I made some good trades over the past few weeks trading my Bugera amp and Boss ME-70 for a Boss GT-10, an Epiphone Dot Studio, and an Ibanez JS20.

After testing all of the equipment I fell in love with the Jackson JS20. I know it is a cheaper guitar, but I was switching between my Strat and the Jackson and loved the way it felt, the action, and the sound. It has a Jeff Beck p/u in the bridge and stock pups in the other positions.

I want to take this to practice to see how it will hold up. It seems bad that I am kind of ashamed to love a cheaper guitar.

Anyone else feel this way about a guitar?

Sorry, meant Jackson, not Ibanez.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Last edited by Rio38 at Sep 20, 2011,
Several of my guitars were cheap, but I think they're great. So long as you don't get anything too cheap there are lots of bargains out there which give a lot more than you'd get for an equivalent amount of money from the big name manufacturers.

EDIT - "Equivalent amount of money from the big name manufacturers"???? WTF was I talking about - I meant you get more for less, not more for the same amount!!!!
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Sep 20, 2011,
The only person a guitar really matters to is you. If you like your guitar then whatever anyone else thinks is irrelivant.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
yeah, I love my Ibanez RG 160 and its cheap as hell. I believe that it's pushing $200..hah..hell, you can even find it any where.
If you like it you like it. But saying that I used to love my old Yamaha RBX bass... then played a better bass for long periods of time and realised how crap it was...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
If you like it you like it. But saying that I used to love my old Yamaha RBX bass... then played a better bass for long periods of time and realised how crap it was...

I know. I have better guitars than the Ibanez, but just fell in love with teh feel and sound of it for some reason. Plus I won't care if it gets damaged in any way.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
The "cheaper" priced of my 2 guitars is the one i use most of the time for gigs and practice
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
I like my squier affinity and it's like $160 new.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
How much did you pay for an Ibanez JS20?!
You mean this one right?

Because that guitar sure isn't cheap!
Quote by kutless999
I like my squier affinity and it's like $160 new.

Me too, my affinity gets plenty of playing time.
Quote by The Late Great Colonel Sanders
I'm too drunk, to taste this chicken.
Quote by Rio38
It has a Jeff Beck p/u in the bridge and stock pups in the other positions.

Do you mean a Seymour Duncan JB? Cause that's Jazz & Blues, not Jeff Beck, contrary to popular belief

It's not "wrong" in any way to love a cheap guitar.
I have a Highland jazzbox (classified as a semi-hollow tho) that ran me $220. I just got a new Dillion semi. That jazzbox feels like a woman sitting on my leg... slightly awkward, but comfortable nonetheless. The Dillion... it's like feeding a baby on my lap. I have to crouch down... also awkward, but slightly comfortable. Both, I would say, are cheap guitars. And they both belong on my leg... just not both at once.
I have been collecting guitars most of my life, mostly Fenders and Gibsons, some of them look they been thru a war zone, some are mint, but most are somewhere inbetween. I gig once a week and mostly use a $110 Stagg strat copy.

I wanted to have something that I could keep in the trunk of my car (carrying gear in and out gets old very quick) and not have worry too much about being stolen.

The only mods have done to it is replace the nut with a bone one and swap out the pick ups with some duncan customs. Some of my other strats play easier but none have a sweeter tone.
No dude, I love my Squier Bullet strat a ton. I replaced the pickup with a GFS Crunchy Rail, and I'm currently replacing all the hardware with new black stuff. Ad I love that guitar. I've got a friend with a Jem, and 6 other Ibanez prestiges, and I'd much rather play my little Squier Bullet Any day.

Which I got for free I might add (:
Austin Les Paul
Alvarez Acoustic

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100
Peavey 5150 2x12 60watt combo
Orange Micro Terror
Jet City Made in USA 2x12
Both my guitars I guess I'd consider in the cheap range. I paid $400 for each of them. Both the X-50 and RG560 are both great guitars. Can't find them anymore. Not left handed anyway. My only issue with taking them to a show is them being stolen since I couldn't replace them. I like both of those guitars. My next guitar purchase is likely only going to be $400 too.

I've gigged with a lot of expensive guitars myself in the past. I'm always careful, but things happen. Personally, I don't care about that kind of stuff. I'm not the kind of guy who buys a guitar to keep it looking nice. Even when I get another Gibson and Fender, they'll see action right along side my cheaper guitars.
Quote by 100Roy001
How much did you pay for an Ibanez JS20?!
You mean this one right?

Because that guitar sure isn't cheap!

No, this one. I accidentally put Ibanez instead of Jackson in the original post.

Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Last edited by Rio38 at Sep 20, 2011,
nothing wrong with loving cheap guitars. sometimes an expensive guitar just doesn't sound right for a certain type of sound.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I have some $1200+ guitars and several one of a kind customs that I'm not even willing to put a price on but one of my favorite guitars is a Synsonics travel guitar that I got for $50.

