Hey.

Ive heard a "Beck" song on the radio the other day, but the DJ never said the name of the tune.

The tune was great, and i think it was from the "Sea Change" album. I wanna explore more of this artist. He has a pretty big catalogue and i was wondering if anyone could point me in a direction.

Where should i start and which records do you like the most? (And why?)

Thanks
" Tuning: Standard
Like any Ramones song, just hack away at the chord until it's time to change. "
Personally "Odelay!" Is a favorite of mine but it'd be kindve hard to point someone to his best work since he's all over the place with his musical styles. Odelay is a bit more groovy with some hip hop influences. But if you wanna hear his eccentricity i advise Midnite Vultures and Sexx Laws. Probably his best stuff imo.
Quote by robquest
Personally "Odelay!" Is a favorite of mine but it'd be kindve hard to point someone to his best work since he's all over the place with his musical styles. Odelay is a bit more groovy with some hip hop influences. But if you wanna hear his eccentricity i advise Midnite Vultures and Sexx Laws. Probably his best stuff imo.

I'm wantin' to get more into Beck's music aswell. I love the song Loser, thanks robquest. I'll check out Odelay
I've never been able to get into Beck any more than a handful of songs.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by genghisgandhi
I see you're listening to Mellow Gold now. How's that going?

Better than expected.
Thanks everyone for sharing.

Odeley played in the background at work today, and i really enjoyed it. Funky music!!
Me and the other guys at the office agreed to try out one Beck record each day for the rest of the week.

In this order:
Tue - Odelay
Wed - Mellow Gold
Thu - Mutations
Fri - Sea Change

Ill give you a report on Friday afternoon.
That seems like a pretty good plan. As a fair warning, though, Sea Change will stick out after the other three. Not necessarily in a bad way (it was the first of his albums that i really got into) but it's kind of a different Beck.

V - there's some truth in what he says.
Last edited by Mack56 at Sep 20, 2011,
don't overlook his more recent stuff either. Guero and The Information a both very solid albums

that being said id start with Odelay. it gives you a good idea of his general vibe
Here it goes.

Thuesday - Odelay
Well. I dont think this record need an introduction. Its a veraity of Hip Hop, Jazz, Pop and Rock.
Alot of it seems sampeld which i belive is Beck's trademark.
I like this record alot, and especially the veraity of instruments in the songs. Everything that makes a sound is an instrument here it seems.
Two of the guys at work had this as a favorite!

Wednesday - Mellow Gold.
The "Loser" record. For some reason "Loser" is the singel everybody namedrops when they talk about Beck.
Honestly i dont know if i love it or hate it.
This album is a bit more pop-influenced i guess. I find it too be a bit boring and none in the office had this as a favorite.
(Maybe ive got to give this another try some day).

Thursday - Mutations.
And now to something completely different. Mutations suprised me. In a good way i can add.
Mutations are a very describing title i think. The music has totaly mutated from his last albums.
This is the closest Beck will ever come as a singer/songwriter. Most of the songs are heavily based around the acoustic guitar.
THe samples and Hip hop/Jazz references are gone.
I find the lyrics to be funny and sarcastic. I dont know if you feel this way?
One had this as his favorite.

Friday - Sea Change.
This is my favorite. Beck wears his heart on his sleeve. And as Mack56 mentioned, it sticks out.
Its really packed with emotions and the production is great.
The strings really creates a special mood. This must be the perfect album if you are driving into the sunset, feeling a it blue.
I dont find it cheese at all.
When we reached track 8, "Round the bend" our boss came buy, and wondered which Nick Drake album we listened too. I can understand why.
It sounds almost like him, and "Round the Bend" could easily have been on the "Five leaves left" album. (By Nick Drake)
We got one girl in the office, and she ran out an bougth "Sea Change" in our lunch break. She enjoyed it that much.
Four of us had this record ranked on top. Me included.

Bottom line. Beck is an amazing artist, and its a shame that i haven't discovered him earlier. His record will spin around me for a long time.

And fortunately for us. We are not half way trough his discography.

So next weeks agenda:
Monday - Midnite Vultures
Thuesday - The information
Wednesday - Guero
Thuesday - Modern Guilt.

Iam looking forward to it.
i've found a lot of Beck's work to have aged poorly.

only ones that i still ever find myself listening to are Mutations and One Foot in the Grave.
Modern Guilt is solid. The Information is blegh.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Sea Change is the album that made me start to want to get into Beck. But I have just never cared for a lot of his albums. There are songs off different ones that are really good, but my favorite albums are Sea Change and Guerro. Other than those, especially the two newest, the songs start sounding the same. Just my opinion. But its good to see Sea Change is a favorite amongst others as well. I thought everyone hated that album for some reason.
how do you play "round the bend"?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank