Ok, I was thinking of getting a LP for quite some time now...however I want a Slash'esq type model for under a grand......

SO NATURALLY IM NOT GOING GIBSON.......

here are the runner-ups.

1) Vintage V100AFP Paradise Model Aprox $458
SPECIFICATIONS
-Body: Solid Mahogany
-Neck: Mahogany – Set Neck
-Fingerboard: Rosewood
-Scale: 24.75"/628mm
-Frets: 22
-Neck Inlays: Pearloid Crown
-Tuners: Wilkinson® WJ44 – Chrome
-Bridge: Tune-O-Matic
-Pickups: Wilkinson® WVHZ Humbuckers x 2
-Hardware: Chrome
-Controls: 2 x Volume/ 2 x Tone/ 3-Way Lever
-Accessories: Straplocks

2) Epiphone Slash Appetite Aprox $860
SPECIFICATIONS
-Mahogany body
-Carved hard maple top with AAA flamed maple veneer
-Polyurethane finish
-Glues Deep-set mahogany neck with Rounded '60s D Slash neck profile with long neck tenon
-24-3/4" scale length
-Bound rosewood fretboard
-22 nickel frets
-Trapezoid inlays
-Seymour Duncan Slash Signature Alnico-II Pro humbuckers
-2 volume controls, 2 tones, 3-way toggle switch
-Bridge and neck tone controls with special Sprague Orange Drop capacitors selected by Slash for vintage tone
-LockTone Tune-O-Matic bridge/stopbar tailpiece and straplocks
-Kluson-style tuners
-Single-ply cream binding on top
-Includes custom hardshell case, hand-signed certificate in binder, and Slash picks

3) EDWARDS E-LP-92 Approx $900-1000
SPECIFICATIONS
-BODY (Top) Flame Maple (Back) Mahogany w/ Ivory Binding
-NECK Mahogany
-FINGERBORAD Rosewood, 22frets w/ Ivory Binding
-RADIUS 305R
-SCALE 24.75 inch (628mm)
-NUT Bone (43mm)
-INLAY Pearloid Dish
-JOINT Set-neck
-TUNER GOTOH SD90-SL
-BRIDGE Old Type Tune-Matic & GOTOH GE101Z
-PICKUPS (Neck) Seymour Duncan SH-1n
-(Bridge) Seymour Duncan SH-4
-PARTS COLOR Nickel
-CONTROLS Neck Volume&Tone, Bridge Volume&Tone, Toggle PU Selector-
-WEIGHT : About 3950g
-IN : Softcase

All of them sounds like a pretty good deal.. I been weary of buying Epis because of the possible poor construction of the guitar..

The Vintage v100 nor does the Edwards have Alnicos II

in your opinion... which would be the safest bet?(quality/sound quality and most value)

Thanks,
B
just some aditions to your list, cort and agile make some good competitors
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Edwards. But I'd personally try and find something even better used.
Quote by W4RP1G
Edwards. But I'd personally try and find something even better used.

please elaborate... Im trying to think of what my best option would be..

Thanks.
i've played the recent epi Slash model and actually it's pretty good. definitely better than your average epi LP.
The actual Slash models are pointless. Buy any Les Paul copy and put some SD Alnico II Pros in and you've got the sam thing as a Slash signature guitar but it'll cost you much less. When you buy signature gear a lot of what you're paying for is the name of the player that is attached to it. It's the same as why a Vintage LP copy is cheaper than an Epiphone LP.

The Vintage there is the best value for the money but just like with the Epiphone and Gibson Slash models it's no different from other Vintage LPs really, it just has a higher price tag because it's an unofficial Slash model. Buy a regular Vintage LP for even less and you'll be better off.

The Edwards would be great too. The quality:price rate isn't quite as good with Vintage but it is the better guitar, if you don't mind paying the extra. 2x the price, about 1.5x the quality. Up to you whether you feel that's worth it. But Edwards will retain its value a little bit better than the Vintage will. Edwards guitars have the basic construction done in China but they're finished off in Japan and quality control's good.

Do remember that just because something has Slash's name on it does not mean it will sound like Slash's gear. It just means it looks like his, really. Famous guitar players sound how they do because of who they are, not because their guitar has a special finish and they put some SD pickups in it.
^^ True

I think the only difference is the finish and the pups. Well, you do get the slash truss rod cover if that counts........but i'm sure if you really want it you can buy one on ebay.

