Well as a few of you know i was flapping over what amp to buy and eventualy took a gamble and went for the peavey. I must say, its way better then i thought it was going to be. The clean tones are lush, along with the lead stuff. The heavy gain stuff does start to sound slightly moddeld which is where my question comes in.

Any of you out their using the amp? I havnt had time to have a proper noodle about yet but was wondering what sort of settings you would use for a nice metal tone (killswitch etc) Im using a jackson dinky with seymor duncans.

Also, can anyone tell me what the usb output quality is like? I cant imagine it being up to much?

and finnaly is it possible to take that god awfull plastic wing thing of the front of the amp without leaving any holes etc?

Over all im super happy tho and only paid £360 for it in the end
Quote by RichieCrozier
[...]and finnaly is it possible to take that god awfull plastic wing thing of the front of the amp without leaving any holes etc?

Over all im super happy tho and only paid £360 for it in the end

Yes you can http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNiF1o214OA

But I can't help you with the sound. But you should be able to have good metal sound with it, because especially the peavey amp models sound really good on Vypyrs (6505, JSX, XXX). At least that's what I heard about them.
Last edited by Tomura at Sep 20, 2011,
^^ That's cool. I'm saving that for myself

Richie - I have a Vypyr 60. I'm getting some pretty decent metal tones from my amp and I'm using a cheap guitar with a JB type humbucker. Not sure what to tell you. Make sure the effects are turned off. Make sure the amp model is in 'red' mode (push the amp knob in so light turns red). Run the pregain at like 2 o'clock - 5 o'clock. Run the post gain at maybe 12-1 oclock. Run the master to taste 10-11 oclock.

Did you say the high gain sounds mod'ed or muddy? It is a modeling amp

This guy here on UG took his bat wings off too - but I couldn't find any tutorials on how to do it so I'm glad Tomura posted that link.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/dm_dex/IMG_6287.jpg

wesbanez is his user name I think - but now I can't find him
I have the head version. Easily my favorite amp out of all the amps I've owned.

I've had a lot of issues with the USB. IMO it's easier to use the headphone out into your PC/interface, that sounds good to me.

For KSE, juts play with the 6505 channel. Maybe the JSX channel.

I think the amp looks really stupid without the front panel thing. Not sure why some people like taking theirs off.

Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
thanks for the replys! Ive since got the amp sounding spot on for metal . Anyone who ill advised me that this amp was no good needs a slap. LOVING this thing! Personaly i prefer the amp without the plastic wings so im gonna be taking them off asap. Thanks for that link...