Hey guys.. I was just wondering what is the best program for making quality backing tracks?
Pretty much any quality DAW...the same as recording anything else.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
Pretty much any quality DAW...the same as recording anything else.

What he said ^^
You're basically looking at setting up a home recording studio.

The first choice is whether to use software or a purpose built multitracker as your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation).

Software provides the advantage of unlimited tracks, but you need to have a pretty high spec computer to fully take advantage (preferably a desktop) and you'll need to buy a USB interface to connect to your PC for recording. Once you've got all the equipment, you need to decide on software. There are loads of choices and loads of thread discussing them.

A multitracker has everything you need in a single package, but obviously if you buy an 8 track you're limited to 8 tracks (although you can work around this using vitual tracks & bouncing). Also as you're taking your first steps into recording, they can be purchased used at sites like eBay to keep your costs down.

Assuming you're going to be creating these tracks alone, you'll also need to have some kind of drum programming capability. This boils down to a similar choice - a drum machine or a software simulation of one. Lots of multitrackers these days have a built in drum machine so they really are an all-in-one solution.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I am also looking to build my home studio... I have a few questions for garybillington...

If i am making my drum beats from a program on my computer, would I be better off getting software for recording? And IF I do, what should I use to record onto my computer with to get the best quality?
If you're doing drums on your PC, you might as well use your PC for the rest of it as well, so long as it has the processing power & a good enough soundcard to provide the quality you'll need.

Like I said, you'll need a software recording package - Reaper & Audacity are free, although Audacity isn't very highly rated and there are loads of other choices which you can purchase.

You'll also need a decent interface - using the mic input on your PC will not produce good results. You'll need to ask other people for more detailed advice if you want to go that route though, I prefer using a multitracker so only have limited knowledge of PC based recording.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Sep 20, 2011,
What do you mean by "Interface"? IS this what connects the guitar to the USB slot?

At the moment I am plugging my Guitar into my RP150 guitar pedal, and that plugs straight into my USB slot on my pc and I record onto reaper...

is that an interface? I need something that I plug my microphone into.
Like I said, PC recording isn't my area of expertise as I prefer multitrackers - search google for something along the line of "USB recording interface" and I expect you'll see results showing the sort of thing you need.

Other than that, just wait a while and more people will post on here telling you which you should get. Be patient and you'll get the answer you need
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud