Ok decided to go through Craigslist and came upon this.

Person says its a Teisco but the pictures I found on google show this model with a black headstock. They're selling it for $35 so I'm not really sure if it's legit. HELP ME UG, YOU'RE MY ONLY HOPE!
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
These are very cheap. I recently bought that exact one for 25 bucks(it WAS a family friend but...) so it could be legit. You should definitely try to contact the person first though. On to the guitar itself, the headstock is the right color(same as mine anyways) and it appears to have the Teisco emblem, which is what you should look for. If you have any questions about the playability and tone fell free to ask I'll fill you in as best as I can.
Quote by suicidalpoptart
These are very cheap. I recently bought that exact one for 25 bucks(it WAS a family friend but...) so it could be legit. You should definitely try to contact the person first though. On to the guitar itself, the headstock is the right color(same as mine anyways) and it appears to have the Teisco emblem, which is what you should look for. If you have any questions about the playability and tone fell free to ask I'll fill you in as best as I can.

Fire away. Does the guitar live up to the hype?
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
The action is pretty low and can be played relatively easy, but I'm not a huge of the tone. It's almost impossible to get a truly clean tone out of it and the leads are a little fuzzy, but you can get some really good distortion out of it. I suppose it's just a matter of personal preference. The trem is pretty good, I used it quite a bit for about an hour or so and it was still mostly in tune. On top of all that, it's just a cool guitar to have.
My first guitar was a Teisco (sold under the Silvertone label), I would like to be able say that I look back on it with fond memories but nothing could be further from the truth. My particular guitar,even with the bridge adjusted to it's lowest, had a painfully high action. The clean tones had too much bite and at high gain sounded like a sack full of angry cats.

If your looking at this guitar as a player then be advised that it offers little in the way of tone options although they would work as an excellent guitar for slide work, giving a nasty delta blues tone.

If you want a piece of guitar history well for a few bucks you can't go wrong.
Honestly that thing looks ugly as shit, it's your money, but looks like a waste of 35 dollars to me.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
dude no one makes a fake teisco why would you. they are fun but often hard to play and have microphonic pups. i had a couple ofthem back inthe early days of my playing (late 70s). they can be used for a slide guitar pretty easy.
Quote by Tango616
Honestly that thing looks ugly as shit, it's your money, but looks like a waste of 35 dollars to me.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and lots of players care more about the tone and playability of guitar than it's looks. If it had the tone of an 59 LP, the comfort of a SG and neck feel of a PRS custom 24 I would lay down 10 times the price and call it a work of art.

A waste of $35 dollars? Maybe not. If a person is willing to hold on to it for 10 to 20 years there is a good chance that these will eventually become a collectable provided it is in a good and playable condition. The problem will the Teiscos were that some of them were barely playable out of the box, and compounding that, some were made with no truss rods and many of those that even had a truss had warping issues.

But yeah, they always looked fugly to me too.
Quote by NewsoftheWorld
Ok decided to go through Craigslist and came upon this.

Person says its a Teisco but the pictures I found on google show this model with a black headstock. They're selling it for $35 so I'm not really sure if it's legit. HELP ME UG, YOU'RE MY ONLY HOPE!

Afters taking a second look at the picture I have serious doubts about the neck being original, in fact because of the wood color of the headstock (it should be a lot darker for it's age) I would stay away from this one. It appears someone tried putting a new neck on it, found out it didn't quite work they way they wanted to and are now trying to recoup some of their loss.
I will be trying it out if, of course. I am in need of a guitar since my Strat is neckless anyways. It'll be nice to just have something to play with.

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
Everything looks alright with the guitar, everything about the headstock looks like a legit Teisco/Silvertone. The general shape, tunings knobs, tension bar, it's even got the zero fret like Teisco used. I thought at first those pickups were DeArmond's (sought-after collectible pickups that fetch about $100 a piece) but they're just the regular ones.

That trem arm is probably one of the most valuable pieces on the whole thing honestly. Almost every tremolo-equipped Teisco/Silvertone/Harmony/etc guitar around today doesn't have it anymore, including the 2 Silvertones that I own.

