Page 1 of 3
I need to find a controversial instance of sexism. One thats can be debatable to whether or not it truly was sexist. Anything would be appreciated haha
Men giving their seat to attractive women.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
finally giving female tennis players equal prize money despite playing fewer games.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
finally giving female tennis players equal prize money despite playing fewer games.

This is a good one.

Another instance that springs to mind for me is the inequality in the number of women in senior management and boardroom job roles.

On the side of the bigots is the argument that women "just don't want" these roles, or that taking time out to have children makes them somehow "not worthy".

On the side of thinking rationally is the fact that having a child does not impact on your ability to do a job at all, and that women are routinely missed out in opportunities to go into management and more senior roles to their male colleagues, who make up the majority of these roles.

So yeah, you could use that one.
Women apparantly having more rights than men when it comes to a number of things.

Flirting, divorce, wedding (the girl gets to pick everything for the ceremony...), social security, diplomacy.

And apart from cooking and cleaning, women suck at everything else.
Different insurance premiums for different genders would be what I'd pick, it's controversial bu also fairly cut and dried and extremely well known.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Lord_Doku
Women apparantly having more rights than men when it comes to a number of things.

Flirting, divorce, wedding (the girl gets to pick everything for the ceremony...), social security, diplomacy.

My fiancee are planning our wedding together. And I put my foot down about there being a wedding pie, and about taxidermy being used for the topper. I don't think you know any women.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Lord_Doku

What?

I'll just ignore your bigoted end comment as well.

TS another thing you could look at, as well as the so called "glass ceiling" of female pay compared to male pay, is the concepts behind the division of household labour. Traditionally this sees women doing all of the household labour - all of the cooking, cleaning, washing, ironing, grocery shopping, etc, as well as holding down a full-time job, while traditionally the male would not do anything. So you can look at how attitudes towards that are changing and how women are still expected to do more than 50% of cooking and cleaning.
Quote by Weaponized
Men can't breastfeed. Wtf.

The baby might not get any nourishment from it, but I still enjoy it.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
What?

I'll just ignore your bigoted end comment as well.

TS another thing you could look at, as well as the so called "glass ceiling" of female pay compared to male pay, is the concepts behind the division of household labour. Traditionally this sees women doing all of the household labour - all of the cooking, cleaning, washing, ironing, grocery shopping, etc, as well as holding down a full-time job, while traditionally the male would not do anything. So you can look at how attitudes towards that are changing and how women are still expected to do more than 50% of cooking and cleaning.

That's outdated, but sure.
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
Quote by Drakathan
That's outdated, but sure.

What makes you say that? Do you think that division of household labour is now exactly 50%?
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
What makes you say that? Do you think that division of household labour is now exactly 50%?

Do you think that division of household labour should be 50%?

Frankly, I think it's entirely variable based on the relationship dynamic, and as such is a bullshit measure.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Cooking and cleaning aren't actually hard, that's why the men leave it to the women; it's something they can handle.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by metacarpi
Do you think that division of household labour should be 50%?

Frankly, I think it's entirely variable based on the relationship dynamic, and as such is a bullshit measure.

All things being equal, yes.

Bolded because of course if the man is unemployed, "housewife" or any other bullshit term meaning not working, he, or on the other foot she, should be expected to do more than 50% of the chores. But I was referring to a situation where both partners work, in which case, why would you possibly think that it's fair for one to do more than the other?

Statistics also show a lot of situations where, due to the economic climate, a man is either not employed or underemployed in part time work but the full time working woman still ends up doing 100% of the household labour. There's this overarching stereotype of the lovable lazy oaf which seems to prevail in gendered attitudes to housework.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Not at all, but I get the impression that you think the division is 100 to 0.
Quote by goest

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by KnightBand
Quote by Ur all $h1t

I have a friend that can lactate. Blew our minds in high school. As it turns out, he had a brain tumor. But he didn't know about it until he joined the army.

Anyhow, I've never been in a house aside from my grandparents where the women did all the cooking or cleaning. In my family, my dad almost always did the cooking and the kids did the cleaning.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Quote by Drakathan
Not at all, but I get the impression that you think the division is 100 to 0.

I just said unequal, not drastically unequal. I don't have any studies in front of me so I can't remember the exact statistics, just that women do on average more when in equal employment situations.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I just said unequal, not drastically unequal. I don't have any studies in front of me so I can't remember the exact statistics, just that women do on average more when in equal employment situations.

Did it mention age groups?
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

No, but it's getting closer to all the time, I think. I think people are (finally) becoming more aware to fact that in a household of more than one, then more than one should do the housework. UNLESS one party goes to work and one does not, then the one who does not should do more at home (unless, obviously, they are off sick etc.)
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
All things being equal, yes.

