Hey all! I'm looking to buy a new laptop since my computer is pretty cheap and can't play games too well. I'm looking for something that will be able to play Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, and probably Star Wars: The Old Republic on medium to max settings. For sure high to max settings on Diablo 3. Those games are probably the heaviest games, in terms of graphics, that I will be playing. I'm looking for something hopefully under $1000 and if it goes any higher, I'll just go for one I'm looking at for about $1500.
Desktops are much better for gaming, laptops have many disadvantages. Why do you want a laptop over a desktop?
Really anything with an i5, 4gb of ram, and a gt540m or better will do be solid. Past the gt555m lacks optimus (switching between integrated and dedicated graphics), which will kill battery life but you get some extra brunt. Screen res also plays a big part. A gt540m will handle starcraft 2 at medium details at 768p but will struggle at 1920x1080.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Laptops are for n00bs.

But seriously, desktops are so much better, especially if you like listening to music, because laptop speakers are shit.
Quote by FearMyLightning
But seriously, desktops are so much better, especially if you like listening to music, because laptop speakers are shit.

Is that seriously your reasoning? Seriously?

You have to plug worthwhile speakers into a PC anyway ....
Which plug all the same into a laptop

But yeah laptops are shit
Look no further than XPS or Alienware if you want a high quality PC put together for you.

But honestly, you sound like you know the parts that your looking for, why don't you just build it yourself? Always cheaper.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by Vypor
Look no further than XPS or Alienware if you want a high quality PC put together for you.

But honestly, you sound like you know the parts that your looking for, why don't you just build it yourself? Always cheaper.

Probably because he said he wanted a laptop, and you're too much of a dumbass to see that. Laptops are also weak as **** compared to desktops.
Quote by FearMyLightning
Probably because he said he wanted a laptop, and you're too much of a dumbass to see that. Laptops are also weak as **** compared to desktops.

Right, because its impossible to build your own laptop right?
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Look for some ASUS laptops they usually have pretty decent features, of course a desktop would be a lot cheaper. Avoid Alienware they are overpriced IMO.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
Quote by Vypor

Clearly, you don't know what you're talking about. Both of those are expensive as all hell.

Seriously though TS, if you care about gaming, get a desktop. Otherwise you'll be paying too much for an under-powered, albeit portable computer.

If, however, you are dead set on getting a laptop, look for 3.0+GHz quad-core CPU, at least 4 GB of RAM, and 1 GB+ dedicated video card.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
I5 2500k, P67 motherboard, 4gb 16000mhz ram, Cosair A70 cooler, good gaming graphics, 700 watt+ PSU, Case.

Overclock to 4.5GHz unless you have the money for a I7 but the i5 stock will do sweet 2!

Laptops suck.
Last edited by smokeysteve22 at Sep 20, 2011,
Quote by muffinduck01
Clearly, you don't know what you're talking about. Both of those are expensive as all hell.

Why is it you get the notion I don't know what I'm talking about? You can get an Alienware or XPS laptop for less than $1,000 that will run the games he is interested in. He said around $1,000 was his budget.

I do agree, desktops are certainly better for gaming, and both XPS and Alienware offer PCs that cost well over 4 grand. Just made a suggestion, way to be a dick!
Quote by Vypor
Why is it you get the notion I don't know what I'm talking about? You can get an Alienware or XPS laptop for less than $1,000 that will run the games he is interested in. He said around $1,000 was his budget.

I do agree, desktops are certainly better for gaming, and both XPS and Alienware offer PCs that cost well over 4 grand. Just made a suggestion, way to be a dick!

Alienware are so overpriced.
Quote by Vypor

But Asus makes them better. The G71 was a monster when I had it, and the 73 was a monster of a laptop, I7 with 8 gb of DDR3 ram, 1 TB hard drive, 1 GB graphics card...monster.

Now apparently the G74 is out...which is even more of a monster.....gosh...how can you not know about these...Alienware or XPS has nothing on the Asus G series.
Quote by ethan_hanus

Now apparently the G74 is out...which is even more of a monster.....gosh...how can you not know about these...Alienware or XPS has nothing on the Asus G series.

Didn't know Asus has a gaming PC line, I bought an Asus last year that had a lot of great features for photography related things. It was a touchscreen laptop, and the screen flipped backwards so it was great for demoing the pictures we were taking and editing for people. It did have its drawbacks though, the frame was cheap plastic and the mouse and keyboard weren't really comfortable, I assumed they were sort of a generic computer company like Acer.
Quote by Vypor
Didn't know Asus has a gaming PC line, I bought an Asus last year that had a lot of great features for photography related things. It was a touchscreen laptop, and the screen flipped backwards so it was great for demoing the pictures we were taking and editing for people. It did have its drawbacks though, the frame was cheap plastic and the mouse and keyboard weren't really comfortable, I assumed they were sort of a generic computer company like Acer.

Oh gosh no, Asus motherboards are some of the best on the market. They originally were a parts maker, but now they are making pre built PC's, and they like their hard core gaming computers...They usually keep them under $1500, and they destroy anything else for the price.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Does this really need to be asked?

I meant for gaming... Playing any graphics-intensive games on a laptop will drain the battery pretty fast, so you're pretty much stuck with it plugged in all day, in which case you'd be better off with a desktop, no?
Quote by SlayingDragons
I meant for gaming... Playing any graphics-intensive games on a laptop will drain the battery pretty fast, so you're pretty much stuck with it plugged in all day, in which case you'd be better off with a desktop, no?

Nope...if you're going to play games outside of your basement, then you have to plug it in anyways, you can't take a desktop everywhere with you.

Any hardcore gaming computer is going to use alot of power with a intense graphics card....graphic cards get stupidly hot when using their full potential.
Quote by SlayingDragons

If he wants a laptop then he wants portability, no? I'm sure gaming won't be the only thing he does with it. And not being at home doesn't mean not plugging in. The general public and your friends houses typically have outlets.
Laptops for gaming arent really ideal, but if you want one... MSI, ASUS, Toshiba and Sager make some pretty bitchin laptops that arent overpriced like Dell and Alienware
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
yeah I'm looking for a laptop since its going to be for my games and not really for the family and also I do not have the space for a desktop in my room (unless there are some pretty small desktops). I'm not looking to replace my current desktop since its still good for browsing the internet which is the only thing my family uses it for. When I install games on my current desktop, it starts getting pretty cheap and slow. But yeah thanks for the suggestions guys I'll check out a few and let you know when I pick a couple.
Laptops don't know bout my double videocards and liquid cooling system.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Quote by ChadLikesGuitar
Don't get Alienware, you're only paying for the name.

Seconded. It's just like buying a Mac.
Castles made of sand
Fall to the sea
Eventually
This thread should be on the front page of all newspapers around the world i believe.
Too many people suck @ computers.
Gaming laptops aren't ideal but they are sometimes the only real option. I'm in college now and needed a laptop so I got one that would handle, school work (a lot of photoshop), recording and gaming. A desktop would be more cost effective but I wanted one computer to handle everything. Much of the time it sits on my desk, but when I do need to move, having all my data and processing power in one machine is incredibly helpful. You just have to assess whether you really need one machine to handle everything.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.