Hi everyone,
I'm finally tired of my crappy MG10 and have decided to get a new amp. Been playing for 9 years but not-great gear. I live in India, very limited options, luckily I've got a friend coming to visit me from the US, so I can get an amp shipped to his place and he could bring it along.
Details:
1. Budget- $500, may go up to $600 for an exceptional product.

2. Style of music- GnR, Zeppelin, early Metallica, Satriani, no extreme metal. Cleans are required only at low volumes.

3. New or Used- Either.

4. Home or gig- Mainly home, few gigs-medium sides. May/may not mic. Have to be prepared for both.

5. Closest City- Well my friend lives in Long Island, NY. So GC, Sam Ash are nearby.

Now, the biggest problem- I can't try out any amp. NO shop in MY city carries ANY tube amp other than the Tiny Terror 10". Also, I have a Digitech RP90 for Effects, I know I may get flamed for it, but I actually like the sound of its effects.

Thanks a lot in advance!
is the 500-600 including the freight and taxes going to India also?

Do you have or can you get a diecent cab in India? just a head will be much cheaper to ship.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Sep 19, 2011,
handsome devil and green rhino od pedal
try to buy on sale
Mr. Zachary Vex on the fuzz probe: "Congratulations. You must be insane. Even I don't get how to use this pedal".
Well, when I visited the US last, I brought back a new guitar, no questions asked. So I'm guessing it should be the same. So the $500-$600 is excluding freight/taxes if any. Thanks.
Jet City JCA50h is a nice 2 ch amp i can do the 80's metal/rock and modern metal/rock very well. and it is $500 new here.

What about a cabnet? can you get one in India or do you need it to come from the US also?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Jet City JCA50h is a nice 2 ch amp i can do the 80's metal/rock and modern metal/rock very well. and it is $500 new here.

What about a cabnet? can you get one in India or do you need it to come from the US also?

I had looked into the Jca20h. Do the 6L6s in the 50 make a big difference?
Never inquired about any cabinets. I will find out though.
Custom made cabs go for around $440 for 212 loaded with V30s/Greenbacks. Honestly,I don't think its worth it.
The JCA 20h is a really nice head it is voiced diffrently than the JCA50h. the JCA 20h is more of a mid gain amp while the JCA50h is a higain amp. the new Jca 22h has just came out and is a 2 ch version of the JCA 20h and can do higain very well
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
On used.guitarcenter.com there is this:

GUITAR AMP
USED 061911 TRAYNOR YCV40WR
Details »
Amps
Guitar Center Sherman Oaks
Sherman Oaks, California 91423
818-990-8332
View Store's Used Inventory
Request More Info
Buy Now
Now Only
$499.99

Should be perfect for you.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
On used.guitarcenter.com there is this:

GUITAR AMP
USED 061911 TRAYNOR YCV40WR
Details »
Amps
Guitar Center Sherman Oaks
Sherman Oaks, California 91423
818-990-8332
View Store's Used Inventory
Request More Info
Buy Now
Now Only
$499.99

Should be perfect for you.

Can it handle a good Slash or Page tone? Because, Ithey use British voiced amps and the Traynor has 6L6s which IIRC are more American Voiced.

Any other amps in the range?
The amps I'm considering are:
1. JCA20h/22h or the combo versions (May leave cash for a good pedal or two)
2. Vypyr Tube 60
3. Bugera V22 (don't know how much gain it has)
4. Egnater Tweaker 15 combo
5. Blackstar Ht20 Combo
6. Laney Cub12R
7. Crate V32 Palomino
Opinions and other options are greatly appreciated.
Quote by dax96
The amps I'm considering are:
1. JCA20h/22h or the combo versions (May leave cash for a good pedal or two)
2. Vypyr Tube 60
3. Bugera V22 (don't know how much gain it has)
4. Egnater Tweaker 15 combo
5. Blackstar Ht20 Combo
6. Laney Cub12R
7. Crate V32 Palomino
Opinions and other options are greatly appreciated.

actually - all of those will work well, you are on the right track. you'll just have to play them and make your own decision.
As I mentioned in the Original Post, I have NO access to trying these amps.
If I did, I wouldn't have made this thread. The only one I can possibly try is the Laney Cub.
So, I need opinions on tone and reliability.
They Traynor may have 6L6s, but it is still more British voiced in the preamp.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by dax96
As I mentioned in the Original Post, I have NO access to trying these amps.
If I did, I wouldn't have made this thread. The only one I can possibly try is the Laney Cub.
So, I need opinions on tone and reliability.

