Page 1 of 2
So yesterday this guy at a guitar shop told me that the Peavey 5150/6505 line are unreliable and frequenty break down. He said that the people that own them get them frequently fixed and monitored by professionals due to their unreliability.

My goal is to own my own 6505+ at some point but after hearing this i'm a tad skeptical. What does everyone else make of this?

5150/6505 are like the most bullet proof amps ever.

That guy is either a tool or is confusing them with the first few runs of the Bugera 6260/6262

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb

Peavey amps, especially the 6505/5150, are widely considered workhorse amps in that they're very reliable for not a whole lot of money compared to other big brands. Maybe if they're talking about the Chinese made Valve King, Windsor or the new 6505+ combo but even those are still above average in reliability IIRC.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by 00_hns_00
looking from your "influnces" signature... just get a 6505.

i want the EQ for both channels though, thats why i decided to aim for the 6505+ instead of the 6505.
I have had a Peavey Ultra, JSX XXX, 5150, and the 6505. I have never had an issue once. I've toured the united states with them and they definitely took the beating.

amazing amps! the guy you talked to was daft
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by ethan_hanus
Maybe he owned a few of the cheap Peavey tube amps cause he's a tool, and based his opinions completely off of that for the rest of em...the 6505 combo and the Valveking tend to have reliability issues, but the rest are tanks.

He might have thought i was talking about the Combo then maybe. i'd heard a lot of good things about the 6505 series but he seemed to know what he was talking about, was pretty confusing .
Quote by Afroboy267
So yesterday this guy at a guitar shop told me that the Peavey 5150/6505 line are unreliable and frequenty break down. He said that the people that own them get them frequently fixed and monitored by professionals due to their unreliability.

My goal is to own my own 6505+ at some point but after hearing this i'm a tad skeptical. What does everyone else make of this?

Maybe a Peavey 5150/6505 touched him when he was a child?
Originally Posted by ibanez_guru
ARE YOU TONE ******ED??????

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.
You have to tell us which guitar shop this was, because that is just hilarious
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by pigeonmafia
You have to tell us which guitar shop this was, because that is just hilarious

Wembley Guitar Centre, London, UK.

The guy i was talking to used to work there apparantly and helps out every now and then.
Quote by ibanez_guru
Maybe a Peavey 5150/6505 touched him when he was a child?

Okay wow, gtfo

The 6505+ doesn't have a breakaway cable, which I've heard can lead to problems, but other than that they're built extremely tough and you should be fine with one. Also, was it Guitar Center? If so, he probably just wants to sell you a Line 6 head ya know?
Quote by Afroboy267
i want the EQ for both channels though, thats why i decided to aim for the 6505+ instead of the 6505.

the cleans suck no matter what. not going to lie man, its pretty much impossible to get good cleans on the 6505+, 5150, 6505 etc.

they are known for being a workhorse metal amp. but don't except awesome clean sound.
Quote by Amaseng
Okay wow, gtfo

The 6505+ doesn't have a breakaway cable, which I've heard can lead to problems, but other than that they're built extremely tough and you should be fine with one. Also, was it Guitar Center? If so, he probably just wants to sell you a Line 6 head ya know?

Yeah, it was actually lol. He showed me a lot of Blackstar amps but no Line 6.
Quote by 00_hns_00
the cleans suck no matter what. not going to lie man, its pretty much impossible to get good cleans on the 6505+, 5150, 6505 etc.

they are known for being a workhorse metal amp. but don't except awesome clean sound.

They sound 10x better than my current Marshall AVT .
tell me, how many amps have you tried?

go to samash, or guitar center, or whatever other chain stores are in the uk, and try every amp that costs the same as the peavey (or around 200 less and 200 more). eq every amp you try, with your guitar.

start with eq bottomed out, then adjust the lows for nice bass response, adjust mids, then highs.
The cleans arent that bad ffs.

They just arent as nice as say a Fender, but for a massively high gain amp they are more than passable.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by 00_hns_00
tell me, how many amps have you tried?

go to samash, or guitar center, or whatever other chain stores are in the uk, and try every amp that costs the same as the peavey (or around 200 less and 200 more). eq every amp you try, with your guitar.

start with eq bottomed out, then adjust the lows for nice bass response, adjust mids, then highs.

Quite a few. Mesa's, Peavey's, Marshall's, Blackstar's, Randall's, Line 6's, Bugera's, etc.

i quite liked the Mesa Dual Rec's sound but no way in hell can i fork out £2K for an amp (or anything for that matter). The 6505+ just has the crunch i'm looking for with the Bugera 6262 being a good budget imitation, i will continue to try them though.
I have a peavey from the 80s that still works, so id say they are reliable
You can always find a place to go if you can keep your sanity
Quote by Tom 1.0

They just arent as nice as say a Fender, but for a massively high gain amp they are more than passable.

i thought they were pretty sterile for any amp. imo, the cleans on bugeras and bogners are better.
Quote by Tom 1.0

+100
/rig
Quote by 00_hns_00
i thought they were pretty sterile for any amp. imo, the cleans on bugeras and bogners are better.

