Page 1 of 2
So I defretted my bass with the help of some of you but I put my strings on and tuned it the notes sounded dead! What the hell happened, what can i do to fix this and will it cost me a lot?
Hi, you're better than me. Have a nice day!
Did buy new strings or did you put the old ones on?
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Fretless basses like new strings.

Though some player like old strings.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Ok well i read somethin on talk bass and they said i would need like epoxy is that true?
uhh... the epoxy is usually used to fill in the slots where the frets were, but you should've done that already, no?
Umm i used like a wood filler kinda thing, not sure if relavent but its got a maple fretboard
Quote by Kilty Boxers
Ok well i read somethin on talk bass and they said i would need like epoxy is that true?

If you want to protect the fingerboard from getting damaged from the strings.

But it's not necessary for you to do that.
Do either of you have MSN for faster talking? because this is like stressing me out. If not its fine just as long as i get to the bottom of this.
no.

EDIT: How's your nut height compared to your saddle heights.
Last edited by dark Mass at Sep 19, 2011,
Alright, well maybe you should describe this deadness a little more. I mean a fretless is going to have a little bit less "punch".
Quote by dark Mass
no.

EDIT: How's your nut height compared to your saddle heights.

Um i have no clue, how do i check?

@Rick its like buzzing
hmm, are the strings touching the neck at any other place than where you are fretting. i.e. is the neck straight?
The neck appears to be straight and yes its lightly touching the next fret which is what i believe is causing the buzzing.
Quote by Kilty Boxers
The neck appears to be straight and yes its lightly touching the next fret which is what i believe is causing the buzzing.

Its a fret-less. It has no frets. It no touch next fret. LOL
Gear

Guitars: '02 Ibanez Jem 7vwh
ESP LTD Alexi 600 Yellow
Ibanez RG560CA w/ SD Invader
Carvin DC747 Vintage Yellow
Ibanez RGA 8 QM w/ Dimarzio D-Active and PAF 8
Washburn KC-70v
Bass: 1980 Aria Pro II SB Elite II
Amps: Vox VT20+
Quote by CorvetteRick
Well maybe raise the action a tad.

How?
Quote by Kilty Boxers
Um i have no clue, how do i check?

Pics can help me if you can post them.

Anyways I usually a use nut height gauge and 36" straight edge.
Quote by dark Mass
Pics can help me if you can post them.

Anyways I usually a use nut height gauge and 36" straight edge.

I dont have a camera so i cant post em. I have no idea what the rest means
Quote by Kilty Boxers
How?

shit, well what kind of bass is it?
on the saddles there should be small allen nuts(?) to which you must implement a small allen wrench/key.
Last edited by CorvetteRick at Sep 19, 2011,
Squier VM Jazz and where would i find the wrenches that ****ing small?!
In a good lot of tool kits, or most allen wrench sets you buy... so you might have to go shopping, but any hardware store will have them.
If you don't even know how to adjust saddle heights, why in the world are you de-fretting basses?!?!?! Crazy kids these days
THALL
smallest one i have is .050. What is the size I need?
Quote by housty
If you don't even know how to adjust saddle heights, why in the world are you de-fretting basses?!?!?! Crazy kids these days

Everyone else is doing it and I wanna be cool!
frak'd if I know, I always just go by trial and error, and to add extra salt to the wound; there's both metric and imperial sizes of allen bits. But on my mexi Jazz bass its the 1.5 (metric)

edit:

Quote by housty

also this.
But its ok we'll get you through it. Maybe not me, but somebody.
I've been down that road. I was on a Cynic kick for a while. It didnt turn out very well. Poor bass.
THALL
well there isnt a corresponding size (I dont believe) its one or the other, you'd have to have the metric one, but ours might not have the same size screws. But .050 is mighty small, I'm looking at one and I can't see you needing one smaller.

see this:

get that, the size you need is likely in there.
Well I do, and my god this sucks like that time i put sand in my acoustic bass. I might have to give the luthier a call and see if he can fix it up unless you guys know anything that might help.
change the strings, lower the nut, raise the saddles, or straighten the neck,
it's likely to be one of those.

Quote by Kilty Boxers
Well I do, and my god this sucks like that time i put sand in my acoustic bass. I might have to give the luthier a call and see if he can fix it up unless you guys know anything that might help.

you're that guy?

no offense, but... woof
Sorry OP but you're not particularly helpful. Take it to a guitar tech I guess.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Quote by Kilty Boxers

Whaa??? You make my brain hurt. stick to just playing for a while, meanwhile read everything you can about guitar repair and intonating. Idk how old you are but how do you not know what a straight edge or an allen wrench is yet can operate a computer?
Now i found out i have to use a router to install my new pickups, im so frustrated im gonna have a fap.
Quote by CorvetteRick
change the strings, lower the nut, raise the saddles, or straighten the neck,
it's likely to be one of those.

you're that guy?

no offense, but... woof

Yes that's me

@askrere: I know what they are.
after my fap hold on im almost done.

EDIT: Mkay im done umm. just search "URGENT HELP" its my thread so it will have my name in it.
Last edited by Kilty Boxers at Sep 19, 2011,
oh shit I remember that thread, you'd think you would have learned to stop messing with things after that happened
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Page 1 of 2