Just asking for thoughts, comments and an answer. So, which would be better for a home studio?

Just to add, I have a Mackie ProFx12 which is USB enabled.
Last edited by TheMetalRiffer at Sep 20, 2011,
I prefer using a multitracker. All the same functionality as a PC & interface combination without the hassle caused by it being a PC & interface combination.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Both USB and Firewire are used in high-end scenarios so both are great, but
with the inclusion of USB 3.0 firewire is effectively left in the dust in terms of speed.

So as long as the USB port your using is 2.0 or higher then I would stick with USB, firewire is great in it's own right but USB has almost guaranteed comparability and is more common.
id be pissed if I was the ThemMetalRiffer. Simple answer. Firewire is much faster than USB 2.0. and 2.0 is standard, 3.0 is very rare and will never be a standard. However firewire is going to be replaced by thunderbolt (on mac) in the future,(not extremely near future) and it is supposively very fast so I assume everyone will convert to thunderbolt.
USA Jackson RR1, Carvin Custom 7 String, Peavey 6505+, Krank Krankenstein Cabinet, Carvin Power Conditioner, Line 6 G 90 Wireless, BBE Sonic Maximizer, Full tone OCD Overdrive, ISP Decimator, Boss TU 2 Tuner
Basically what Kenova said, though none of it matters if you only want a couple of channels of audio simultaneously - in that case, USB 2.0 would be more than capable. When the number of desired inputs increases, then it becomes more important (I wouldn't trust an 8-in USB interface for latency, for example).
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
I've recorded an entire drum set (8 mics) with a Tascam USB 2.0 interface, not a single pop, crack, spike or trace of delay over the 5 days we were recording. I'm pretty sure you can record more tracks with any USB 2.0 interface that allows it.
FW is much faster, but there are some compatibility issues. It's a cleaner medium than USB but some just can't get past it.

For certain FW interfaces you must have the TI host controller
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by Kenova
id be pissed if I was the ThemMetalRiffer. Simple answer. Firewire is much faster than USB 2.0. and 2.0 is standard, 3.0 is very rare and will never be a standard. However firewire is going to be replaced by thunderbolt (on mac) in the future,(not extremely near future) and it is supposively very fast so I assume everyone will convert to thunderbolt.

all new macs come standard with it now, since may or something like that. Windows computers are planning on having it by the end of the year. It's just a matter of time before the interfaces catch up. Avid already having a few small interfaces with them.

Kind of why I'm a little timid to get a new interface now when in 6 months time that's going to be the new standard for i/o.
I think thunderbolt is a little farther away than many would like to believe.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Hmm maybe about a year 2 at most, I don't see it becoming main stream withing in next 6 months. Some will definitely show up in the PC market in that time though.