Sorry. Consider it a free bump.
The YCV50 sounds much better than the YCV40, atleast to my ears, judging from the clips and videos. But then, 50w might be overkill.
Giving up on the Bug V22 and Crate V32 due to reliability issues. Vypyr 60 may be too loud. And its full potential is unleashed only with the Sanpera.
So now, its:
1. JCA20/22
2. Blackstar HT 20
3. Laney Cub12R
4. Egnater Tweaker
Also, is 15-20w sufficient to be heard over a drummer or do I need more?
Dang - you just removed my favorite picks of the lot

Traynor YCV50B - awesome amp. better than the 40
Bug V22 - only real issue was the heat sink issue that is now old. Decent amp really for the money and has nice tone both clean and dirty
Crate Palo V32 - again, great amp here
Vypyr 60 - this modelling amp sounds good at all volumes really and is super versatile

------
JCA20 - I found thin and lackluster but not a bad choice. JCA22 maybe.
Blackstars - don't get me going but the HT5 I played was OK.
Laney Cub - never played. A GH or AOR/Protube would be fun though.
Tweaker - again lots of tones in this guy - needs the right tubes/speaker set up but will struggle with cleans while gigging

15-20 should be loud for what you are doing but Metallica with a heavy hitting drummer may drown you out if no PA. Not sure. I don't gig.

I'll peak at Craigslist in a bit.
Thanks a bunch man!
The YCV50B has awesome tone, but I'm concerned that it may be too loud for practice at home. Maybe I could an attenuator off ebay.
HT 20 sounded great, ISF makes it really versatile. Are there any problems?
Vypyr 60- Will consider it again. Would it be worth buying this used so I can buy the Sanpera II also? Love its features.
Crate V32s and the DSL 401's had a lot of overheating issues. I honestly can't take the risk, I don't if any amp tech in my city is qualified enough to repair it properly.
Bug V22 is criticized alot as a "cheap" amp but it seems really decent. How is the V55? I've seen them going for really decent prices.
Would love anyone's opinions.
Thanks again.
Traynor will not be bad at all for home use. Vintage 30 speaker, better tubes. Do it.

ISF does something but it is definitely not the same as say an Egnater Renegade.

I like my Vypyr. The models can get a bit fake sounding but over all I'm happy. If you don't need that kind of versatility while gigging I would maybe look at something else. Too bad you can't play one - but you can always return it if you buy new.

Greg knows more about that Crate but over all you are getting a fair amount of amp for the price with either. Some DSLs have fans.

I prefer the tone of the V22 and I've played several times now. The V55 has different tubes (6L6s I believe) but I've never really played one long enough to form an opinion.
I see a used YCV50Blue for $350 on GC Used. Seems like a great deal.
I think I may want an OD pedal for low volume overdrive. Any recommendation?
Any other pedals I might need too?
Grab the Blue. You won't NEED an OD for low volume overdrive, that's what the gain and volume knobs are for. You don't need (or want to really) push the Blue into power tube distortion. Get a 5 watter if you want that.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
What about an attenuator for power tube distortion at low levels?
My idea of low level...Umm I tried a 5W amp cranked, and didnt find it that loud. Was through an 8" though.
I'm a little wary because I need good tones at both low and high volume levels. So, using the MV at low volume with medium Gain should sound good?
Should sound fine. Go for it. Don't worry about an attenuator.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
For $350, you'll be very happy with the Blue! Once you've used it for a while, then you can decide if you want a boost to go along with it or not.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Thanks guys! I'll order it soon, within the next week.
Also, I noticed the speaker in the amp has a power handling of 60w while the amp produces 50w. I read somewhere that tube amps produce way more power than RMS. So is it safe?

As for the boost decision: Any pedal in India costs atleast double of what it costs in the US. So I'd rather get it now than later.
As long as you don't have every knob turned to 11 (I don't know why they just didn't make 10 louder ), you'll be fine.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
That is true but at the same time, speakers are rated conservatively (or lower than actual) so they can actually handle more than stated. You'll be fine. Traynor is not going to put anything into their amps that won't work. Now if you bought one used and it had a 25w speaker in it - I might be concerned.

What do you have to choose from as far as OD pedals? Most tubescreamer type pedals will work. For example I have a Digitech Bad Monkey OD and they are $50 new.
I've never looked at the pedal selection extensively, but I'll have a look tomorrow and let you know.
Really appreciate the help I'm getting here.