Hello there fellow U-G'ers. I recently acquired an ESP/LTD EC-200 QM that has a push-pull knob to switch between Humbuckers and Single Coil pickups. I have played around with it, and I like the Humbuckers better because there is less of a buzz.

Onto my question: What is the difference between the two?

I have used every technique I know on both of the settings. I have played the same riff over and over trying to hear the difference and the only difference I hear is that on the Single Coil setting, there is a buzz when I am holding the guitar (muting the strings) and there is no buzz on the humbucker setting.

Thanks,
Skittles

Postscript: Which do you guys prefer?

Dysania:
The state of finding it hard to get out of bed in the morning.

Want that on a shirt? Check out my DistrictLines online store, Asixex

For that exact shirt, click here

ESP/LTD H-51
CRATE G-40-C
DIGITECH DF-7

I'd suggest reading the FAQ at the top of the forum...

but anyway...

Humbuckers are MADE to get rid of the buzz, or "hum", as the name suggests.

And as to what I prefer, it depends on what i'm playing.

Rock/Metal - Humbuckers

Jazz/Blues/Anything without distortion - Single Coils
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
Google.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Well, those coil splits don't give as obvious of a difference as say; Strat vs. Les Paul. But it should still be a bit more trebly.
Single coils have a thinner sound, can sound more jangly and natural. Humbuckers are a bit warmer, with more volume and a generally thicker sound.
humbuckers are louder, have less treble, gainier, and don't buzz as much when used with distortion.

single coils are quieter, quite trebly and spankey, not as gainy, and buzz quite a bit when used with distortion.
You see how the guitar has 2 parts to each pickup? Well when you coil tap it only one part of the pickup is being used. When it's not coil tapped then both are being used. It's quieter in the humbucker mode because each side of the pickup is wired in reverse directions of each other (or something like that) which causes them to get out of the hum. Thus the name "humbucker". Humbuckers will give you more sustain, a lot less humming, and send your amp into overdrive more easily. Single coils have a lot more hum,have less sustain, and are a lot better for snappy cleans.
Thanks for all the answers! Next time I'll read the FAQ. But i don't trust Google.

Dysania:

ESP/LTD H-51
CRATE G-40-C
DIGITECH DF-7

Quote by Ragu35
I'd suggest reading the FAQ at the top of the forum...

but anyway...

Humbuckers are MADE to get rid of the buzz, or "hum", as the name suggests.

And as to what I prefer, it depends on what i'm playing.

Rock/Metal - Humbuckers

Jazz/Blues/Anything without distortion - Single Coils

LIES!!!

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=strats&sub=contemporary&pickup=the_sinner
Quote by kutless999
Google.

Better to go to Google than an Electric Guitar thread at UG for this question? Bite your tongue, I've seen some of the best advice given here and would thank you not to try and drive people away..../end-old-man-rant
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
- Stephen F. Roberts
Quote by bkmurff
Better to go to Google than an Electric Guitar thread at UG for this question? Bite your tongue, I've seen some of the best advice given here and would thank you not to try and drive people away..../end-old-man-rant

This.

Seriously, I get so much more information by asking UG about ANYTHING than googling it. I once asked for the price of a hooker in new jersey during christmas break in the pit, and then googled it and searched for five minutes. After five minutes, google had nothing. I check the post and had about 35 replies, all from the same guy and all about 4 paragraphs long. He apparently knew the scene very well

Dysania:

ESP/LTD H-51
CRATE G-40-C
DIGITECH DF-7

When I searched "humbuckers vs single coil" in google, the ug link above was the first thing that came up. You can trust ug, right?
Basically, well for me anyway, humbuckers are best for metal, rock, and mildy overdriven blues, and single coils for clean and blues.
Or you can get the best of both worlds with a stacked humbucker.
Cusp of Magic
Do you guys think going from a stock squire bridge pup to a gfs 15k dual rail humbucker will give me a clearer tone?