 000's are their higher up models, but the lower models hold their own. http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/recording-king-ro-10-%22000%22-classic-series--RO10.htm

Quote by spiroth10
if your looking for a steel string there are some nice recording kings that are all solid for not too much money (a sub brand of johnson, asian made but nice for the cost for sure, I love mine), blueridges are nice too but a bit more up in the money, not as much as taylors depending on the model.
Quote by Skeet UK
Quote by patticake
recording kings a sub brand of johnson? i think they are both sub brands of The Music Link.

if you can order from elderly where you're at, this might be a guitar well worth looking into. all solid, 1 3/4" c shaped neck, scary good value, and all the rk 000's i've played are both balanced and pretty loud. i wouldn't call this a bright guitar like a taylor, but it's not boomy, either. to be fair, most of my experience with rk 000's are their higher up models, but the lower models hold their own. http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/recording-king-ro-10-%22000%22-classic-series--RO10.htm

Yes, I might not necessarily be looking for a bright guitar, just one that isn't too bassy and dark.

Ah, that guitar looks nice. Nice woods anyway. Cheap because it's asian?

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
cheap not just because it's asian - this is my husband's model, and it's not as cheap
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/recording-king-ros-626-12-fret-000--ROS626.htm

the more expensive model has a v neck and more detailing, but that doesn't make it sound better. the more expensive model has a slot head. the cheaper one is also a 14 fret, which is probably better for those who aren't into the 12 fret thing.
Quote by Skeet UK
A used Larrivee L-03 with solid sapele sides and back? They are well-made and have a bright, well-balanced tone with a wide nut for fingerpicking.