Very few of their models bring any serious cash, usually around $60-100. So this one is priced a little low, but it's also butt ugly even for a Teisco. It could have ridiculous action, need fretwork (like a lot of 'em need), or it just could be a family selling "that guitar in the basement." I'd say go down and check it out, see what you think, and maybe pull the trigger. It's gonna be your guitar, see if it's right to you.

EDIT: The tremolo design is pretty interesting. Think of it like a hinge with the bottom of it bolted to the guitar. The strings attach to the top half of the hinge inside the thing near the end of the guitar, a little past the actual pivot point. The tremolo arm then sits at the open end and gets extra leverage from the distance between it and the strings. And there's a spring that sits under the tremolo arm (like a Bigsby) that provides the tension against the strings. Restringing these is kinda a pain though, you have to push down on the bar to get a string in/out of the tremolo. Otherwise the "hinge" is closed at the end where the strings go through..
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Sep 20, 2011,
$35 is pocket change man, go for it. worst case scenario the action is too high for normal playing and you've got a beautiful slide guitar
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Quote by Flux'D
Everything looks alright with the guitar, everything about the headstock looks like a legit Teisco/Silvertone. The general shape, tunings knobs, tension bar, it's even got the zero fret like Teisco used. I thought at first those pickups were DeArmond's (sought-after collectible pickups that fetch about $100 a piece) but they're just the regular ones.

That trem arm is probably one of the most valuable pieces on the whole thing honestly. Almost every tremolo-equipped Teisco/Silvertone/Harmony/etc guitar around today doesn't have it anymore, including the 2 Silvertones that I own.

Very few of their models bring any serious cash, usually around $60-100. So this one is priced a little low, but it's also butt ugly even for a Teisco. It could have ridiculous action, need fretwork (like a lot of 'em need), or it just could be a family selling "that guitar in the basement." I'd say go down and check it out, see what you think, and maybe pull the trigger. It's gonna be your guitar, see if it's right to you.

EDIT: The tremolo design is pretty interesting. Think of it like a hinge with the bottom of it bolted to the guitar. The strings attach to the top half of the hinge inside the thing near the end of the guitar, a little past the actual pivot point. The tremolo arm then sits at the open end and gets extra leverage from the distance between it and the strings. And there's a spring that sits under the tremolo arm (like a Bigsby) that provides the tension against the strings. Restringing these is kinda a pain though, you have to push down on the bar to get a string in/out of the tremolo. Otherwise the "hinge" is closed at the end where the strings go through..

Good eye catching the zero fret, obviously these pictiures aren't the best and I have failing eyesight but if I stare hard enough at it I can just make it out. I don't collect Teiscos but I do run into them once in awhile, judging by what I can see in the pictures, this one appears to be in good condition.

The one feature I liked on mine was the trem, built like tank.
Quote by NewsoftheWorld
I will be trying it out if, of course. I am in need of a guitar since my Strat is neckless anyways. It'll be nice to just have something to play with.

Good luck, hope it works well for you. Please post back again after you try it even if you decide not to buy it, i'm interested to hear your thoughts on it.
For $35, this guitar is definitely great. It actually turned out to be this guitar not the one in the picture I posted.

I liked the darker sound it has when clean in comparison to my Strat. I do have to wonder if it just may be because of how old the strings are. Action is a little low but playable. The bridge pickup doesnt work though so I'm not sure how that sounds. I'm going to have to check out the wiring at some point but it's nice to be playing a guitar again.

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
That thing is pretty sweet, I'd love to have one
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by Butt Rayge
That thing is ugly as sin.

Looks better than any ESP i've ever seen.

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by Final
The one in the first picture is exactly what my very first guitar was, haha, I guess I still have it, though I rarely ever play it. I do enjoy how it sounds, and I will never part with it as it was my first.

that must be an amazing guitar.
Quote by NewsoftheWorld

I know you have your opinion................but jesus....SERIOUSLY?
ಠ_ಠ

Seriously.

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
ESPs are butt ugly and sound bad. OP's guitar is a work of art.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Quote by NewsoftheWorld

I don't see the relevance... I don't like ESP either.

You one actually looks cool though. The one in your first post is ugly.
Quote by NewsoftheWorld
Seriously.

So now that one fugly guitar now counts as "any ESP you've ever seen?"
ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Tango616
So now that one fugly guitar now counts as "any ESP you've ever seen?"

I didn't want to put so much ugly on one site.

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb