Hey guys, my volume makes a strange static/crackle noise as i turn it up/down on my bass. Guitar does it too, but I leave that on full wack. Any ideas? It has gotten a bit worse.

Also. Yesterday, plugging the Battery (a new one, because I put the old one down somewhere and couldnt find it...), I smelt a distinct smell of burning/smoking electronics as I was hooking it up and shat myself. I unhooked the battry straight away. When i tried it again it was ok, nothing was unusual...

Anyway, any info would be sweet.

note- the volume static/crackle has been around before the smoking battery incident.
Quote by thunderbritches
I would still call him a regular musician...just a very irregular person lol

Warwick Pro Series Corvette
Hartke HA 3500
Genz Benz LS410
i'm actually getting that volume crack too,
it stops after i've turned it up to a certain loud volume though which is annoying
cause i'm either playing at really low tones and then it jumps a few volumes when it goes loud.
is it like that?
It's a dirty pot. Spray the insides of it with electrical contact cleaner - often this will do the trick. If not, the pot will need to be replaced.
Quote by guy_tebache
sounds like a dirty pot. Needs rewiring or possibly replacement.

really??? ive only had this thing for a few months!!! Are 'pots' expensive? i have no idea what they are exactly.
Quote by thunderbritches
I would still call him a regular musician...just a very irregular person lol

Warwick Pro Series Corvette
Hartke HA 3500
Genz Benz LS410
^Pots aren't expensive.. Just a little bit of dust can ruin the whole pot.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Ya I aways get this, bout once a year a change my pots out completely, sometimes even get all new wiring if my guitar is being loud, all told its only like 35 bucks to have someone do it, if that
A new potentiometer costs about $5 and is easy to wire in yourself if you have a soldering gun. They can go bad very quickly on cheaper guitars. I bought a cheap Schecter to teach lessons with and the pot went bad in one month.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
Seriously, try cleaning the pot first... everyone else has suggested replacing it altogether. That would work of course, but If you don't know what you're doing and don't have the tools you'll end up having to take it in to the shop. Electrical contact cleaner is about the price of a pot (£5) and could solve your problem without any rewiring needed.