Anybody here recording using a mixing board to DAW?

I'm looking to make the transition to having a hands on mixer. I think it makes it a lot easier during the tracking process. And after finally getting to do some tracking on a real board I fell in love with the it.

I'm looking for some suggestion on mixers though. Something between 12-16 inputs, atleast 8 being xlr. Budget we'll say around $1k and under.

thanks for the help!
If you already have a good interface, why not just a DAW control?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
For my DAW I stick with a purpose built multitracker and keep my PC out of the process completely. I agree, it's far easier having a hands on mixer than fiddling around with different tracks on a PC screen.

As a hybrid style multitracker/interface, check out the Zoom R series - they make an 8, 16 and 24 track version which is purpose designed to act as a multitracker as well as hook up to a PC and control your software based DAW. Sounds like it could be just what you're looking for.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Meh, for $500, you could get a much better computer based interface. You might not be able to mix in the unit, but your pres and converters are going to be significantly better. Plus, you're not limited to a lower track count or input expansion by only daisy chaining another of the same unit to it (instead of ADAT/SPDIF), nor the amount of storage on a small SD card.

If it was me, I'd look into something more along the lines of a used Mackie 1640i, 1620i or a Digi 003 surface and an ADAT expander with a budget of $1k. Or, you could go the cheaper route and get a Saffire Pro 40 with a Mackie HUI for DAW control and expand it with ADAT if you need more inputs. Any of those setups would be absolutely killer.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
As far as I'm concerned, if you're going the computer recording route, there is next-to-no point in having an entry/mid-level analogue mixer in your setup.

1) They can only be used going in to the DAW, and print their impact on the signal chain permanently. To use them as outboard would be pointless, but feel free to add a loop back round through send/returns... no real gain to this though.

2) Can't be used to control the DAW or any of its features, so a bit redundant as far as mixing goes. Will also slow down, rather than speed up, the workflow as you are aware of not being able to make any mistakes with the mix or you'll have to go back to square one from a backup session and recall all the settings.

3) For one with decent preamps you're looking at a considerable amount more than a similarly-spec'd audio interface, and you'd also have to factor in buying the A/D converters which don't come cheap when in stand-alone units.

4) Takes up a lot more space, typically, than an audio interface + control surface/mixing in-the-box.

5) Limited future support/resale value on many of the models, unless they're targeted at the live sound market which is still dominated by analogue mixers.

I would advise that the best choice, with a budget that would have got a reasonable analogue console, would be to buy a nice interface or two (depending on how many channels you need, and if you want to daisy chain interfaces via ADAT or similar) and track straight to your DAW of choice; then get a control surface and use that for the 'hands-on' mixing aspect.

Control surfaces are far from cheap (considering they are just computers with a different user interface, and do a lot less than most computers) but allow the best flexibility as they are fully-compatible with DAWs so changes made with them are reversible, and many come with motorised faders and other recall functions, so you don't have to worry about resetting them to a project's outboard settings if you go back to a mix.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.