The finish is gorgeous though, even if it is overpriced.

EDIT: with the edwards your also paying for the pickups. Go to youtube and look up how to sound like slash for under 1000. Chappers has a great vid and is pretty astounded with the differences in the pickups between a stock epi and the slash gibson. The pickups are a pretty big part of it.

As i mentioned, with the edwards, they pay for the SDs and that kinda drives the price up a bit especially if you plan on changing them to slash pups.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Last edited by JKHC at Sep 19, 2011,
Quote by Finger Cramp
You can't beat this deal for $785 shipped! It looks to be in excellent condition.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220854905550?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648#ht_8834wt_1396

This, absolutly this, if not at least the edwards, if you can, also look into a "Burney", if not, just get this, you won't regret it.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Only get a signature guitar if it's a good guitar without the name. I bought a Jim Adkins (Jimmy Eat World) Telecaster cuz it's an amazing guitar. It's very different to most telecasters. P90's, set in neck, F hole, Les Paul style layout... Whereas the Slash Epi will be pretty much exactly like any other les paul with Seymour Duncans.
Quote by spadeswyld
please elaborate... Im trying to think of what my best option would be..

Thanks.

Iirc, newer Edwards are partially made in China. For that reason, I would go with a strictly Japanese model.
Edwards does the CNC routing of the wood and the major joinery at the ESP factory in China. No other brands of guitars are made there. All the workers work for ESP. Quality control is ESP, managment is ESP. What leaves that factory is an ESP guitar blank. They are shipped to various ESP factories in Japan for finishing by ESP luthiers.

Exactly what reason would you look for another guitar?!?!? Maybe I missed something.
Quote by Finger Cramp
Edwards does the CNC routing of the wood and the major joinery at the ESP factory in China. No other brands of guitars are made there. All the workers work for ESP. Quality control is ESP, managment is ESP. What leaves that factory is an ESP guitar blank. They are shipped to various ESP factories in Japan for finishing by ESP luthiers.

Exactly what reason would you look for another guitar?!?!? Maybe I missed something.

I don't give a flying f*** if the Chinese workers work for NASA, they are still made in China. The Japanese factory only assembles the already cut and painted guitars before it goes on the market. Doesn't Schecter assemble their guitars in the US? I guess Schecters must be as good as any other American made guitar, right?

It seems like every company claims they have top representatives that oversee their foreign production and QC, but I just don't see the same quality. Still, that doesn't stop every fanboy from jumping on that argument, as well as the CNC argument.

It's kind of a steep price for a Chinese guitar.
Last edited by W4RP1G at Sep 21, 2011,
Quote by W4RP1G
I don't give a flying f*** if the Chinese workers work for NASA, they are still made in China. The Japanese factory only assembles the already cut and painted guitars before it goes on the market. Doesn't Schecter assemble their guitars in the US? I guess Schecters must be as good as any other American made guitar, right?

It seems like every company claims they have top representatives that oversee their foreign production and QC, but I just don't see the same quality. Still, that doesn't stop every fanboy from jumping on that argument, as well as the CNC argument.

It's kind of a steep price for a Chinese guitar.

the bigger name companies do have QC people checking things. keep in mind that these guitars are built to a price point so minor flaws are going to be acceptable. i've worked in manufacturing for most of my career and can tell you it's no different here. i've held shipments only to be told "eh it's ok" many times. the QC people there aren't inspecting every individual guitar and are there to make sure the basic specs are adheared to.

i agree that if all the parts are made in china then saying it's japanese is kinda bogus.
Quote by monwobobbo
the bigger name companies do have QC people checking things. keep in mind that these guitars are built to a price point so minor flaws are going to be acceptable. i've worked in manufacturing for most of my career and can tell you it's no different here. i've held shipments only to be told "eh it's ok" many times. the QC people there aren't inspecting every individual guitar and are there to make sure the basic specs are adheared to.

i agree that if all the parts are made in china then saying it's japanese is kinda bogus.