Bolded because of course if the man is unemployed, "housewife" or any other bullshit term meaning not working, he, or on the other foot she, should be expected to do more than 50% of the chores. But I was referring to a situation where both partners work, in which case, why would you possibly think that it's fair for one to do more than the other?

I don't think it's fair that one should do mroe than the other, but just saying that "if they're both in full time employment they should do 50-50" isn't right either.

Myself and my partner try to split everything as equally as possible around the house. We're both employed full time, but I work more hours per week than she does. Should the housework still be 50-50? Hell no.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

That's probably true, but then again, the man has to put up with the woman, so it's pretty equal.

Just kidding
Quote by goest

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by KnightBand
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

I don't know the facts, but I know in my heart I'm right.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
TS is the ultimate troll. Starting a topic about sexism so that Mistress can bitch again.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
TS is the ultimate troll. Starting a topic about sexism so that Mistress can bitch again.

She is reasonabe.
Quote by goest

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by KnightBand
Quote by Drakathan
That's probably true, but then again, the man has to put up with the woman, so it's pretty equal.

Just kidding

nice save. you would probably be castrated if you didn't add that.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Different insurance premiums for different genders would be what I'd pick, it's controversial bu also fairly cut and dried and extremely well known.

That's not sexist, that's statistics. Men are statistically more likely to crash. Besides, isn't the stereotype that Women are worse drivers than Men, surely making their premiums higher?
Holding doors open/giving up your seat/generally filling the traditional role of a "gentleman."

Pisses me the fuck off when I decide to waste my time holding the door open for a girl and she looks at me like I'm a bigot for it. And what really gets me is that I don't even do it just for women. I'll hold the door open for anybody who is coming through behind me.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
On the side of thinking rationally is the fact that having a child does not impact on your ability to do a job at all,

Erm... yes I would say having a child does have an impact on your job, especially if it's one that requires a large amount of your time. Having a child is a massive commitment, and obviously will impact on all aspects of your life. Lots of people have trouble balancing their home life and work life, and having a child just makes that more difficult. To deny that having a child changes anything is just plain blind.
However, note I have said nothing gender specific there. That could be levelled at a man as easily as a women.

The only truly and entirely sex specific part of having a child is pregnancy, which might not be "fair" but again does affect a massive amount of a woman's life in those 9 months. It is a massive change, to say it doesn't affect anything is again pretty blind.

Quote by Ur all $h1t

Meh it's just how insurance works. It's not baseless sexism, it is based on real statistics and effects. Young men are more likely to crash than women. Not all forms of observing differences between men and women are horrible sexism, men and women ARE different in certain ways.
Quote by andyscoot
That's not sexist, that's statistics. Men are statistically more likely to crash. Besides, isn't the stereotype that Women are worse drivers than Men, surely making their premiums higher?

The statistics would suggest that isn't true then.

Actually, having worked in car insurance, the statistics say that women are more likely to make insurance claims for bodywork damage and small dents akin to driving into an object at a very low speed, whereas the types of claims that men make on average are for high-speed smashes and written off cars, medical bills, extensive damage to multiple vehicles, etc. Obviously a claim for reversing into a bollard is going to be a lot cheaper than for speeding into another car, putting the other driver in hospital and wrecking their brand new Audi.

This is why male insurance is higher, because on average men are more likely to get into an accident that is most expensive from an insurance point of view. This is actually illegal now though, it has been ruled that it must be equal for both genders.

So you could talk about that, but I still think my housework one is most interesting/controversial

Quote by MadClownDisease
Erm... yes I would say having a child does have an impact on your job, especially if it's one that requires a large amount of your time. Having a child is a massive commitment, and obviously will impact on all aspects of your life. Lots of people have trouble balancing their home life and work life, and having a child just makes that more difficult. To deny that having a child changes anything is just plain blind.
However, note I have said nothing gender specific there. That could be levelled at a man as easily as a women.

Good point, but it isn't. In promotions and management positions, having a family is seen as an asset to a male candidate, and a burden to a female one. You have said nothing gender specific, but the statistics on women with children in higher management positions do.
Last edited by Mistress_Ibanez at Sep 19, 2011,
Quote by andyscoot

Theres statistically more men driving than there is women. And they're only stereotyped as worse drivers because they have less spacial awareness than men.

And the statistics only say men are more likely to crash because of the number of young male scroats who drive around at 50mph and use the handbrake instead of the steering wheel to turn. Take them out of the equation and the results would be different.

It's shyte anyway. There has been more women caught and convicted of using a mobile phone at the wheel then there has men; when did you last see a woman with a bluetooth headset/earpiece on? Also, I cannot fathom the number of times I have seen female drivers (particularly young ones) driving about doing the following:

-Doing their hair in the mirror
-Looking at passengers for long periods to talk to them
-Doing make-up
-Dancing (OK this isn't very often but I saw it recently, how you can see the road when your head is bouncing all over the place is beyond me).
-Texting
-Sitting far too close to the wheel (if you crash the airbag CAN kill you if you're too close, thus an insurance risk)
-Sitting far, far, far too low (i'm talking below the steering wheel height; Yes because you can get an all round view from down there)

Don't get me wrong, male drivers can be(and a lot are) just as bad, and no driver is perfect; but all these statistics the insurance companies use are not fair and are just a bullshit excuse to get more money from people.

EDIT:

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
This is why male insurance is higher, because on average men are more likely to get into an accident that is most expensive from an insurance point of view. This is actually illegal now though, it has been ruled that it must be equal for both genders.

Not disagreeing with you here, but the way they are doing this is bullshit as well. Because to make it "fair" and "equal" what they are actually going to be doing is something along the lines of reducing men's insurance by 10% and raising womens by 90%. How is this fair? All it is, is these fucking suits in offices want a fat back pocket for themselves.
Last edited by rockdude375 at Sep 19, 2011,
Quote by rockdude375
Theres statistically more men driving than there is women. And they're only stereotyped as worse drivers because they have less spacial awareness than men.

And the statistics only say men are more likely to crash because of the number of young male scroats who drive around at 50mph and use the handbrake instead of the steering wheel to turn. Take them out of the equation and the results would be different.

It's shyte anyway. There has been more women caught and convicted of using a mobile phone at the wheel then there has men; when did you last see a woman with a bluetooth headset/earpiece on? Also, I cannot fathom the number of times I have seen female drivers (particularly young ones) driving about doing the following:

-Doing their hair in the mirror
-Looking at passengers for long periods to talk to them
-Doing make-up
-Dancing (OK this isn't very often but I saw it recently, how you can see the road when your head is bouncing all over the place is beyond me).
-Texting
-Sitting far too close to the wheel (if you crash the airbag CAN kill you if you're too close, thus an insurance risk)
-Sitting far, far, far too low (i'm talking below the steering wheel height; Yes because you can get an all round view from down there)

Don't get me wrong, male drivers can be(and a lot are) just as bad, and no driver is perfect; but all these statistics the insurance companies use are not fair and are just a bullshit excuse to get more money from people.

So how long have you been an actuary for?

What's that? YOU'RE NOT? You're just talking about your VERY LIMITED PERSONAL EXPERIENCES?

Well, forget everything that trained insurance professionals have taught me about the statistics of car insurance claims then, this guy has seen a woman DANCING!

I could just as easily make a list of stupid thing I've seen male drivers doing. Using a phone, driving at 90mph in a 30 zone, trying to overtake a queue of 10 cars behind a tractor and then pushing another car off the road when they tried to force their way back into the queue to avoid the oncoming traffic, etc etc, but as I don't know about every single driver in the world it would be pointless and irrelevant, just like your little list.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

What's that? YOU'RE NOT? You're just talking about your VERY LIMITED PERSONAL EXPERIENCES?

Well, forget everything that trained insurance professionals have taught me about the statistics of car insurance claims then, this guy has seen a woman DANCING!

I could just as easily make a list of stupid thing I've seen male drivers doing. Using a phone, driving at 90mph in a 30 zone, trying to overtake a queue of 10 cars behind a tractor and then pushing another car off the road when they tried to force their way back into the queue to avoid the oncoming traffic, etc etc, but as I don't know about every single driver in the world it would be pointless and irrelevant, just like your little list.

My point is that women are just as bad as male drivers, but in different ways? Would you have reacted so aggresively had I typed a big long list of shyte i've witnessed male drivers do? I think not.

Please look at both sides of the coin.

Also, how many people have you seen doing "90 in a 30"? Bet it's not that many. Ask yourself also why was said person doing 90? Maybe they were trying to get to the hospital for example? Maybe their wife was giving birth, or suffering an emergency and needed to be there pronto.
Quote by andyscoot

It's been ruled illegal in EU courts due to sexism: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12606610

The point is that you can't use the statistical likelihood of a characteristic in a person's group in order to discriminate against an individual. In fact, that's pretty much the definition of sexism and racism.

The point is to pick something controversial, I reckon that's a good one as it's extremely widespread, it's recently been in the news, and it's not based on more subjective or hard to identify measures such as housework or proportion of a gender in certain jobs in which there are many other confounding variables.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Calm down missy, he didn't know what he was getting himself into, give him a break and let it slip.

edit: actually; nice counter, rockdude. gotta put the bitches in their place

I'M JUST KIDDING
Quote by goest

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by KnightBand
Last edited by Drakathan at Sep 19, 2011,
Page 1 of 3