Hello, all. I've always been interested in electric slide guitar (although I do appreciate a good Dobro every now and again), and I've decided that I want to try and get in on it. I play a lot of blues and jazz music, so I figured a good glass slide would serve me well. I've tried playing slide a few times (in standard and in open E tunings) but I just can't seem to grasp the technique. So far, the only influences I have to draw on are Duane Allman, Derek Trucks, and Warren Hayes, but influence only goes so far when you have no idea what you're doing.

Any advice on how to get started? My guitar teacher isn't too knowledgeable on the subject, and I'm not a fan of using books, as egg headed as that may be. But if I must, I must...

(Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, by the way...Thanks a lot!)
There are two essential styles of playing slide. The first is the standard blues/accompaniment style where you put the guitar in open tuning and play rhythmic figures and runs and fills to accompany a song. (also used in various ethnic styles)
The second is to use the slide lines in the same manner a lead guitarist would, playing mostly single-note lines to back up or fill in the music in a band setting.
That's pretty much what Allman was doing.

In either style, you need proper technique; muting the strings behind the slide (normally with the index finger) placing the slide directly over the fret, developing a good vibrato technique, and also the ability to play single notes cleanly with the slide.
There's plenty of instructional stuff available, for blues look to masters like Bob Brozman and Roy Rogers and Johnny Winter.
I am still pretty much a beginner at slide too. These videos are good;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvL5VodllOU

I recommend open G tuning.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Sep 21, 2011,