I want to buy a metronome that has atleast 30 presets so the drummer can play to a click during a live show...someone a while back was talking about something that was around $100 made by TAMA?? Idk... that had around 100 presets. Any recommendations? I would search but on dial-up it will take forever...
MARTY FRIEDMAN--"It’s a lot easier to be technical than it is stylized; it really is... But I think it’s a lot more rare to have someone who’s really got their own sound because that’s something you can’t practice."
Or you know.... you just practice as a band?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/tama-rhythm-watch

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/boss-db-90-dr.-beat-metronome

the cheaper one has 20 presets the more expensive one has 50. The Boss is probably a bit more than you need so I'd recommend the Tama. Of course, you could practice as a band like Tom 1.0 and Zeletros said and save yourself a fair chunk of cash
If your drummer needs a click track to maintain solid (not perfect) tempo, then something is messed up with the way you practice as a band, or the way he/she practices alone.

I would suggest getting Guitar Pro, and creating your own custom track. Then you can export it as a .midi, and then convert it to mp3 (by playing it back while using recording software on your computer that just reports the output to another input file (basically an extension converter, except you have to sit through the recording)).

That's how I sometimes practice guitar along to a song that I want to learn. The advantage is that you can create as many tracks as you like, tailored to your... clicking liking. There's the obvious advantage of laying out your whole song in GP... but that takes time.
To be fair, the band may be using a backing track so its only fair that the drummer has a click to follow so the band stays in time

Also Iphone or Andriod apps are great for this kind of thing
i bought a cheapo pro tools rig (fast track?) for like $100 new. That's what I use to build clicks for songs, then just make an mp3 and throw it on an ipod. thats what we do for my band. PLUS, you get a budget version of protools to record with!

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
Quote by FaisalTMusic
If your drummer needs a click track to maintain solid (not perfect) tempo, then something is messed up with the way you practice as a band, or the way he/she practices alone.

some of the best drummers in the world play to clicks live. it's a comfort thing, and VERY common for any technical stuff with oddball time signature changes.

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
Dial-up? Is that coming back, like snap-back hats?

Thought dial-up was illegal in Texas.

Anyway, the Boss DB90 is great because you can plug in footswitches to control patch up, patch down, and start/stop. But it only holds 50 patches. And it costs $180.

Eventually we graduated from the Boss unit to the Guitar Pro solution (similar to suggestion above). We don't use a metronome live, but we often use it for practice and/or recording.

When using it with the DAW, we export from GP to a .wav file, but maybe ought to use midi because it might take less computer resources and it might accomodate changing tempos better.
Quote by jetwash69
Hey, TS, are you into Hank III and/or his metal band?

No I really haven't...I have heard a lot about it and would like to hear some...I have heard his country stuff though...sounds alot like his Grandpa.

We usually practice to a metronome, however, we play around 100+ songs and are constantly adding more. It looks professional as hell when bands don't have to count off songs. Most importantly, I get frustrated when I practice a song to the recording and come up with lead parts that fit that tempo only to play it at a different speed live and those parts sound too slow or rushed. + or - 5 bpm isn't too bad even though that can make a big difference.

I agree a solid drummer should be able to hold the tempo.

Thanks MonsterMetalMus for the links...you saved me a lot of time and much needed tooth enamel.

Yeah Dial-up should be illegal everywhere!
MARTY FRIEDMAN--"It’s a lot easier to be technical than it is stylized; it really is... But I think it’s a lot more rare to have someone who’s really got their own sound because that’s something you can’t practice."
Quote by WesM.Vaughan
No I really haven't...I have heard a lot about it and would like to hear some...I have heard his country stuff though...sounds alot like his Grandpa.

I bought one of his CDs at a Hastings because the cover looked cool and I liked Hank I's songs. I ended up getting a bunch more of them and went to see him live. It was wild being in the middle of folks moshing to fiddle, banjo, and slide guitar. After the Assjack set there were folks needing stiches getting off the floor. They whipped the crowd into a frenzy. They paused for about two minutes switching from Country to Hellbilly, and then another five to switch the drums for the Assjack set. Half the crowd left at that point, but that's where it just went crazy.

The whole thing was much more intense than any metal show I've been to, and I've hit my share. They gave 100% for almost 3 hours, then Hank hung around another hour+ to meet all the fans. He looked like he aged 10 years in those 3 hours.

I definitely recommend seeing him live if he passes through your part of Texas. It might be a while because he just blew through TX earlier this month.

And if you're going to buy a CD or MP3s, don't get Hillbilly Joker. That's the songs his old label wouldn't release while he was signed to them. Right after his contract ended they released it out of spite, and he doesn't get anything from it. Basically they stole it off him.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Sep 19, 2011,