Not sure what section this should go in, so if this is the wrong place please tell me and/or move it.

My band wanted me to write something ambient-y. I have no clue how ambient music sounds though. I just kinda experimented with different delays and stuff. I recorded this in one track, since I have no real recording gear. It's just a drum track and guitar. I couldn't settle on a good distorted sound for the chord i play throughout the song. It was really weird. Like it would sound good playing it, but recording it would come out really really distorted, more than I wanted. That's the only part I'm not really happy with.

http://soundcloud.com/permaphrost/atmosphere

Constructive criticism please. I think it sounds fine but I'm looking for other opinions. Mainly concerned with the transitions, and the solo-y part.

Also: Fair warning, about halfway through there is a really big distorted sound, like the bass in the chord I was playing got magnified like crazy. I don't know why.
Last edited by Permaphrost at Sep 19, 2011,
That wasn't bad. In terms of general advice - you might want to consider getting some more layers in there and switching up the drum track once in a while. But I understand that these could be a result of your recording situation. Anyway, you should be able to get multiple tracks into Audacity or something similarly free.

For some part-by-part crit:
- The intro is pretty cool and I like that little riff you have going.
- 0:21 - I like the guitar sound here actually and this is a cool part. Almost reminds me of something by Cloudkicker.
- 1:16 - nice riff, but would be cooler if it was layered on top of a rhythm section (possibly the chords preceding it?)
- 1:54 - don't know what happened with the sound there for a second lol. I'm not too fond of the section from here until 2:26. It feels like a filler as it is, so unless you're planning to put some melody or something there, it's pretty boring.
- 2:26 - a nice section but could be improved with more layering and adding bits here and there. I think this is inadvertent but you have a couple of places where your volume swells and then recedes slightly (e.g. 2:41-2:48). This is a cool effect and you might consider making the dynamic changes in this part more prominent. It would make it stand out more and have more purpose.
- 3:14 - again kind of a boring riff with nothing else on top of it. Nice outro though. It'd be cool if you had a layer continuing that chugging 3:30 part underneath the rest of the outro. It actually sounds like it might be there? Or maybe I'm just hearing what I want to hear lol. But you can afford to make it more prominent.

So yeah. Cool piece overall and that was my constructive criticism.
Quote by alexbass
That wasn't bad. In terms of general advice - you might want to consider getting some more layers in there and switching up the drum track once in a while. But I understand that these could be a result of your recording situation. Anyway, you should be able to get multiple tracks into Audacity or something similarly free.

For some part-by-part crit:
- The intro is pretty cool and I like that little riff you have going.
- 0:21 - I like the guitar sound here actually and this is a cool part. Almost reminds me of something by Cloudkicker.
- 1:16 - nice riff, but would be cooler if it was layered on top of a rhythm section (possibly the chords preceding it?)
- 1:54 - don't know what happened with the sound there for a second lol. I'm not too fond of the section from here until 2:26. It feels like a filler as it is, so unless you're planning to put some melody or something there, it's pretty boring.
- 2:26 - a nice section but could be improved with more layering and adding bits here and there. I think this is inadvertent but you have a couple of places where your volume swells and then recedes slightly (e.g. 2:41-2:48). This is a cool effect and you might consider making the dynamic changes in this part more prominent. It would make it stand out more and have more purpose.
- 3:14 - again kind of a boring riff with nothing else on top of it. Nice outro though. It'd be cool if you had a layer continuing that chugging 3:30 part underneath the rest of the outro. It actually sounds like it might be there? Or maybe I'm just hearing what I want to hear lol. But you can afford to make it more prominent.

So yeah. Cool piece overall and that was my constructive criticism.

Thanks man. That's helpful. I know what you mean about the layering thing (and I generally love multiple layers) but I was just coming up with a nice outline to work with my band on. at 1:54, I know it's kind of boring and it is kind of filler, but it's the only sort of transition I could find to get to the thing at 2:26. I think the volume swelling at 2:41 is just a byproduct of the delay and me playing louder/softer at times. The chugging part at 3:30 was intentional.

So yeah I'll have to experiment with some layering.