Hey Pit, I am pretty interested in this topic, I have got a friend who memorizes stuff like unbelievabley quick. In school, music, and everything else. I am just wondering how I can get to be better at it.

I'm taking AP psych so I know a bit about memory..how it works etc. I know there are tricks to memorizing, I am just wondering what are the tricks (wasn't fully explained in class), how do I use them most efficiently, web resource links for info/ excersizes anyone has found helpful...and thanks

feel free to share whatever
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.
Hook your smart phone into you ear via USB, and download it into your skull....or have we not developed that technology yet?

I mean, if we can develop underwater treadmills for shrimp to run on to study how they run across the ocean floor, certainly we can make phones that download information into our brains...right?
why not ask your friend?
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
Memory is directly proportional to one's intelligence, TS.

Sorry, but compared to your friend you're screwed.
Quote by Avedas
Memory is directly proportional to one's intelligence, TS.

Sorry, but compared to your friend you're screwed.

so improving one's memory would improve their intelligence? hence why he's asking...
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
...i woulndt know my gbrians been described as a computer with a good processor and lots of ram but little disk space

i have horrible memory

and the drugs and lack of sleep isnt helping...
im ****ed up
Last edited by supersac at Sep 19, 2011,
Quote by Casketcreep
External hard drive of course.

Or delete cookies and de-frag.

Pfft, NTFS is for noobs, you'll constantly be forgetting and misplacing things. Use ext4 and an SSD with regular RAID backups, and your memory will be all set.
writing things down helps improve your memory. Write down your dreams once you wake up in the morning, and keep a "diary" for a little while. it'll definitely help.

..and don't smoke crack
Call Me NiDo
Just memorize stuff, even if you have to start off with mind-numbing rote and repetition, and make a point of not writing things down that you want to remember.

In the last couple years my memory has improved to levels that people find abnormal because I refuse to write down anything ever but the amount of information I need to remember only increases on a daily basis.
Quote by madbasslover
Just memorize stuff, even if you have to start off with mind-numbing rote and repetition, and make a point of not writing things down that you want to remember.

In the last couple years my memory has improved to levels that people find abnormal because I refuse to write down anything ever but the amount of information I need to remember only increases on a daily basis.

Wait... Don't write things down? Am I reading this correctly?

That's a new approach. Might try that sometime.
^ Actually, I will admit it has worked for me as well. I focus on remembering something, and I have no back up other than having to run back through the pages and what not. Puts a bit of pressure on the reader to remember, and has helped my substantially.

Quote by 801Current
Hey Pit, I am pretty interested in this topic, I have got a friend who memorizes stuff like unbelievabley quick. In school, music, and everything else. I am just wondering how I can get to be better at it.

I'm taking AP psych so I know a bit about memory..how it works etc. I know there are tricks to memorizing, I am just wondering what are the tricks (wasn't fully explained in class), how do I use them most efficiently, web resource links for info/ excersizes anyone has found helpful...and thanks

feel free to share whatever

Yes, like mnemonics. A book that would appeal to you is Moonwalking with Einstein, it's all about this kind of stuff. You know, remembering and stuff.

Also, did you forgot how to spell exercise?
Last edited by severed-metal at Sep 19, 2011,
Quote by severed-metal
Yes, like mnemonics. A book that would appeal to you is Moonwalking with Einstein, it's all about this kind of stuff. You know, remembering and stuff.

Also, did you forgot how to spell exercise?

Yeah, did you forget the present tense of forget?

anyway thanks to all the legit posts keep em comin
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Wait... Don't write things down? Am I reading this correctly?

That's a new approach. Might try that sometime.

I know it's kinda counter-intuitive, but if I write something down I completely lose the ability to remember it. The only way for me to commit something to memory is to avoid writing it anywhere so that I'm forced to internalize it. From what I gather, though, my process is pretty uncommon.
Quote by severed-metal

/pat on the back
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.
Play Chess,It has not only helped me in my memorization but also in the visualization of concepts like when I visualize a chess move in my mind or have to remember chess positions or openings,it's similar to visualizing a math problem and maybe even solving it in your head or remembering stuff from like History class or what ever.
Quote by madbasslover
I know it's kinda counter-intuitive, but if I write something down I completely lose the ability to remember it. The only way for me to commit something to memory is to avoid writing it anywhere so that I'm forced to internalize it. From what I gather, though, my process is pretty uncommon.

Huh, that is kinda backwards from how pretty much everyone is taught. I'll give it a shot sometime, the worst thing that can happen is I just have to keep writing stuff down.

Quote by VillainousLatin
Play Chess,It has not only helped me in my memorization but also in the visualization of concepts like when I visualize a chess move in my mind or have to remember chess positions or openings,it's similar to visualizing a math problem and maybe even solving it in your head or remembering stuff from like History class or what ever.

Kind of along these lines, try learning some programming. My memory has consistently gotten better since I've started learning, and I'm not even good at it. It's the same thing, it helps me visualize and organize things easier.

And they're both logic puzzles, which never hurts.
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Sep 19, 2011,
Quote by untalented
so improving one's memory would improve their intelligence? hence why he's asking...

You can't really improve your intelligence. You can improve your knowledge to make you smarter, but that doesn't improve your intelligence.
Quote by Avedas
You can't really improve your intelligence. You can improve your knowledge to make you smarter, but that doesn't improve your intelligence.

Uh, yes you can. Maybe not after your brain has completely developed, but while growing up your brain can and does readily form connections. (Which is intelligence as we know it.)
He probably has buffered, ECC memory at 1600MHz or higher.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
You could read a hell of a lot, but if that isn't your thing, or if you are having trouble taking it in, then you could memorize using mnemonics, for example, to remember a stave in music, it is-

food
E
deserves
C
boy
A
good
F
Every

So basically, the actual words are the notes on the line, and the single letters are the notes in between, so each one is easy to remember as its own thing.

That is one example of remembering things.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Last edited by donender at Sep 19, 2011,
L-Tyrosine
Choline
Huperzine
DMAE
Piracetam

Works well for me thus far.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1