Writing a cover letter to apply for a job. The person who posted the job has their full name listed, so I'd like to address it to her personally. However, I'm not sure whether she's a Miss Ms or Mrs. Do I just address the letter "Dear Hiring Manager"?
R.I.P. PAUL GILBERT

You will be missed...
I've heard that's a very bad way to start a cover letter :P
R.I.P. PAUL GILBERT

You will be missed...
"Yo, hiring bitches, read this"

When they read it, they'll think you have character, which is something employers look out for.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
To whom it may concern is good, but wont cut it if the person has listed there name, especially for a cover letter. Your cover letter is how you have to sell yourself as an employee think of it as your first impression, so it better be a damn good one. Personally I would address the letter

Attention: "Person's Name", "Hiring Manager" of "Business"

Of course do not put the quotations in when you fill it out. And remember to sell yourself good, and dont forget almost EVERYONE lies a little on there resume and crap, not blatant out right lies like you found the cure to cancer, but just stretching the truth a bit. Good Luck!
Ms. ______ is generally the standard for addressing women in business, regardless of marital status.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
yeah, just got with Ms. You're fine that way. That's how we always address emails to people here and I work for the gov't.
"Greetings, earthling".

I wouldn't go with "to whom it may concern" because it seems like you're just throwing the letter out there. Just say Ms. instead.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Cool beans. Thanks guys. I think I'll go with Kensai's earthling idea.
R.I.P. PAUL GILBERT

You will be missed...
If the person listed their name, put their name.

Your addressing should be

Name
Title
Company
Address

or

Company
ATTN: Name and Title
Address

The salutation should be:

Dear Mr./Ms. ______:

Putting the salutation "To whom it may concern" is a great way to be ignored completely because it means you either ignored their listing or couldn't be bothered to look up the company and see what the HR department is or the title of the person its run by.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Sep 20, 2011,
Greetings Earthling

I have applied for your open position of Human Cerebral Harvester on your distant planet called Earth. If you do not hire me for this open position I will come enslave all of humanity with my plasma based weapons and superior technology.

Sincerely,

That Guy!
Quote by Kensai
"Greetings, puny earthling".

I wouldn't go with "to whom it may concern" because it seems like you're just throwing the letter out there. Just say Ms. instead.

Fixed

Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
This has happened to me before and I just called the office where I was sending the letter and asked whoever answered the phone whether the person was male or female. They don't care and they won't ask you your name. Either that or look up the name in facebook or linkedin and maybe there'll be a photo of the person there.

DO NOT just go with Ms. if you don't know.
Last edited by Spud Spudly at Sep 20, 2011,
Quote by Spud Spudly
This has happened to me before and I just called the office where I was sending the letter and asked whoever answered the phone whether the person was male or female. They don't care and they won't ask you your name. Either that or look up the name in facebook or linkedin and maybe there'll be a photo of the person there.

Why do you say this?

An unmarried woman is undoubtedly going to be offended if you put Mrs., likewise a married woman would be offended if you put Miss. The vast majority of women feel that their marital status is nobody's business and choose to go by Ms. anyway, so I would overwhelmingly suggest that this is the safe option.
Quote by Spud Spudly

Ms. is what you put if you don't know. Mrs. or Miss are much more particular and should only be used if you do know, or at least that's what's logical.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.