I've been playing for a few months and I need help with becoming better at using a pick. I always end up hitting a wrong string. Any good suggestions?
-Relax. You'll be amazed at how little tension is needed to pick. Never tense up.
- Slow down. If you're making mistakes then you're probably trying to play too fast.
- Train yourself at a slow speed to play with very small pick strokes. Make sure that you are strictly alternate picking. When you speed up after doing enough practice then you're pick strokes should still be small - meaning you don't hit other strings.
- Practice with a metronome to develop even timing. Again, don't speed up prematurely.
Originally posted by raygreendaystud
your a fag, listen to real music like green day, you moron
Really all you can do is practice more, and focus on the areas where you are having trouble. Fast practice = slow progress, and slow practice = fast progress.
Here's a little exercise , hope it helps :
pick each string in this order
4(D) , 1 (E) , 3 (G) , 1(E) , 2 (B) , 1 (E) and then go with you pick up again ( 1,2,1,3,1,4)
so the whole exercise will be : 4,1,3,1,2,1,2,1,3,1,4,1 ... ( the numbers are string numbers not fret notes ! )

play slowly , making sure you only hit the string you want to pick

after you get comfortable with this exercise , you can move to the next level , which means holding a chord while doing this exercise , for example :
hold the A chord and pick in the pattern of 4,1,3,1,2,1 and then change to D chord and pick 2,1,3,1,4,1 and so on ... ( the numbers are string numbers not fret notes ! )
PS : English is not my first language
Practice, and you get used to finding the right string. You generally become faster and more accurate and precise.
Dude, where's my band?