View poll results: What sould I do about this
Cough up the extra $100 and get it PLEKed
4 33%
just get it done the normal way
5 42%
Leave it its not worth it
3 25%
Voters: 12.
Well anyways, I have Fender Mexican strat right now as my only electric. (sad isn't it) But anyway, my dad says that I can't buy another guitar untill 1. I move out 2. or to sell the guitar I have and use that money to buy another. Moving on, my guitar really could use for the frets to to be done (levaling, crowning ect.) and it needs and new nut as well, yes I have the dreaded strat pinging. The cost of getting my guitar PLEKed would cost me $225 (in US money) plus strings So should it be PLEKed or done the old fasioned way.

THIS IS THE SHORT VERSION HERE

I can't buy another guitar and my guitar needs work done to it so should it be PLEKed or done the old fasioned way.
Quote by bluestratplayer
Im going to initial the back of every MG in guitarcenter "ZW" and see how many threads come out thinking Zakk Wylde owned thier amp.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Just me and rhino will end in the extinction of a species.
if you took the $225 and sold your current axe i'm thinking you could get a better guitar or at least another MIM strat in way better shape. when you say the fender plink that sound like a nut issue not frets. what exactly is wrong with thefrets?
I've heard nothing but good things about PLEK, in fact I plan on PLEKing my Steinberger bass. If you like the sound of your strat, I say go for it. The feel is one of the most important aspect of any guitar, and allegedly, a PLEKing will improve it significantly.
REGGIE
Quote by monwobobbo
if you took the $225 and sold your current axe i'm thinking you could get a better guitar or at least another MIM strat in way better shape. when you say the fender plink that sound like a nut issue not frets. what exactly is wrong with thefrets?

I believe I did say it was a problem with the nut, anyway I get quite a lot of fret buzz diffferent places because the frets are worn down ( and yes i have adjusted the neck )
Quote by bluestratplayer
Im going to initial the back of every MG in guitarcenter "ZW" and see how many threads come out thinking Zakk Wylde owned thier amp.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
I had my MIM Strat Plek'd, and it came out beautifully. I recommend it, as long as the rest of the guitar is solid.
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II, Seymour Duncan Jazz and '59.
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Mesa 5:50 Express
Egnator Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18
Quote by rhino1957
I believe I did say it was a problem with the nut, anyway I get quite a lot of fret buzz diffferent places because the frets are worn down ( and yes i have adjusted the neck )

don' take this wrong but maybe a pro should adjust the neck and a grind and polish may be all that is needed. costs way less than what you are talking.
Waste of money on cheap guitar. Just find a local Luthier to fix the nut and level the frets for less than $100.
Is Plecking refinishing the neck with some sort of CNC router?? Can you not just replace the fret wire or get then all grinded to the same level?

Forgive my thread jumping and ignorance my strat is in the same condition, bought a new guitar but still want use the strat and fix it up
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
06 Fender Mex Strat - SDJb Jr, duckbucker, lil 59
Floor
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
Quote by gerrywm
Is Plecking refinishing the neck with some sort of CNC router?? Can you not just replace the fret wire or get then all grinded to the same level?

Forgive my thread jumping and ignorance my strat is in the same condition, bought a new guitar but still want use the strat and fix it up

PLEK is basically getting your frets all levaled precisely up to 1-1000 of a millimiter. it supposed to be the best setup you can get

Quote by W4RP1G
Waste of money on cheap guitar. Just find a local Luthier to fix the nut and level the frets for less than $100.

thats kinda what im thinking but im thinking it would cost me atleast $150 for a levaling a crowning a new nut and a good setup
Quote by bluestratplayer
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Quote by rhino1957
PLEK is basically getting your frets all levaled precisely up to 1-1000 of a millimiter. it supposed to be the best setup you can get

thats kinda what im thinking but im thinking it would cost me atleast $150 for a levaling a crowning a new nut and a good setup

You should call around and get some quotes. If you tell them you only have $100, they may do it. I mean, $100 for about 2 hours of work is pretty damn good.

How much would it cost to get the pleking, new nut, and setup?
Quote by W4RP1G
You should call around and get some quotes. If you tell them you only have $100, they may do it. I mean, $100 for about 2 hours of work is pretty damn good.

How much would it cost to get the pleking, new nut, and setup?

well i called about the only place around that can handle stuff of this magnatuide (guitar world) and the the guy was rude and would give me a quote over the phone, the only other shops that arent really tiny and band orenited is florys music and guitar center
Quote by bluestratplayer
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Just seems like a waste of money. This is a drop in replacement nut. It doesn't require any shaping or work, except perhaps widening the slots for a heavy string gauge.

I put one in MIM strat, it's a solid upgrade. You may actually be able to get one locally and not pay for shipping. I'd put one on before the pleking, get a new pack of the strings you want, and have them set it up right after they plek it.
If your neck needs that much attention to be comfortable, why not just buy a used one from eBay? I mean, that's why the Strat had a bolt-on neck in the first place.. Dropping $200+ into a guitar that has a max resell of $325 (in mint condition on a good day) doesn't seem very feasible when you could buy a $100 replacement neck and call it good.

Are you positive your guitar needs work of that caliber? You'd be really surprised what an allen wrench and a good eye can do for a "crappy neck" . What frets are you having problems with? What strings are giving you the problems?
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
So you can actually sent it off later to be PLEK'd? I assumed it was something of a manufacturer only thing. How do you get your guitar PLEK'd anyway?
i'm 100% in agreement with W4RP1G and monwobobbo on this.

solid advice, take it and save some money.
Quote by gregs1020
i'm 100% in agreement with W4RP1G and monwobobbo on this.

solid advice, take it and save some money.

yeah i think I'm going to

Quote by monwobobbo
don' take this wrong but maybe a pro should adjust the neck and a grind and polish may be all that is needed. costs way less than what you are talking.

Sorry i missed your comment
I agree with you it really should be set up properly, to be honest the crowning really dosent need to be done on it I think levaling, polish and a set up and new nut perhaps. Should be all it needs im was just wondering if i should go the extra mile. oh and the guitar doesnt need a new neck the things pretty nice actually it just needs work
Quote by bluestratplayer
Quote by Tanglewoodguit