Quote by brock_star666
Which do you play? I use both depending on the sound I want to get.

Thats the answer i wish more people would use. Most people are all "picks are gay" and things of the such.
I use picks. I can't finger pick for my life, although I'm going to try to change that.

EDIT: I didn't notice that this was the bass forum. Either way, whenever I do play a bass, I use a pick.
Last edited by xShade at Sep 19, 2011,
Picks are a way of saying, 'I can't go as fast as I want but I don't want to practice to change that' Fingers for me and nothing else.
Oh I thought this was another one of those "Which should I use?" What a relief.

Fingers though. Not very dexterous with a pick. Plus I prefer the sound of fingers more.
I only use a pick during marching band season, when it get's cold enough that my fingers freeze up.
Quote by THEdevilYOUknow
No, it's plain science, women are evil

Quote by MB343
Women = time x money
time = money
Money = √evil
women = √evil x √evil
women = evil
Quote by arnolddrummer
Picks are a way of saying, 'I can't go as fast as I want but I don't want to practice to change that' Fingers for me and nothing else.

And here come the elitist douches...
Quote by THEdevilYOUknow
No, it's plain science, women are evil

Quote by MB343
Women = time x money
time = money
Money = √evil
women = √evil x √evil
women = evil
I use my fingers, even for faster stuff. If I want it to sound more agressive I just change my EQing seeing as I have a really agressive attack on my strings anyway and I usually have to EQ to get rid of that in the end-result.

Which leads to when I use a pick: If I completely messed up my fingers and they're all blistery or recovering from said blisters.
I've recently started using stringlube, though, and that definitely helps prevent blisters.

I'd rather not use a pick simply because the string-spacing is different from my electric guitar, obviously, so it just makes me sloppy and inaccurate.

Fingers on bass, pick on my electric guitar.
Then I shall insert my erect penis into the narrow vaginal cavity of my blood-relative whom I predate by approximately 5 years.
I like playing with my fingers and thumb more, I think its because i can put more feeling into it and its funner. But sometimes I use a pick if I need to
I used to use both, depending on the song I was playing. Now I pretty much only use my fingers. I still use a pick for some songs that I'm just playing along to but with my band, it's all fingers.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
fingers its easyer and less tireing i think i pick rong and plus i pefer the feel and my school band dosnt allow picks
Fingers for me but I do use both.

BTW searchbar please.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Fingers, I don't like any tone I get with a pick, I'm not a clank person. I do chuck though, new term to me, aka pick with a fingernail like a pick. I'm so used to bass i finger and chuck on guitar, I can't use a pick for the life of me, but I love my tones
depends on the tone I'm after.

I don't know of a way to embed videos on this forum so take this link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LqxSU_INOM

the audio that is there is because my webcam's volume knob doesn't turn all the way down
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
From the bass forum FAQ:

6. Should I use fingers or a pick?
Whatever feels more comfortable to you, and gives you the tone you want. Mix it up, do whatever. Just keep in mind that it’s good practice to learn how to use both. Don’t make a thread on it, it’ll just lead to a flame fest, and none of us want that.

Let's call it quits on this thread.
Can I play my bass through a guitar amp?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
Can I play my bass through a guitar amp?

yes but you'll damage the tubes.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by dark Mass
yes but you'll damage the tubes.

and if you're switching over from guitar to bass, you'll want to get a 6 string bass so that it's not so easy it's boring.
Bass is easy, too; all you play is root notes.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
I used fingers till the longest time. I now use picks to get faster sounds. When I was in school band I used fingers all the time. When I play Maiden I use fingers. or when I can't find my pic because my singer took my last one :P. noodling around with fingers. but when I jam with my band I use a pick.