Hey

Well today my 6" jensen speaker (i think it's called the chicago 615) arrived and i installed it in my fender champion 600, as well as replacing the stock EHX tubes with some JJs - mostly because the EHX tubes were on the way out and i like JJs better

I've got some sound comparisons on my profile, although i don't think they do the improvement justice! for some reason i was getting a lot of digital aliasing on them, a horrible grainy sound in the very high frequencies. to top it all off i wasn't able to do any middle-position recordings as the pickup selector on my les paul needs a good clean, and i'm having a "bad guitar day" as far as playing goes

anyway, review, if you can call it that:

the stock speaker had brittle highs, boxy mids and muddy lows. with single coil equipped guitars it sounded ok if you rolled back the tone but humbuckers sounded dreadful, especially if you turned the volume up to about halfway, getting increasingly worse the more you pushed up the volume. the sound just got more and more sloppy the more overdriven it would get due to the fact the speaker just couldn't handle the output...

ok maybe it wasn't that bad because i did manage to get some usable tones out of it. but then i installed the jensen speaker.

massive improvement. it still sounds like a small speaker, but it sounds like it's not being held back by the small speaker, now. the highs have a nice shimmering quality to them that wasn't present before, and the bass is a lot more solid and doesn't turn to mush at higher volumes. the midrange seems a lot more open, although the overall sound is still a bit on the boxy side like any small amp, it's just a much better sound. most importantly, the speaker doesn't start farting out even with the volume cranked - it maintains a clear projection, making the cranked tones usable, if still a little on the raspy side, but that's just what the champ overdrive sounds like.

tl;dr, it's a great improvement, but doesn't change the fact it's still a very small amp with a 6" speaker. if you want more of a full sound from a champ, use an external cab with some 12" speakers

so now that's the new gear day stuff over, i have a bit of an odd question:

does anyone have any suggestions on how i can stop the grille cloth on the champ from vibrating and making a buzzing sound?

it does it quite loudly once the amp is cranked up and can be heard very clearly, especially when i play the low E string. if i hold it against the front board near the edge of the speaker it stops, but i can't do that and play guitar at the same time
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
put some cotton in there?

stretch it tighter and re-glue it?

take it off altogether?

replace it with a metal grill?

duct tape?

HNSD

i saw someone on youtube had replaced theirs with a piece of fabric cut from a sack of potatoes that was roughly the same colour

i think i'll try all those things in the most logical order, easiest and cheapest first

i think the speaker is actually a little quieter than the stock speaker but that's a good thing for what i want to use it for
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.