Hi,

I've tried the painting thread and it seems no one bothers anymore

I can't find a guide on how to get a good satin black finish, I'm confused as to how fine to sand and clearcoat etc with it being satin but I want a professional finish so I want to understand before I start what I'm getting into (the wood will be poplar)
Proud owner of Paul Allander PRS styled - Shamray CS-1985
CS-1985 Pics
Jackson RR24 White with black bevels
I got one on my Stratocaster by sanding the factory paint with that grid paper.
sorry should of mentioned this is for a new build not modding a current guitar

my current plan is to go down to 600 grit with plastikote satin finish as ive used it before, and see if its OK it not sand the first couple of coats with wet 1200 till i get the desired finish

also plastikote do some good bright colours for the bevels/pinstripes
Proud owner of Paul Allander PRS styled - Shamray CS-1985
CS-1985 Pics
Jackson RR24 White with black bevels
I just refinished my guitar with black tint and clear gloss lacquer. Here's what I've learned, and here's what I've heard.
Multiple layers of satin lacquer will get cloudy, so your first "building" coats (to build up thickness) ought to be some regular clear/gloss. Put the satin on top of that, at the end, in order to get a decent satin look.
If the lacquer runs, you'll need 220 and 600 grit to level it. You can actually use 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit automotive sandpaper for final finishing, and this is usually done by wet sanding. I have yet to determine whether water, water with soap, or mineral oil is best. I've only tried water.
Sometimes you'll get whitish splotches from sanding as if the lacquer melted, even though it seemed dry and hardened. Buffing with cloth will get fibers stuck in it so use 0000 steel wool to rub those out, and you'll be ok. Coarser if you're impatient, but you'll have to take care of the scratches that the coarser steel wool causes.

I'm not familiar with plastikote. Deft is a great cheap alternative to the good stuff, namely, Seagrave. A quart is $10 at Lowe's, and it resists cracking and yellowing. That furniture lacquer usually won't endure the way instrument formulations will. Deft is used by a lot of DIYers for instruments, since it has properties which your $6 can don't have.
Last edited by the9breaker2001 at Sep 22, 2011,