I've always heard Edwards were good guitar, even the newer ones, and I'm prone to believe that they are better than the run-of-the mill Epiphone, LTD, or Squier made in China, but I don't have the luxury of playing one because they don't distribute them in the US. But considering the typical Chinese product pales in comparison to a Japanese product, and, like you said, they are built to a price point, which is why they are in China in the first place, I can't in my right not suggest someone explore the Japanese brands for used guitar at the same price.

It does irritate me to no end though when someone says the parent company has their personal QC inspectors to oversee production. That really does mean nothing to me, especially since they all say that.
I didn't say that. Reading comprehension owns you! The guitars are made in an ESP factory! Did you get that?

You really have no idea what your talking about. Your a meaningless talking username on a message board who reiterates everything read on said message board. Your like a "Chatty Cathy" Doll. Pull the string and it just starts talking. These message boards become little microcosms of real life each with it's own popular belief system be it correct or not.

I'd imagine your a leader here on the Chinese guitar bandwagon. Doesn't even matter if it's from China really. You'll just say it is and it will become truth. The real truth is you probably couldn't pick up a guitar without looking at the name on it and decipher anything about where it was from by simply playing it. People with their BS labels.
Quote by W4RP1G
I've always heard Edwards were good guitar, even the newer ones, and I'm prone to believe that they are better than the run-of-the mill Epiphone, LTD, or Squier made in China, but I don't have the luxury of playing one because they don't distribute them in the US. But considering the typical Chinese product pales in comparison to a Japanese product, and, like you said, they are built to a price point, which is why they are in China in the first place, I can't in my right not suggest someone explore the Japanese brands for used guitar at the same price.

Everything you posted above was speculation or hearsay. In other words not worth the electrons it's printed with. You've never played an Edwards but you're in a position to advise others on the subject. Some people like to hear themselves speak I guess.
Quote by Finger Cramp
I didn't say that. Reading comprehension owns you! The guitars are made in an ESP factory! Did you get that?

You really have no idea what your talking about. Your a meaningless talking username on a message board who reiterates everything read on said message board. Your like a "Chatty Cathy" Doll. Pull the string and it just starts talking. These message boards become little microcosms of real life each with it's own popular belief system be it correct or not.

I'd imagine your a leader here on the Chinese guitar bandwagon. Doesn't even matter if it's from China really. You'll just say it is and it will become truth. The real truth is you probably couldn't pick up a guitar without looking at the name on it and decipher anything about where it was from by simply playing it. People with their BS labels.

Welcome to the internet. If you don't like someone voicing their opinion, stay away from a forum.

I present fact and personal experience, you call me a chatty cathy doll. I think I won this round. Good attempt at finding some kind of moral high ground though, but you fell short.
Quote by grohl1987

Do remember that just because something has Slash's name on it does not mean it will sound like Slash's gear. It just means it looks like his, really. Famous guitar players sound how they do because of who they are, not because their guitar has a special finish and they put some SD pickups in it.

THIS. Some of the Mark Tremonti model PRS models are really bad. They are apparently just like any cheap PRS , the only difference is it's got Mark's name and the guitar looks exactly like this. The pickups and quality control are nowhere near as good as the guitar that Mark uses.
Oh boy, heres that MIC argument again, dont know how many times Ive seen this so far. Also Schecters are only setup in USA, all the building is in Korea. The Chapman guitars(monkey lord) are all made in china, and as far as everyone says their made exactly the same as the Jayden Rose handmade prototype. So, I dont think the can be all that bad.

The ebay deal on that Edwards look sweet, I dont think you can go wrong with that.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Quote by W4RP1G

It does irritate me to no end though when someone says the parent company has their personal QC inspectors to oversee production. That really does mean nothing to me, especially since they all say that.

the chinese are catching up to japan in terms of quality provided the intent is to make a quality guitar. japan made plenty of crap guitars back in the day and now only make higher end stuff just like the US. i think you'll find that any affordable guitars that are made in japan still will have chinese made parts in them. it is true that representatives from the parent company do oversee quality not to say they are personally on the line everyday but this is part of ISO (international business standard). all guitars are built to a price point it's not just the cheapies.

i've only played one Edwards and it was a great guitar. i'd be inclined to go with that as well. when i recommend used i hope that the person can play the guitar first as it may be a stinker or have flaws that would be a deal breaker. just because the used guitar is better on paper doesn't mean that that particular one is.