I'm looking at getting a new guitar and have found a reasonably priced Gibson USA Flying V, the only query i have, as someone who has never even picked up a Flying V of any brand is, Is it any different to play from a guitar with a more conventional shape?
Last edited by TheBarom at Sep 20, 2011,
Nope its a nice guitar to play, my buddy owns the Gibson worn cherry V and I always enjoy jamming on it, and I am an explorer owner myself so pretty varied shapes. Sitting down it can take a little bit to get used to it, but its the same with my explorer, the one thing I really like with the V for added stage effect you can place the V part on your knee getting the neck straight up and down for that extra rock feel. If its in the budget and you like it I would definitely say purchase it, lots of people knock Gibson for there price but they are certainly worth it.
I love them. They are nice to play if you don't mind holding it between your legs. I screwed up, I could have got one from a local pawn shop mint for $600 or less and I didn't do it
Yeah sweet cheers man. its around £350 so i thought that it was a deal i couldnt really turn down until i considered the shape of it ahah
Remember a well used guitar even though it may be beaten up always tells a better story by looking at it then a new guitar. I wish I could have gotten a used Explorer with some wear to it but I couldn't be bothered to search around!
Get it, it's a guitar that will only get better if you keep it right. I have a Gibson myself, Gibson LP studio and I would say that I would have gone for a Flying V if I hadn't liked the LP shape and tone more.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

one of the most underrated and underplayed gibsons of all time.

a lot of people are put off by the shape.

i find that they are quite comfortable to play sitting down, in more of a classical guitar position.

for the money they go for used, they are a great value imo.

good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I think they are ugly, but they are amazingly comfortable to play standing up. They sound great also. If you like the shape I say go for it they are really nice.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I think they are ugly, but they are amazingly comfortable to play standing up. They sound great also. If you like the shape I say go for it they are really nice.
Pretty much this.
it'd be worth checking one out first to make sure you get on with it- they do feel slightly different (especially sitting down, but strapped on as well).

I'm not saying this to put you off- plenty of people love them, and you might too. Just it'd be worth making sure you're one of them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?