I am about to buy a Jazz Bass and I would like a hardshell case but don't want to spend a whole lot as I won't be doing a tour anytime soon. I've found a couple of cases for about $50 but unsure on quality. Any input or experience? Or any other brand suggestions?

Looking at these two at the moment but leaning towards the Douglas:

Musicians Gear Deluxe Bass Case
Douglas BGC-200 Bass Case
I'd buy something a bit better, SKB is good... I've got one for my jazz bass, used it for the last 7 or so years without fault
---
if youre just going to be toting your bass around town and stuff one of those cases would be fine. i definitely wouldn't check it on a plane though...
They both seem good, Check the return policy on both, and google the name + review see what you can find.
I've seen both go through the studio. For what it's worth, the musicians gear one is usually pretty beat up while the douglas tends to be in pretty good condition.

Stick to local venues and bus rides, avoid planes. You'll probably be fine with either one.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Thanks for the input everybody. I think i'm going to go with the douglas. If the pictures are anywhere near the actual product it looks a little sturdier than the musicians gear case.
I own the Musicians Gear Deluxe Bass Case, and let me tell you now, it's pretty darn heavy. And it's pretty big and bulky too. I wouldn't recommend it if your going to be commuting a lot. It may be strong and durable, but in terms of transportation.. It's plain terribad.

So bulky and inconvenient that I've reverted back to my softshell carrycase, it's so much lighter and easier to carry.
There was once a wise Chinese man who said:

"All you can eat, $12.50"
+1 to the SKB cases. You can go with the less expensive Freedom series (I own many of them) or the higher-grade TSA series. Either one will serve you well.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Which Jazz bass are you getting? Anything Am Std and above will come with one of the chunkiest hardcases known to man.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
Which Jazz bass are you getting? Anything Am Std and above will come with one of the chunkiest hardcases known to man.

My American Standard Jazz V and American Deluxe Precision both came with very nice plastic contoured cases; not the big rectangles with the tolex of yesteryear (I've got two Fenders in those backbreakers). Did Fender stop offering the contoured bass cases?
This is the Fender Case these days.

Think the contoured jobs stopped in '07 or '08. Not sure.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
That thing looks like a case for a precision sniper rifle!
It is a pretty nifty case though. Those little notches on the top of the lid are meant to allow you to stack a bunch of those cases on top of each other and kind of lock them in place so they don't slide.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Nothing that fancy. Im getting the Squier Classic Vibe 60s. I played a used one at a guitar center and it felt really nice. Unfornutaley they sold it before I could return and buy so Im going to have to go new but oh well. I just wanted a case for it as this will be my first nice bass and I want to protect my investment. But at the same time I dont want to spend half of what the bass is worth on a case.

I searched SKB Freedom and found one on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/SKB-Electric-Rectangular-Hardshell-standard/dp/B000P5PKTG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1316623445&sr=8-3
This it? Doesnt say Freedom series but its SKB for $65
Last edited by glennick at Sep 21, 2011,
Quote by consecutive e
This is the Fender Case these days.

Think the contoured jobs stopped in '07 or '08. Not sure.

They stopped in '08 IIRC.

Since my P bass came in one when I bought it 3 years ago.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by glennick
Nothing that fancy. Im getting the Squier Classic Vibe 60s. I played a used one at a guitar center and it felt really nice. Unfornutaley they sold it before I could return and buy so Im going to have to go new but oh well. I just wanted a case for it as this will be my first nice bass and I want to protect my investment. But at the same time I dont want to spend half of what the bass is worth on a case.

I searched SKB Freedom and found one on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/SKB-Electric-Rectangular-Hardshell-standard/dp/B000P5PKTG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1316623445&sr=8-3
This it? Doesnt say Freedom series but its SKB for $65

This is a very good, rugged case for your Bass, solid clasps and hinges, durable shell, decent foam solidness and soft interior. I don't think it would hold up for years and years if your a professional traveling musician, but for the weekend gigger I've had no complaints at all.