Sorry if this is the wrong forum or something, but I'd love to know...

What's a good PA system for starters? I don't want to spend much over $300 and it'll be used for band practice and gigs (hopefully). Thus, it has to be loud enough to get over a (loud) drummer, 2 guitars and a bass. It doesn't have to have hardly any channels, as there's only one singer, so just as long as it's loud enough and doesn't sound completely horrid, it'll work.

Also, a good mic to go with this PA if it doesn't come with one? It'll be pretty much used for screams and growls, so I guess dynamic ability wouldn't be a huge issue, but I've never looked much into mics or what makes a good mic, so I wouldn't totally know.

Wrap-up (TL-DR):

Need a decent PA system
Around $300
Loud enough for gigs
Also need a decent mic if it doesn't come with one
Quote by ethan_hanus
No, key board amp is your PA. You can't afford a decent PA and a mic at $300. Maybe what DiMarzio77 posted, but that's $100 over your budget. I'm just sayen, 200 watt keyboard amps are pretty easy to come by used.

I think I could push it to $400. I'm getting a huge financial aid refund check from my college, which is going to be around $2500, so I'm getting an Omen-8 and a PA. (Irresponsible spending of money FTW)
Quote by The.new.guy
I think I could push it to $400. I'm getting a huge financial aid refund check from my college, which is going to be around $2500, so I'm getting an Omen-8 and a PA. (Irresponsible spending of money FTW)

Ah, I see, then get something like what DiMarizo77 posted, just a simple self powered PA.

FTW of irresponsible spending...until you really need the money for something else more important.
for a microphone, you cant go wrong with a shure sm 57. extremely versatile and handles high volumes. plus it can be used to mic just about any instrument.

it should be noted that most venues will have a pa system and mics and whatnot.

as for practice, you could probably get away with a single powered monitor and just run your mic into that.
if you want something more,
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Harbinger-HA120-Portable-PA-System-105776611-i1509687.gc

has gotten good reviews. my band played a backyard show with one once, it wasnt bad. sound was good for the size of the system. monitoring at that show was another story... but set it up and eq it right and it will get the job done

ahh irresponsible spending... my old nemesis... but also my friend in the form of an early 70's ampeg v2 cab sitting in my garage
Last edited by SGRocker400 at Sep 19, 2011,
Unfortunately $300 will get you nothing worth buying. You deffinately need to spend a little more, or maybe you can get lucky piecing it together
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i used to use a gibson saturn amp as a pa worked great it had to separate channels you could plug your guitar in one and a mic in the other
http://www.nextag.com/Behringer-B212D-Powered-PA-682101498/prices-html

Put a dynamic mic into one of those (something akin to the Shure SM58, there are lots of cheaper alternatives from brands like Apex).

Easily add more speakers or use them as powered monitors in the future. You can even drive them from mixers when you upgrade to one of those.

Edit: changed condenser to dynamic, brain cell death due to old age.
Last edited by Quintex at Sep 20, 2011,