Hi all, I've decided to treat myself to a new guitar, and have up to £600 to spend on it. I realise this isn't a huge budget, but I like to think i'll be able to get a fine guitar in that range.
At the moment, I have a gibson SG special, which I absolutely love, and an epiphone paul.
I currently run it through a vox tonelab into a terrible laney lx-65 (Which I will probably be upgrading to a jet city)
My favourite bands to play are guns n roses, AC/DC, Avenged sevenfold, metallica and aerosmith.

I love the tone of humbuckers, but I also want to have a bit more versatility in my guitar collection... I've tried emg's and didn't get on with them.

I have no problem with going used either.

TL';DR

£600 budget for a guitar to play rock on.

Thanks everyone
Check out the Iommi signature humbuckers. They aren't for everyone but I love them. Nothing like high output passive humbuckers. I've got the Epiphone Iommi Sig SG, great guitar but your probably looking for something more expensive, although I think it beats out the lesser gibson models rather handily.
Fender Mexican Strat?
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
To be honest, I'd focus on upgrading your amp first. Most of your sound comes from there.

Anyway, Epiphone is always a good choice. James Hetfield played an Epi Explorer in the early days.

I always recommend PRS, but I'm unsure if they have guitars in your price range. They can pretty much handle anything though.
gibbo LP?

failing that a used MIA tele though this might not fit in with the whole avenged & metallica image...
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
I was thinking of a mexican strat actually. But I know some people love them, others hate them, is there any reason for that, or is just one of those things?

And sorry if I didn't make it clear in the original message, but I have a separate budget planned for my amp, which is about £800, so this £600 is entirely on the guitar
Quote by slashfan226
I was thinking of a mexican strat actually. But I know some people love them, others hate them, is there any reason for that, or is just one of those things?

And sorry if I didn't make it clear in the original message, but I have a separate budget planned for my amp, which is about £800, so this £600 is entirely on the guitar

I've got two Fender blacktop Strats...very nice guitars!
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
i've got a MIM 60's strat and i love it!

it just feels right, but i may have just got lucky... or the people who say "MIM's are s*it" are just tards and elitist nazi's
Mim strat is a good call. Very different from your HB equipped guitars. It would make a nice contrast and vary your choice of tones alot. One of the most beautiful sounding rigs i've every played was Mim through a Traynor. That neck pickup was Hendrix.
Okay, it seems the general consensus is a MIM strat, which is what I was leaning towards anyway...
However, not to be a complete fender n00b, but are there any massive differences between a tele and a strat? Or is it down to me to try as many teles and strats as I can, and decide which I prefer?
tele's have a higher, sharper output on their bridge p-up than a strat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyKKMccRDpc the difference is there

Mayer's playing a strat, Brad's playing a tele

ok so they've got different pickups selected and they're using different amps but yeh.

strats are more versatile, they can do blues, rock, jazz, rythm guitar and lead gutiar.

tele's are a bit less versatile but doesn't mean not as good. they're twangier on the bridge and more "punchy" in the neck p-ups.

but it's an acquired sound, not one you can just 'make work', you have to want it (IMO)

so overall i'd go for a strat (contrary to my earlier post) and either replace the pickups or get a couple of pedals or spend the remaining £ on chomp bars or something xD
Mexican strats are good. And even if you dont like it, thy're great as a platform for modding.
Dude, where's my band?
Ever tried p90s? Ever tried p90s on mahogany? I like strats too but I got an old lp dc (copy) with p90s a couple months ago and I haven't picked up my strat since! P90s have changed my life! jk Definately check 'em out though
I have a 2010 MIM Strat and it's brilliant. The pickups aren't brilliant, but they still give you that trademark strat sound. It's a breeze to play. They come set up with 9's on them, and I swapped them for 10's within a week, and now I'm playing 11's. It plays like a dream with 11's/
So you're saying you have up to 900 USD? Seems like you could push your choices a bit more...
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Vox Night Train 15W
An ever-morphing BOSS and MXR loaded pedalboard

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
Quote by TomMon
Mexican strats are good. And even if you dont like it, thy're great as a platform for modding.

Mexican strats are amazing choice.
eh, i don't see why you'd get an MIM when you can get an MIJ tokai for the same, often less, money.

and yeah, strats and teles sound different. try a few and you'll soon recognise the difference.

p90s might be worth considering too, though they sound closer to humbuckers than fender-style single coils do, so if you want as much difference as possible from your existing guitars, then strat or tele might be a better call.

EDIT: ooh, you could always get the fretking strat model with the p90 in the bridge and strat singles in neck and middle. frets guitar centre (never used them, but they advertise in the guitar mags) has a deal on one for around the £400 mark. Very nice guitars if mine's anything to go by. And it might be the best of both worlds for what you want- the p90 in the bridge has enough grunt for rock, while sounding noticeably different from your current humbucker guitars, while the neck and middle pickups will let you get 60% of the usual strat-type sounds.

unless you decide you prefer the tone of a tele, of course. fretking does a couple of tele copies too (including a sort of strat/tele hybrid) which might be worth considering as well (but as i said, i've only tried mine, so i have no idea if mine is a particularly nice example... but if it's representative of all of them, they're very nice guitars).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 22, 2011,