i have an old aria strat which i barely use anymore because i upgraded to a fender tele 2 years ago. i like the way the aria plays because i am so used to it, and it doesn't sound too bad either. but i dont like the neck on it that much. i found a used fender strat neck on gumtree for only £50:
http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/aged-fender-strat-neck/88159174

how hard would it be to replace the neck? ive heard of different measurements and stuff but im not good with all the technical ins and outs of a guitar. could i literally get the neck and unscrew the neck plate and just whack the new one on? i don't have enough money atm to buy an actual strat btw ha.

cheers
Best case scenario is that all the dimensions are the same and all you have to do is unbolt the old neck and bolt in the new one.

Not likely to be that lucky.

If any dimensions are different then you'll need to remove wood as required to get a match. Sounds like a fun project if you're into that.

This might be a better project to do with another guitar body you're not emotionally attached to. Because you could really screw up the Aria.

I'd be surprised if a luthier would take this on for less than a decent Squier Strat would cost you.
im not too attached to the aria, sort of a backup guitar. i need it to play just incase. i cant afford to **** it up. ive asked for measurements from the seller, how would i go about measuring my neck? if they dont match would i take wood off from the body or the new neck? sorry for all the questions
No problem; that's what we're here for.

First off, a lot of the Arias I've seen have been 22 fret necks, but the Fender neck you're considering looks like 21?

I'm not a luthier, so I'd better not lead you astray with possible bad info on the dimensions.

For example, I don't know how to tell if it's the right height--different neck radiuses could have an effect and I don't know the standard place to measure to factor that out.

Another thing to consider is if the Aria's neck is bigger than the Fender's neck in certain dimensions, then you'd have to add wood (shims) and that could be problematic, too.
ahh i see, thanks for the help btw. yeah mine is a 22 :s could be a problem then i suppose, i'm gunna try and find out the dimensions of neck being sold, if it could be problematic i might scrap the idea altogether, i'd prefer to have a working guitar rather than a broken one, at the end of the day ha
Just Make sure the scale lengths match up (: thats the big kicker, not saying you won't have to do some work on the neck pocket and reset the guitar up but the scales lengths are really the big thing to look at
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends
Quote by Holysorrow
Just Make sure the scale lengths match up (: thats the big kicker, not saying you won't have to do some work on the neck pocket and reset the guitar up but the scales lengths are really the big thing to look at

Good point. Most Strats and Strat copies have 25.5" scales. Most as in almost all, but you never know if you don't know.

If the Aria doesn't have the fretboard overhang to accomodate the 22nd fret (i.e., if the heel goes all the way down under the 22nd fret), then that would be another reason the 21 fret neck would be difficult to fit because Fender necks end under the 21st fret and if it has a 22nd then the fingerboard hangs over a bit.

Really, I don't understand why anyone would prefer a 21 fret neck over a 22 fret neck. And most Fender 22 fret necks are MIA. I've seen some MIJs with 22 frets, but only when they had Kahler trems. The only MIM 22 fret Strat necks I know of are the ones they're putting on the blacktop strats these days. Point being that you can expect to pay more than 50 pounds for a 22 fret neck in decent condition.

BTW, that 21 fret neck is advertised as "worn" Hope that doesn't mean it needs a fret leveling or need some other major work. You gotta wonder why it got seperated from its body in the first place.