Hey all;

Looking to buy a mic to add to my collection. Here is what I currently have:

Rode NT1 (usually main mic for most featured instruments, esp vocals)
Sennheiser e602 - large diaphragm dynamic - great for kick, bass cabs, etc.
SM57 (x2)
SM58
Sennheiser e835 - I use this where people traditionally recommend a 57, and also on live vocals.
Behringer ECM8000 (x2) - small-diaphragm omni condensors - decent enough for drum overheads.

My goal is to get something that I don't already have, within a budget of about $400.

Considering:
Rode NT2K, Rode NT2-a - both variable pattern LD condensors. They would allow me to maybe "bump up" a bit from the NT1, but also to partner with the NT1 to provide a stereo pair for overheads, and would offer a figure-8 pattern that would allow me to try some M/S stuff.
Studio Projects CS5 - basically the same rationale as above.
Sennheiser MD421 - guitar cabs, toms, etc. - a completely different beast from anything I own currently. Perhaps more limited use, though.
Rode NT5 - pair - I don't own any medium-diaphragm condensors, and these are sold as matched pairs, which is nice. They are also more cardiod than my Behringers, as well as a measurable step up.
Rode NTK or Studio Projects T3 (used) - I don't own a tube mic at all.

Anyone with any experience with these, or any other suggestions?

Thanks!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
From that list, I'd go with either the NT5's or 421.

From my experience, the NT5's are great on acoustics (still my favorite acoustic tone I've gotten and I'm personally saving up for them) and a definite step up for drum overheads from what you have. The 421 is great on amps/toms/bass/anything really. When I had access to them, I'd always mic cabs with a 57 and 421 and blend to taste. Also, they're a larger diaphragm than 57's so they often work better for percussion. They're great to have laying around.

If you want another vocal mic (which isn't a bad idea since every singer has a different voice and if you work with other bands, it's good to have some option) I'd go with a Bluebird or 4040(or better of the 40xx line from AT)
Rode mics are surprisingly well priced, I just got a K2 recently which sounds great. I'd recommend the NT2A in a heartbeat, I've used them in the studios at uni and they sound great plus the polar pattern, pad and HPF options make it fairly versatile. If you're looking at a small or medium condenser i'd look at the NT55 instead of the NT5, it gives you more options.
I'd agree with sandyman, Chris. MD421 is a great mic (one day I intend to get three, as I love them on toms!) and would suit guitars well too.

I think I'd probably lean towards the NT5's though, based on your current set-up not having a pair of matched small/mid-diaphragm condensers (never heard them referred to as MDC's, but not sure it's too important hehe close enough). I like the NT5's as overheads and as an XY pair on acoustic guitars - don't think there's much difference between them and the NT55's to be honest, until you put the omni capsule on the 55's (but as you already own an omni pair, there's no point paying the extra unless you're unhappy with the Behringers).

Edit: And as for tube mics, I'm not a big fan of any of the cheaper ones really - get a much 'cleaner' warm sound from a tube pre, or some of the higher-end plugins that include tube simulation. However, haven't heard the NTK, and I do think the Neumann U67 sounds amazing though I'm not sure if that's down to the tube or not!
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Sep 20, 2011,
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Also looking at the M-Audio Solaris. (if I could get a pair of 'em used, eh?)

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

So....

Reconsidering another LDC altogether for the moment. My NT1 could most certainly be improved upon, but may instead look at:

SM7 (you know, if it's good enough for Michael Jackson's lead vocals on the Thriller album....) ($389 new at my local shop)

AND

either a single C2000B or a pair of SP C4's. ($299 and $399 respectively)

The neat thing about a pair of C4's is that they are, well... a pair. I could only afford to get a single C2000B.

The SM7 would give me another option for what appears to be damned near anything - kick, guitar cabs, lead vocals, toms, bass, brass, etc. This would make (at least for now... ) looking at a Sennheiser e906 or MD 421 a little redundant.

OTOH... I like the versatility that could be afforded by a figure 8 mic. (M/S, for instance)

If I got another variable pattern LDC, I could use that and the NT1 as drum overheads... and THAT would probably be something! (which would, for now, make the SDC's a little bit redundant....)

Any thoughts there?

Thanks!
CT

(my budget could be expanded upwards slightly if I had good justification...hoping to keep it around $600 before taxes, but...)

Quote by axemanchris
So....

Reconsidering another LDC altogether for the moment. My NT1 could most certainly be improved upon, but may instead look at:

SM7 (you know, if it's good enough for Michael Jackson's lead vocals on the Thriller album....) ($389 new at my local shop)

AND

either a single C2000B or a pair of SP C4's. ($299 and $399 respectively)

The neat thing about a pair of C4's is that they are, well... a pair. I could only afford to get a single C2000B.

The SM7 would give me another option for what appears to be damned near anything - kick, guitar cabs, lead vocals, toms, bass, brass, etc. This would make (at least for now... ) looking at a Sennheiser e906 or MD 421 a little redundant.

OTOH... I like the versatility that could be afforded by a figure 8 mic. (M/S, for instance)

If I got another variable pattern LDC, I could use that and the NT1 as drum overheads... and THAT would probably be something! (which would, for now, make the SDC's a little bit redundant....)

Any thoughts there?

Thanks!
CT

(my budget could be expanded upwards slightly if I had good justification...hoping to keep it around $600 before taxes, but...)

It's all down to your preference and what you wanna use the new mic for mostly, though personally I'm not too fond of using different mics as an overhead pair (assuming you mean as a stereo pair) as I feel it can lead to one side of the drum mix sounding punchier/having more presence/'better'/louder etc.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
It's all down to your preference and what you wanna use the new mic for mostly,

I'm really starting to get that impression. As I continue to research, it sounds like they're all of the "you really can't lose with this mic" calibre. It's nice to be spoiled for choice, but it makes the decision a bit difficult.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
though personally I'm not too fond of using different mics as an overhead pair (assuming you mean as a stereo pair) as I feel it can lead to one side of the drum mix sounding punchier/having more presence/'better'/louder etc.

Yes, this IS a concern, and one I had considered. They'd hardly be a "matched pair" would they?

I guess it would come down to luck as far as how the two mics would cooperate together.

.... of course, with one being a figure-8, I could do M/S on the drums, which would mean two different mics would be okay, no?

CT

Here's a few more of my thoughts.

As your collection stands, you're doing better on dynamics than condensers so I wouldn't go for an sm7 until you balance it out a bit more.
You have one LDC and one set of omni pencils. I would think that a pair of cardioid (or switchable) pencils would be a good choice now. Also, I think having more vocal mic options is very important as no mic compliments every voice perfectly. You already have a choice of dynamics that work well enough for vocal, so another good LDC would be a good addition.

Of course it comes down to your preference and where you see the weakest link in your collection.
@sandyman - so we seem to be in agreement that maybe a pair of SP C4's would be a good purchase.

Part of my rationale for the others was to have another vocal mic at my disposal - one that would outperform the NT1. So, I could, as you are suggesting go for something like the NT2a.... or the SM7 seems to fit that bill nicely too.

I guess I'm at that enviable crossroads where, no matter what I pic, I'll be getting a really decent mic. (of course, at ~$400, I should be....)

Looks like my bill is going upwards to $800 before taxes... *sigh*

CT