I am looking for a metal guitar which has 24 frets or more, which has a fixed bridge and is very playable. I want this because I dont have a 24 fret guitar and because I change tunings alot now that I go to music college and am forming a band. I've been looking at Ibanez Xiphos because I've never owned an Ibanez, but have loved all the ones I've played, and because my hero, Muhammed Sucimez of Necrophagist plays that shape, and I love the looks of this guitar.

Is this guitar a decent buy? the guitar I have at the moment is a Jackson RR3 Rhoads, which is worth about £450, so I'm not sure if this Ibanez will match up to it in terms of tone and playability.

In the future I may be interested in putting EMG 81's in this guitar, but that will be a while away I think.

This is a link to the guitar:

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&q=XP300FX&rlz=1R2GGLL_en-GB&gs_upl=1741l1741l0l2177l1l1l0l0l0l0l158l158l0.1l1l0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17798514173885161982#
I've got an XPT700 and it's a pretty cool axe. Mine has a tremolo though: edge III, which isn't that great, but holds tuning well enough if I don't abuse it. It's also got dimarzio d'activators which are awesome pickups. The INFS are passable but yeah you'd probably want to swap them eventually.

All in all I will say that my xiphos is surprisingly good for an Indonesian made guitar. If the 300 plays anything like the 700 then yeah it's a great guitar, and if you like the spiky look then even better!

The biggest issue I have with my Xiphos is the placement of the strap buttons. I like them being more or less in line with the neck but the rear strap button on the xiphos (you can see it in your link) sits about halfway up the horn which I find incredibly frustrating. I'll probably move it when I get around to it.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
I have the Inf 3/4 pickups in my RG5 and they sound decent. So I would assume with the Mahogany body of the XPT they would sound as good or better. I played an XPT700 a few times and loved the sound, but hated the feel of the X body. I agree with Wolverine, the strap buttons could be better placed. If I got it that cheap, I'd be happy I think. But I'd probably prefer the 700.
Quote by VVolverin3
I've got an XPT700 and it's a pretty cool axe. Mine has a tremolo though: edge III, which isn't that great, but holds tuning well enough if I don't abuse it. It's also got dimarzio d'activators which are awesome pickups. The INFS are passable but yeah you'd probably want to swap them eventually.

All in all I will say that my xiphos is surprisingly good for an Indonesian made guitar. If the 300 plays anything like the 700 then yeah it's a great guitar, and if you like the spiky look then even better!

The biggest issue I have with my Xiphos is the placement of the strap buttons. I like them being more or less in line with the neck but the rear strap button on the xiphos (you can see it in your link) sits about halfway up the horn which I find incredibly frustrating. I'll probably move it when I get around to it.

Ok cool, I'll check out the model you have as well, the XPT700. By the way I dont think I'd have too big of a problem with the placement of the strap button because my Jackson Rhoads has it in almost exactly the same place ha ha and Ive learned to live with that. anyway Ill check it out, it may be more annoying than I thought
The fixed bridge xiphos is a good guitar, and you can often find it used for $400 or so. The dimarzio d activator pickups are great, and the neck feels good on those models. My only gripe with that guitar is the super cheap inlays, but it's not an expensive guitar so I suppose it doesn't really matter. Play one, and if you like it buy it and enjoy!
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.