Why do we change our opinion on music dependant on the background of it?

I've never been good at choosing the right words to express whats on my mind. But I'd like to know some peoples opinions on what my mind has been dwelling on. It's just, for example... think of any Beatles song. If that had of been wrote by some random band now days, it would of been overlooked. But because we listen to the song in knowledge that it was wrote by The Beatles, it makes it exciting to listen to. I don't understand that? Just things like that. The way people might like a certain genre song that their favourite band plays, but hate anything else in that genre that different bands play etc. I don't know if that really makes sense. But if I have managed to portray what I'm thinking well, then I'm sure it is the sort of thing that a lot of people must think about every now and then.

Discuss!
Personally I don't know anyone who listens to certain songs because they're made by a certain band.
what, like the whole 'label $5 wine $500 wine and it'll taste good' phenomenon?

alright, but does that add objectivity or take it away? does the fact that you know it's made by the beatles make it appreciated the way it should, or is it over-appreciated?
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Yeah! Is there like a name for the theory of it that you know of? I'm just curious.

And no! For example, obviously there's something magic about listening to it because you're listening to it thinking of the magic that The Beatles had. They were just an example.

I'm an idiot and this is just my head
i get exactly what you mean, i am the same and i kinda hate it. I hate feeling like a music nazi!
A modern day band would likely not have the patience to record something on the scale of Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band on a four track. That's amazing to listen to and ponder in itself.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Beatles were gods so your example doesn't work. I understand what you're saying though.

I'm guilty of dismiissing some bands in the past, but I get over it and like the song if I like it.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Beatles were an extreme example. I was just picking something I knew everybody would know :p
Quote by Jimmy Blue
Yeah! Is there like a name for the theory of it that you know of? I'm just curious.

And no! For example, obviously there's something magic about listening to it because you're listening to it thinking of the magic that The Beatles had. They were just an example.

I'm an idiot and this is just my head

I think it falls under the placebo effect. I tell you your test a drug that does x but give you sugar pills and then you experience x because you believe the pills are actually doing something.

I think most people evaluate music based on how it sounds though. If the Beatles had recorded a cat dying in a blender and called it a song no one would have liked that song regardless of who it was by.
I try to enjoy music without paying attention to who wrote it (though there are instances when I may choose not to support an artist for certain reasons) or its background, but people usually do that because if the song is written by a well known band, then they will associate hearing that song with other works which the band has produced. Therefore, if they like one song, they will be more inclined to check out more. This extends to just an artist being well known even if the person has never heard their stuff. Heavy recommendation/hearing about it a lot goes a long way.

It's good to forget about it all sometimes, and take what you said into mind - if a modern band released it, it most likely would get overlooked. However, things like the Beatles... they were highly appropriate for when they were released; they probably wouldn't be now.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by C0FF1NCAS3
I think most people evaluate music based on how it sounds though. If the Beatles had recorded a cat dying in a blender and called it a song no one would have liked that song regardless of who it was by.

This.

In my opinion The Beatles are way overrated. Although yes, they definitely had a huge impact on music.
Yeah I was curious as to wether it was placebo, or if it had actually been tested and stuff before as a completely new thing specific to music :p
Quote by C0FF1NCAS3
I think it falls under the placebo effect. I tell you your test a drug that does x but give you sugar pills and then you experience x because you believe the pills are actually doing something.

yeah, this. people have confidence over the beatles, so the beatles they will feel.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by Nemesis117
because people are snobs.

This, I've seen several people hear a song and say

person 1 "oh this song isn't bad, who's it by?"
person 2 "oh, that's from Creed"
person 1 "oh, nvm"
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
My ex said she hated Robbie Williams, a few days later I put a song on by Robbie and didn't tell her who it was, she said "Who's this? It's absolutely amazing." Fucking bitch.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

What you stated happens all the time on this site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCto3PCn8wo&ob=av2e

people here generally hate that band, while the same might praise the Beatles. If Paul and John wrote that instead of Brendon, it would be praised.

As for that I think you're asking. Depending on things I won't enjoy the music. like if it was a album released after a band kicked out a member violently for no reason other than cause they can. I won't enjoy it.
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
Quote by Sinister Waffle
What you stated happens all the time on this site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCto3PCn8wo&ob=av2e

people here generally hate that band, while the same might praise the Beatles. If Paul and John wrote that instead of Brendon, it would be praised.

As for that I think you're asking. Depending on things I won't enjoy the music. like if it was a album released after a band kicked out a member violently for no reason other than cause they can. I won't enjoy it.

I praised that whole album for being an awesome Beatles mimic.

*feels even snobbier*
Quote by bradulator
I praised that whole album for being an awesome Beatles mimic.

*feels even snobbier*

I did to, its a great modern Beatles type album. But most people are like "P!ATD they suck! MESSAHUGGAH!!! "

Yet agian, that's not saying much. However, they're Beatles fans who hate that album because its not the Beatles.
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
Quote by Sinister Waffle
I did to, its a great modern Beatles type album. But most people are like "P!ATD they suck! MESSAHUGGAH!!! "

Yet agian, that's not saying much. However, they're Beatles fans who hate that album because its not the Beatles.

Word. It's nice Beatles ripoff music, similar to how Jet was to everything pre 1982.

I always stop and listen when I hear a Panic song, for nostalgic purposes of course.
Quote by bradulator
Word. It's nice Beatles ripoff music, similar to how Jet was to everything pre 1982.

I always stop and listen when I hear a Panic song, for nostalgic purposes of course.

Their non Pretty. Odd. work has actually grown on me. Urie's range is the same as mine, and if I try I can sound rather similar, so I have an arsenal of Panic songs to play when people ask me to play something for them. I now have to listen to Pretty odd.
You belong in a museum.

Well i doubt many people like revolution 9... Similarly pink floyd made two of my favourite albums of all time, dark side, and wish, but apart from that i pretty much can't stand them, insteallar overdrive's the worst song ever recorded. my opinion of a band only makes me more likely to listen to a song of theirs that i've not heard e.g i wouldn't randomly listen to a new mesuggah song but i would for a kasabian one
Quote by ErikLensherr
It's threads like this that separate grammar Nazis from only mildly anti-Semitic grammar conservatives.
Exactly what Nemesis said, people are snobs. Everyone always feels the need to take an opinion and push it to the extreme. I've heard people say things along the lines of "There was absolutely no good music after 1989, I refuse to listen to anything made after that". These are the people who write the lists of the Top 50 Songs Of All Time.
Quote by Sinister Waffle
Their non Pretty. Odd. work has actually grown on me. Urie's range is the same as mine, and if I try I can sound rather similar, so I have an arsenal of Panic songs to play when people ask me to play something for them. I now have to listen to Pretty odd.

Nice I know a guy who looks exactly like him. He's hawt. I like to work their song titles into conversations. "Build God, Then We'll Talk" is a favorite.