Sterile isnt the end of the world though, its clean and stays clean till silly volumes, for a dedicated metal amp thats good enough for me.

So? Bugera dont quite it the same metal tones IMO and if your buying a 6505 or 6260 for cleans, your mental.

Well Bognors are in a completely different league so whats your point there?

Not trying to be a ****, but if you buy these sort of amps, if you need great cleans, buy a little amp to mic up for cleans or something.

the 6505 doesnt have great cleans, but they are more than passable imo

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
edit: nvm.

your right, forgot. my bad.
Last edited by 00_hns_00 at Sep 19, 2011,
the alchemist is hardly representative of Bogners metal amps though dude.

With the right boosts I could make a Fender HRD sound metal.

EDIT: why the edit?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
the alchemist is hardly representative of Bogners metal amps though dude.

With the right boosts I could make a Fender HRD sound metal.

EDIT: why the edit?

i was thinking of different amps and forgot that the alchemist has a different voicing.
Ah ok

No worries mate

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I've had my 6505+ for about 6 months now, and have only missed a handful of days playing it since. Most of the time, I play it fairly loud too. No issues whatsoever, and I've moved it 3-4 times on road trips. So, no complaints here.

And people are right, the cleans aren't that great. But if you add a chorus or reverb pedal (stock reverb is a waste), it can be more than acceptable. I recently bought a TC Electronic Hall of Fame reverb and my cleans are now beautiful - no exaggeration. It really breathes a lot of warmth and shimmer to my cleans. And even without that effect, the cleans are made better by softening your pick attack; picking dynamics are important with this amp.

And I don't need to mention the lead channel. If you're looking at a 6505, you know what you're getting into there...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Sep 20, 2011,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Even the Valvekings and the Vypyrs, which are made in China, are pretty sturdy and reliable. I've owned both and never got a cheap or crappy feeling from either (outside of maybe the cheap speakers they use)

one thing peavey does good is building shit like tanks. i have had a few peavey amps here and there, they have all been solid as all can be. i had a SS peavey head when i started out (i was like 12 IIRC) it and the cabinet got tipped over, no cosmetic damage to either parts.

i swore that amp wound't turn back on, lit up, made sound and that amp served me excellently for a year or so to come.

you can't do that with everything though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
My Valveking got hit by a water balloon, has survived third world, pothole-filled roads as well as being knocked over, used as a drink coaster, and a seat for several people on some occasions, been used as a bass amp, and been used as a hi-fi stereo for several parties on many occasions, and all that's wrong with it is that the first input jack has gone.

As far as I'm concerned, Peavey amps are solid as a rock, even their cheapo Chinese amps like the Valveking.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Tom 1.0

5150/6505 are like the most bullet proof amps ever.

That guy is either a tool or is confusing them with the first few runs of the Bugera 6260/6262
+311

I've abused my JSX and 6505+ (both rained on) unlike my other babied amps ... so solid.
Quote by Tom 1.0

oh for sure, but i mean even with my 6534, when you flip over to that clean channel, its just a clean guitar signal, theres nothing special and appealing about it, thats my problem with the 6505 series clean channels. but for the price and what you get from peavey, it cant be beat.
Interesting you should mention reliability of the 6505+ amps, a guitar store local to me just took delivery of several of the combo versions and 75% of the shipment do not work out of the box. We're talking completely dead, tube change doesn't fix anything kind of dead. From what I've heard, QC is taking a bit of a nose dive with fender amps and their subsidiaries at the moment.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Quote by 00_hns_00

Maybe if you're retarded and don't know how to turn knobs
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
5150/6505 amps are TANKs, not everyones cup o' tea, but very reliable amps. Rob Ramos of Strung Out still uses his original 5150 to record with and to tour with untill recently. So 15+ yrs using the same amp.............yeah its reliable.

EDIT: 6505+ combo's are pretty shitty for reliability.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Sep 20, 2011,
I had a first generation 5150 combo. Worst amp ever. I sent it back to Peavey in Mississippi 5 times. Although, after admitting a design flaw they totally made it worth my while and sent me a second generation, never have had an issue to this day. That's been 10 years ago! I have owned and continue to own many Peavey products, shits built bomb proof...
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Last edited by zeek7pc at Sep 20, 2011,
Page 1 of 2