Bit of a nooby question, I've just started getting into pedals, and i'm wondering, is it best through the amp, with the amp clean? or the amp with effects such as gain etc?

I'm currently using the G1 Zoom , and trying to get a high quality, distorted but sharp, rock n' roll sound.
You're not going to get a "high quality" sound with a $50 multieffects pedal, but as a general rule...run the amp as clean as possible and use the pedal for the distortion. The answers to your question are going to vary greatly depending on what amp you're using, etc. I have a 1976 Hiwatt Custom 100, and this amp just does not distort period until you get into ear-bleed volumes...so all of my non-clean tones come from my pedalboard. I run the amp super clean and have my pedals set up as "channels".
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
Custom Axe is right, that G1 is not gonna get you a good tone. You get what you pay for really.
The general way is through a clean amp and then adjust your pedals accordingly.
Killing you for a smile
Yes you should probably use the amp clean. But too many questions. For example if you were getting distortion from your amp, then a lower gain OD type distortion model may work. It also depends on your amp. If you are using an amp model with cab it may not play togeather with your amp and could be much worse if your amp was distorted.

My suggestion is when you ask a question like this you also give the model of the amp. If you are using a tube amp with FX loop then the correct answer may be plug your G1 into the return of the FX loop and use everything from the multifx. I'm not at all familier with G1.
Quote by TigerSteve
Custom Axe is right, that G1 is not gonna get you a good tone. You get what you pay for really.
The general way is through a clean amp and then adjust your pedals accordingly.

That's not what I said. You can get a decent tone with Zoom products, I used them when I was first starting and it was perfectly fine. But if you're talking about a "high quality distortion tone", that's not going to happen with a $50 pedal meant to be a jack-of-all-trades, master of none. Especially because the OP is probably using it with an equally cheap amp.
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
Yeah, well thanks for your answers, I didn't mean high quality in that sense, but just, the highest quality for the gear that I'm using. I'm using an Epiphone Les Paul special with a Marshall MG15CD, had them for about a year or so now.. I'm not a guitar noobie, but money is tight and I've never really had the dough to upgrade.
You're gonna need a new amp it you want to get good distortion tones.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food