Tone is in the fingers (or amp, depending on who you ask) and feel is in the setup.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
I agree. This guitar is setup well and feels as solid as a tank in my opinion. I'm going to take it to practice and see what it can do tonight.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
I play several cheap guitars that are awesome. I have a $300 Epi G-400, Squier Pro Tone Fat Tele that are great guitars and I like better than most Gibson SG's and Fender Tele's. Are they better than my PRS, no not at all. But they cost $1500+ less than it did also.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by CJ Noble
Tone is in the fingers (or amp, depending on who you ask) and feel is in the setup.

not this again

tone is neither in the fingers nor entirely in the amp.

technique is in the fingers and you need good technique to get a solid tone out of the instrument to begin with but a cheap guitar still sounds like a cheap guitar no matter who is playing it. it sounds like a cheap guitar played well and sometimes that can work very well though. an example of what i'm referring to would be this kid with a squier bullet strat who i saw at an open mic, he was a great player, he made that thin, brittle, twanky thing with no sustain sound like that was just how it was meant to sound.

technique aside, tone is the sum of all that contributes to it. the guitar, the amp, and anything you put between them all contribute as much to the overall tone as you want it to, that's part of the beauty of the electric guitar, the amount of control you have over the tone and what goes into it, and there is no right or wrong way of doing it

but i will fully agree that how well the guitar plays is most definitely related to the setup. any guitar can be made to play perfectly, some just take a lot more work than others. of course, a perfect setup is as subjective as tone.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
In a word, no.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
I have a beginner pack strat guitar that I love. It just feels great to play and I have no idea why. But it sounds like rubbish
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
No. If you like it, thats alll that matters no matter how much you pay.

You really should not have to go to guitar forums for reassurance on this.
I've been playing the same guitar since I started playing.
It's a Ibanez Rx60 I got for free. I've sat it side by side with a premium (don't remember what model)and they were very close in build quality. I've modded mine a lot of course

How is that Gt-10 treating you?
Let me know if you need some help with it!
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
I have a VGS Screech Select. It retails for about 300$ and it beats the hell out of my Ibanez S670 under high-gain conditions.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
There are a lot of factors to consider.

For example, it being a cheap guitar may have nothing at all to do with why you love it. It could have a neck you love. In which case even though it's a crappy guitar, you'll prefer it because that neck shape fits your hand best.

It could be body contouring. It could be the setup it happens to have. Most likely, it could be a combination of all those things.

The only way to know for sure is if you try some high end Jacksons and see if you love your JS more than those.

I don't think you will. A lot of people think they love cheap guitars, when really they just like the feel of those guitars more than the feel of their expensive guitars.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have a few cheap guitars that I would never, in a million years part with. Namely my Kramer Striker 100ST, yes I'm in love with a guitar with plywood body.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
@CoolStoryAngus: I wasn't looking for reassurance. I just wanted to see if anyone had the same experience.

Anyway, I used it at practice last night and it sounded and felt great. I think I am going to work it into my main rotation.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
I used to think my JS30 was awsome until I bought my JDR. Now I know how a Jackson should feel. Usually if you like a cheap instrument you'll adore the higher end, better built versions even more.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by Rio38
@CoolStoryAngus: I wasn't looking for reassurance. I just wanted to see if anyone had the same experience.

Anyway, I used it at practice last night and it sounded and felt great. I think I am going to work it into my main rotation.

Glad it worked out for you. There will always be people telling you that you would enjoy a more costly guitar more or that an expensive guitar is going to sound better but that isn't necessarily so. Try lots of guitars and find the ones that feel sound the best to you and don't worry about what other people think about it. It's the player, not the guitar.

I'll leave you with two vidio examples to make my point. I'm not sure if it's allowed on this site to mention by name or link so - go to the very popular well known post your own vidio site and type in [ Epiphone les paul blues ] by dennis dullea and then after you listen to that try [cheap guitar blues] by riff guy.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Last edited by BlackbirdPie at Sep 21, 2011,
I have more expensive guitars so I know what they feel like and have options to use more expensive guitars. All I wanted to say was that it is great to sometimes find pleasure in a guitar that isn't considered high-end.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
i have a cheap Cort HSS Strat copy i got for like $80. Oddly enough, it's my main guitar for an indie type band i play with. The trem stays in tune pretty well but the electronics are mostly shot, but i love how it sounds when i throw certain effects like fuzz on it. It's an interesting texture i havent gotten out of other guitars. It was also the guitar i learned on. Wouldn't trade it for anything
Quote by Rio38
I have more expensive guitars so I know what they feel like and have options to use more expensive guitars. All I wanted to say was that it is great to sometimes find pleasure in a guitar that isn't considered high-end.

My sincere apolgies, I didn't bother reading you signature, I'm sure my post would sound very condesending to you then.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Quote by BlackbirdPie
My sincere apolgies, I didn't bother reading you signature, I'm sure my post would sound very condesending to you then.

I just didn't want to come off the wrong way. I didn't mean anything by it Blackbird.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
i have an RG1570, but i always return to the trusty RG7321
Os Abysmi Vel Daath