Page 1 of 3
In 2009, a Boston jury downgraded a ruling against Joel Tenenbaum for illegally downloading music files from $675,000 to just $67,500, deeming the original penalty "unconstitutionally excessive."

Not so fast, an appeals court has ruled.

On Friday, following pleas for further leniency from Tenenbaum and indignant filings from the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), a federal appeals court revisited the ruling -- and decided Tenenbaum ought to pay.

“We affirm the finding of liability against Tenenbaum and in favor of plaintiffs,” U.S. Circuit Chief Judge Sandra Lynch said in the written opinion released Friday -- reinstating the $675,000 judgment against Tenenbaum, a 28-year-old graduate student pursuing a physics PhD at Boston University.

Yikes.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/09/19/music-fan-owes-675000-for-illegally-downloading-music-court-rules/?test=latestnews
I read Tenenbaum and laughed.

sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Good.

EDIT:

But also very much this:

Quote by necrosis1193

I'm not in favour of piracy - on the contrary, I buy what music I don't borrow from friends - but the RIAA is to anti-piracy as the crusaders were to Christianity; extremist zealots exacting disproportional, unbalanced retribution. Except in the RIAA's case, if they didn't make everyone who says "piracy isn't a good thing" look like the same kind of nuts, there'd actually be a decent cause there.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Sep 19, 2011,
Quote by Doppelgänger
lol what a loser i mean who dl's music illegally that's just bad

I'm not in favour of piracy - on the contrary, I buy what music I don't borrow from friends - but the RIAA is to anti-piracy as the crusaders were to Christianity; extremist zealots exacting disproportional, unbalanced retribution. Except in the RIAA's case, if they didn't make everyone who says "piracy isn't a good thing" look like the same kind of nuts, there'd actually be a decent cause there.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
Quote by blake1221
Ouch. Good thing I've never pirated anything.

>_> brb, magnets.

mfw I can't remember the last song I bought

I would seriously be pissed. That's just ****ing ridiculous. The real people you should be fining are the people who put the torrents up in the first place. How does that even work? How do these illegal downloaders get caught and not the people who are hosting the torrents? What the ****? Dude this is total bullshit, I feel for the guy.
Why isn't the fee he's supposed to pay in line with what the downloade for? If it if, well, suits him just fine.

Either give him a fee that is comparable to what he downloaded for or don't give him one at all.
goodluck to him for finishing that PhD in physics, that fine is more than 5 times his tuition i would assume

EDIT: For the WHOLE course, not per term.
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Good.

How do people even rationalize stealing music? Its stealing somebody's lives work. Must make them feel all big inside. They need to start slapping prison sentences on these people as if they'd stolen it from a physical store. The amount some people steal is tantamount to grand theft which is a felony folks.

If you can't afford your music then you shouldn't listen to it. Would you steal a car because you couldn't afford one? Nope. Theft is theft, I don't care how its rationalized.
Quote by mh1986
Good.

How do people even rationalize stealing music? Its stealing somebody's lives work. Must make them feel all big inside. They need to start slapping prison sentences on these people as if they'd stolen it from a physical store. The amount some people steal is tantamount to grand theft which is a felony folks.

If you can't afford your music then you shouldn't listen to it. Would you steal a car because you couldn't afford one? Nope. Theft is theft, I don't care how its rationalized.

Some people feel like they're entitled to it and have reasons why they feel they shouldn't pay for it.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by mh1986
Good.

Maybe they should be going after the people behind the downloads? If you have a problem with a huge drug cartel are you just going to go after the people buying it? No that's not solving the problem.
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by mh1986
Good.

Stealing a car is depriving someone else from having one. If I steal a car from a single mother, she no longer has a car. If she's seeding a Lil B album, she keeps the album, and I get an album. Two different things.
Quote by mh1986
Good.

I'd like to support the artists directly but I'm really not that hip on paying my earned money on music that I know about 80 % of it will end down in the pockets of a company that has little if anything to do with the band/artist.

I buy as many cds and vinyls as my economy can afford. Other then that I use spotify or download the odd album and if I like it I'll most likely buy it. But I do believe I support an artist or a band better by actually hearing their music and forming an opinion of them than never hearing them at all.

I, as a musician prefer to have a lot of people hear my music and form an opinion on the music in question themselves than just those who can afford it. In Sweden an album is still pretty expensive. Around 15 euro for an album.
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Sep 19, 2011,
Quote by genghisgandhi
*ignores above post*

So does peer block work? This has gotten me worried again

yo thanks for puttin that in your sig, it didn't come up in my sub box because youtube sucks.
Quote by bass-man9712
Maybe they should be going after the people behind the downloads? If you have a problem with a huge drug cartel are you just going to go after the people buying it? No that's not solving the problem.

That's what I find silly, why sue the downloader, not the guys hosting the downloads?

Quote by genghisgandhi
*ignores above post*

Whateva nigga, I'm mediafireing right now.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Last edited by Horsedick.MPEG at Sep 19, 2011,
I support the band through other ways like buying merch or going to a show. You know, where it actually matters.

I'd have to pay about $2500-$3000 for the music on my ipod. Who do you think I am?
pinga
This is ridiculous. If anything, he should just be getting a small fee. If you go steal a bunch of candles (don't know why I chose this example), it wouldn't be right to be fined $670,500.

How do I rationalise stealing music? I normally buy, but there are exceptions. Like if I read that a band doesn't care if you do it (I care more about the band than the label, especially with large labels), I won't feel guilty.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Sep 19, 2011,
Quote by mh1986
Good.

Well, then people who put music on the computers and burn disks should go to. The process behind illegal downloads are the same, some guy copies the disk to his computer and shares it through the internet with all his "friends". Just because the media is different doesn't make the action different. I don't think that it is morally right to download, however I also don't believe that $20 for a new cd is morally right either. So, say what you will, but if the music is good then buy it, but if it's not, download it and decide later.
I'm FAT!
Quote by Tom 1.0
Good.

Get real dude.
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Quote by ItsThatDude
Get real dude.

Yeah Tom, get concrete bro. No more of that being abstract shit.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Quote by genghisgandhi
Speaking of mediafire, is there any chance of getting caught with that? I heard there's like zero chance.

That's all I use, so I hope not. Files get removed if there's a complaint or something. And I'm pretty sure the RIAA has given up on "catching" new people for downloading music, since it's so widespread.
Quote by mh1986
Good.

He doesn't deserve to pay 675,000 dollars because you're an idiot.

How do people even rationalize stealing music?

Simple. One cannot get everything they want. Find me a Timeghoul demo for a reasonable price.

Its stealing somebody's lives work.

Must make them feel all big inside.

Yeah, that's it. You nailed it on the head. Illegal downloaders are bullies.

They need to start slapping prison sentences on these people as if they'd stolen it from a physical store.

No they seriously do not. Let's have loads of college students serving a 6 month sentence in prison for illegally downloading an album. Yes, let's put said college students in with a bunch of rapists, murderers and other various law breakers.

The amount some people steal is tantamount to grand theft which is a felony folks.

I have no idea what you're even talking about. If it's any consolation, I have a hard time understanding the down syndrome kids I went to school with.

If you can't afford your music then you shouldn't listen to it.

That's stupid and you're stupid.

Would you steal a car because you couldn't afford one? Nope.

No, I'd wait until I found a 5,000 dollar CD and buy that instead.

Theft is theft, I don't care how its rationalized.

Of course you don't.

A.K.A. I hate you, you hefty anal clinger.
Quote by genghisgandhi
I wasn't talking to you.

Speaking of mediafire, is there any chance of getting caught with that? I heard there's like zero chance.

I was directly above you so I was assuming I was the one mentioned.

Idk about mediafire, from my research, the person in trouble is the guy who uploaded it on websites like mediafire, megaupload, rapidshare, etc...
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I'd like to see the size of the RIAA's record collection.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by genghisgandhi
I wasn't talking to you.

Nope, that's what I do. (Or would do if I were a pirate. >_> ( Because I really don't pirate. <_< ))

I mean, technically you could, but it's just not worth the effort, because mediafire hosts legitimate downloads too. It's not like torrenting where your IP is being broadcast to everyone there, only the mediafire server sees it. And if you use Tor or something like that, you're pretty much set.
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Sep 19, 2011,
Quote by due 07
And I'm pretty sure the RIAA has given up on "catching" new people for downloading music, since it's so widespread.

Yeah, that's what I've heard. This guy was caught in 2009? That's like forever ago in internet years.

EDIT - 2006!

That's like the bronze age of the internet.
Last edited by genghisgandhi at Sep 19, 2011,
Cruel and unusual punishment. Court should've stuck with the $67,000 ruling. If I never downloaded music before buying it, I wouldn't own 150 CDs or have gone to see even half of the bands I've paid to see. I eventually buy about 80% of what I download, the other 20% is stuff I listened to once and disliked, and most likely never would have bought anyway.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
I read Tenenbaum and laughed.

There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I'm pretty sure the RIAA stopped going after people who download, and now they're targeting people who upload. This is an old case, which is why this happened. Though, they might have changed their minds. But honestly, it doesn't really matter to me a whole lot. I don't really download anything that the RIAA would give a shit about. It's not smart to download Lil Wayne. It's not a big problem if I download Guru Guru.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Page 1 of 3