Sorry about the vague title, not 100% sure if this thread belongs here but I could really do with some help from people with know-how on building/repairing amps.

Basically, I have a Peavey Vypyr 75w and the fuse went (2nd time in a year for some reason) so I took it into my nearest Peavey service/dealer centre and they said they'd take a look at what was wrong (I only suspected a fuse problem at this point) and get back to me. Anyway, they called me back to say that the problem was the fuse and that they had two solutions. They offered to replace the broken fuse as one option, the other option was to fit a fuse holder and put a new fuse in using said holder for the cost of £55.

Now here is my problem. I'm not very savvy when it comes to the technical side of amps so I asked my teacher (playing for most of his life and toured round Europe with bands etc) to take a look at it. After checking the amp for the best part of 10 minutes he said there was no fuse holder of any kind fitted and that the only new part on the amp was the power transformer. Obviously I haven't gotten what I paid for (a fuse holder), so I was wondering, what would be a rough cost of a new power transformer? I ask this because I'd like to know whether they have really ripped me off, for all I know they could've put in a transformer worth £20 at most.

Any help would be much appreciated .
remember kids, you can't spell bass without ass

RIP Jimmy 'The Rev' Sullivan

Quote by _bacon_

Also, I would tap Helena Bonham Carter like a Van Halen solo.
A new PT could be well in the £55 range with some change. I suspect the old PT has a thermal fuse wounded inside that got broken. This way you can only change the trasformer to fix the issue. The question is, why the hell didn't they say so to you? Probably their marketing policy doesn't allow them to tell anyone that their trannys suck.

All in all, if you have your amp working good, I'd settle on this.
Thanks for the reply. If that is the case I think I'll just keep hold of it the way it is. I have to go back to the place for a power cable after someone there stole mine :/. I'll question them on it, if need be there are other places I can take it to to get checked out as well.

Again it's as you say, why not say exactly what they were going to do?
remember kids, you can't spell bass without ass

RIP Jimmy 'The Rev' Sullivan

Quote by _bacon_

Also, I would tap Helena Bonham Carter like a Van Halen solo.