i just picked up a beautiful les paul, but the pots were junk. so while i was pulling them out i decided to put in a set of seymour duncans i have. now the problem is that the poles in the sd pups are silver/chrome, and im going to put on the gold pup covers......cause i still want it to look as gooder as it did before i took it apart. is this just a "unscrew them and put them in the sd pups you dumbass!!!!" or is there some other steps i need to do. like one at a time or something? ive never taken a pickup apart so im unfamiliar with it
if i did have all my gear in my sig, id have to change it weekly

"I tried to talk to you and you just kept playing"
"Well why didn't you pull out your boobies?"
"You were busy, I didn't think that would matter."
"Boobies always matter, always."
If your pickups were Imperial measurements then it will be as simple as taking out the old poles and putting them in the duncans. If your old pickups used metric measurements then the poles are going to be too small to fit the duncan pickup and you will need to get new poles for a place like allparts or mojotone. Be careful because both these companies sell metric and imperial parts. You have to be sure you are buying the right ones.
Not taking any online orders.
ok so thread pitch is the main concern then? im going to see if they will work!!!!

i dont see how changing the polls would alter the sound. they are screws, just different color. i was just curious if i could mess up the pickups

^although you are right that different ploles can change the tone, you are wrong about what humbucker poles are made of. The poles on a humbucker are made of steel and then have a nickel, chrome, or gold plating on them. The magnet of a humbucker is under the bobbins.

Different materials that go into the steel will change tone tone you get from the pickup. Something as small as a .02% difference in the amount of carbon in the still will make a small change in how harsh or muddy the pickup sounds but a lot of people won't be able to tell the difference. If you try swapping poles and you don't think they sound good then you can always put the original pickup poles back in so nothing is lost.

TS the thread pitch and the thickness of the pole are both factors. The M3 poles are narrower in diameter than the imperial poles used. Duncan uses imperial poles so M3's will just fall out.
Not taking any online orders.
already swapped them out. they fit just fine. im just waiting on the pots to come in so i can get her up and running

What pots do you have in mind? A push pull for coil splitting? Perhaps a no load tone pot...

Edit: And it's "poles" right? I was expecting to vote between SD and Dimarzio lol
Last edited by the9breaker2001 at Sep 24, 2011,