can anyone recommend a good 'amp like' overdrive pedal for recording please? I already have a Marshall guvnor, an old 80's Aria distortion, a Boss Metal Zone and a JHS fuzz box. None of them really give a decent amp like overdrive sound. Thanks in advance.
digitech screamin' blues is a nice £50ish pedal for overdrive.

alternatively couldn't you record clean and add OD in the editing phase?
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
depends on what kind of amp like are you going for. Hiwatt? cranked fender? marshall? vox? orange?

you can get an ibanez ts7 for cheap and mod it with 2 dollars worth of parts to get it to sound as good as an 808.
if you want to emulate amplifiers overdrive catalinbread have great stuff, check out the DLS
Tech21 Sansamp GT2? I think it's pretty good but not probably a budget pedal though..
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

a mate of mine cranks his mBox 2 preamp gain for guitar fuzz. It sounds surprisingly not shit. Not really answering the question, just thought I'd share.
Tech 21 Sansamp.
Quote by durhamdynamo
I like my coffee like I like my women.

Covered in bees!
I just want something like an overdriven Marshall sound. Plenty of bite for rhythm, and a bit of sustain for lead. I have a Marshall but space is a serious issue, hence the question. I'd love something like the sans amp, but my wallet cries its eyes out everytime I think about it! lol
Whoa.... You aren't likely to get a great tone recording from a pedal because you are bypassing the guitar speaker, which has a major effect on tone. The solution is speaker compensation. A pedal like the Bad Monkey has an output labeled "Mixer" specifically for that purpose. It will give you what you are asking for.

There are other pedals that have a mixer out. If you want a pedal that doesn't have a mixer out you can still use it if you use a pedla with a mixer out as the last pedal of the chain. Or you can get a DI box with speaker compensation/cabinet modeling like the Behringer Ultra-G and use it after your pedal chain.
Quote by fly135
Whoa.... You aren't likely to get a great tone recording from a pedal because you are bypassing the guitar speaker, which has a major effect on tone. The solution is speaker compensation. A pedal like the Bad Monkey has an output labeled "Mixer" specifically for that purpose. It will give you what you are asking for.

There are other pedals that have a mixer out. If you want a pedal that doesn't have a mixer out you can still use it if you use a pedla with a mixer out as the last pedal of the chain. Or you can get a DI box with speaker compensation/cabinet modeling like the Behringer Ultra-G and use it after your pedal chain.

I never knew there were pedals with a 'mixer out' thats interesting, thanks for that. I'll check out your recommendations!