Hi, I was wondering how many guitarists use economy picking, becasue it much faster to do it at some point when there are 3 note per string sequences across a couple strings. But, if I practice economy picking, I think I will reduce using of alternate picking. I don't want to sound stupid, but isn't it a kind of cheating? What about you guys? How often do u use eco picking when playing fast runs?
Almost never, I use alternate picking mostly.

You just have to find something that works for you, some players swear by it, others doesn't use it at all..

And no, I would not consider it cheating
I depends on exactly what I'm playing, both in terms of sound and style and also in terms of ease and efficiency. If I'm playing a run and I come across a part where I have ascend/descend 4 adjacent strings or something, I'll probably use economy/sweep picking. Most other things I use alternate. But both have their specific uses and sound.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
I think the speed difference between economy picking and alternate picking is generally pretty minimal. It's perfectly possible to alternate pick 3nps licks at a ludicrously fast speed. Just look at Paul Gilbert, Michael Angelo et al.
The only time economy picking will be noticably faster is when you're crossing more than 2 strings (i.e. sweeping).

The main difference between the two techniques is the sound you get IMO.
Originally posted by raygreendaystud
your a fag, listen to real music like green day, you moron
Sound and the feeling for the player. Economy feels way different for me than alternate and I use it whenever it is convenient to do so.
Quote by shredfan
I think the speed difference between economy picking and alternate picking is generally pretty minimal. It's perfectly possible to alternate pick 3nps licks at a ludicrously fast speed. Just look at Paul Gilbert, Michael Angelo et al.
The only time economy picking will be noticably faster is when you're crossing more than 2 strings (i.e. sweeping).

The main difference between the two techniques is the sound you get IMO.

+1

Also, you can't "cheat" at music.

"OMG that guy sounds awesome and he's not working as hard as some other people!"... sounds pretty smart to me.