this is driving me nuts. Im just chilling at home practicing barre chords and scales up and and down and I got stuck on this simple desending progression (all E shaped barre chords with root note on low E string)
Bm A G F#

I tried various strumming and picking patterns, but couldnt figure what part of what song that is and its making me crazy
he of tranquil mind
It could be Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits?
Only difference is that it's in a different key...
Hit The Road Jack, and don't ya come back no more no more no more no more. Not sure if the chords are in that key, but they move in that way. Ray Charles.
Last edited by mdc at Sep 19, 2011,
all of these songs, and a million more, probably the most used chord progression, or at least in the top.... two.
Quote by Rossco92
It could be Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits?
Only difference is that it's in a different key...

one of my fav tunes of all time.... thanks for the replies and thought. Now what scale/mode would one play over that?

No wonder its so catchy..
he of tranquil mind
Quote by fishmike
one of my fav tunes of all time.... thanks for the replies and thought. Now what scale/mode would one play over that?

For Bm-A-G-F# you'd play B Minor Natural Minor for Bm-A-G and for the F# use B Harmonic Minor/F# Phygian Dominant.
Quote by fishmike

To simplify post #10, play B Minor Pentatonic shape 1 using some phrasing ideas that you know.

When the F# chord appears, land on the A# note, which isn't in B Minor pentatonic, but easily accessible....

8th fret D string
6th fret E string (top e would be better for soloing)
11th fret B string

It'll sound brilliant mate, for theory reasons you may or may not be interested in knowing, or may already know.
Last edited by mdc at Sep 19, 2011,
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?scch=B&scchnam=Melodic+Minor+%28Descending%29&get2=Get&t=0&choice=1

mdc and mikedodge... you guys are onto something

Originally I was playing E dorian trying to get a feel for some dorian type blues licks.

Im guessing playing E dorian with a root note of B is just some other mode....

Just out of curiosity, what is a natural minor scale?

Im only 2 years into this but I love the theory behind it... its kinda magical
he of tranquil mind
Quote by fishmike

Originally I was playing E dorian trying to get a feel for some dorian type blues licks.

Im guessing playing E dorian with a root note of B is just some other mode....

E dorian over B is just B minor. It's the B minor scale. That's it.

Just out of curiosity, what is a natural minor scale?

Im only 2 years into this but I love the theory behind it... its kinda magical

Just the minor scale. Basically the major scale with a flattened 3rd, 6th, and 7th. It's the basis of all the minor scale shapes. The minor pentatonic is just the minor scale without the 2nd or 6th note. The harmonic minor is just the natural minor with an augmented/major 7th. The melodic minor, when ascending, is the minor with a major 6th and 7th, and the natural minor when descending.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
E dorian over B is just B minor. It's the B minor scale. That's it.

Just the minor scale. Basically the major scale with a flattened 3rd, 6th, and 7th. It's the basis of all the minor scale shapes. The minor pentatonic is just the minor scale without the 2nd or 6th note. The harmonic minor is just the natural minor with an augmented/major 7th. The melodic minor, when ascending, is the minor with a major 6th and 7th, and the natural minor when descending.
makes sense

I appreciate the clarification... thanks for taking the time to look at this stuff.

I know some people when learning are happy to just to hit the notes, but damn it I really crave the understanding of WHY they sound good. Its like a never ending puzzle and each little piece makes the picture clearer. Ironically the more I learn the more Im aware of how little I know in the first place, but I guess thats why they call it a journey.

Thanks again all.
he of tranquil mind